Old 03-24-2021, 07:15 PM
Senior Chief

Default 69 Firebird Smog

Looking for any and all smog equipment for a 69 V8.

Thanks KC

Old 03-24-2021, 10:22 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum Chief View Post
Looking for any and all smog equipment for a 69 V8.

Thanks KC
So Tom has informed me 69 Birds did not have smog even in Calif. so any 1970 smog equipment would be considered.

Thanks KC

Old 03-26-2021, 11:15 PM

I have a 69 350HO bird, bought it in 1976, Calif car and it has three smog items on it: A thermaciter valve, mounts on the water crossover on the intake, controls vacuum to dist adv, and air cleaner. Air cleaner, it has a vacuum controlled flapper valve in the intake nozzle with a foil tube that connects to the tin work on the exh manifold, for exh manifold heat during warmup. and third, a flapper valve on the pass side exhaust manifold to force exh up and under intake manifold during warmup. These are the three factory things the smog shops used to check for back in the day. No air ports, smog pumps, etc. I believe that Pontiac used 194 degree thermostats in their engines, running them a little hotter made them run clean enough to pass emissions without all the smog stuff that all other GM cars required.

Old 03-27-2021, 09:00 AM
Senior Chief

Default Smog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455dude View Post
I have a 69 350HO bird, bought it in 1976, Calif car and it has three smog items on it: A thermaciter valve, mounts on the water crossover on the intake, controls vacuum to dist adv, and air cleaner. Air cleaner, it has a vacuum controlled flapper valve in the intake nozzle with a foil tube that connects to the tin work on the exh manifold, for exh manifold heat during warmup. and third, a flapper valve on the pass side exhaust manifold to force exh up and under intake manifold during warmup. These are the three factory things the smog shops used to check for back in the day. No air ports, smog pumps, etc. I believe that Pontiac used 194 degree thermostats in their engines, running them a little hotter made them run clean enough to pass emissions without all the smog stuff that all other GM cars required.
Thanks for the response.
I`m looking for this stuff.

Thanks KC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3183.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	563467