Old 03-22-2021, 03:04 PM
Senior Chief

Great Work!!!

Old 03-22-2021, 08:51 PM

Default You’re crushing it!

Roger, since October you’ve been absolutely crushing it!! I’ve got a ‘69 Liberty Blue Vert as well
I picked up last year and love watching your build’s progress! Keep up the great work, I’m tired just re-scrolling through the pages of pics. 😁

68 Mustang FB-Green/Black (Bullitt)
Old 03-23-2021, 06:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been watching in amazement. So many of these pics are nearly identical to ones from my 68 restoration. I have hundreds of pics of nearly the same repairs & paint stages. Biggest difference is the timeline. It's unreal & setting a record pace without question. I worked tirelessly the last 4 years to finish my 68 , but It took me 18 years in total. Went on the back burner many many times while taking a backseat to other projects. I had often wondered if it would ever get finished, This is Quite amazing!

Roger is Making full time restoration shops look slow.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
The Following User Says Thank You to 68ragtop For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2021, 05:39 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by tininjun68 View Post
Roger, since October you’ve been absolutely crushing it!! I’ve got a ‘69 Liberty Blue Vert as well
I picked up last year and love watching your build’s progress! Keep up the great work, I’m tired just re-scrolling through the pages of pics. 😁
He is giving me a lot a bad ideas. LOL, I want to do the same thing. That’s a lot of work. Marc

Old 03-24-2021, 11:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the compliments guys!
I just keep after it at what I feel is a steady but slow pace. Seldom work more than 6 hours a day on it and take many breaks and some full days off. Covid keeps me home more and thus has led to a faster pace as well. No vacations and haven't even been to any kind of car show since It began. Another thing that is nice is I rarely have to do yard work even though we live on a 4 acre property. My wife loves landscaping and is a registered Master Gardener. She'd rather I'd stay away from mowing as I always mow over something she was trying to grow. We do have a nice zero turn radius riding mower that is kind of fun to use.

I am planning on a couple of extended breaks from working the car this summer when the heat sets in.
Really I'm just lucky to be able to do this in retirement. When I did work, it was I what I looked forward to be able to do when I thought about retirement.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
Old 03-24-2021, 07:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Kind of a milestone today. I've finished blasting the body shell.

I didn't see a need to blast 100% off of the floor. Only the low spots had any surface rust at all and I blasted those clean.

I also blasted the driveshaft:

After I get all the blasting media out of the body and get the room cleaned up real well, I'll put some urethane seam sealer on the body in places and then get it in epoxy primer.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
Old 03-27-2021, 07:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Underbody and firewall are painted with epoxy.

In preparation for painting the underbody, I added some seam sealer and installed the floor plugs.
Before applying any seam sealer, I brushed SPI epoxy primer onto the places first. I used some 3M urethane seam sealer and also some Evercoat brush-on seam sealer which is gray. I installed the floor plugs using the seam sealer as an adhesive and covered the edges with the brush-on.
Underneath, I only used the seam sealer on the toe-board to floor pan seam and in the wheel wells were the outer and inner wheelhouses join.

I sprayed the SPI epoxy primer on today using an Iwata LPH-400 gun with the Devillbiss DeKups spray cup system which allows the gun to spray completely up-side-down. As I did with the frame, I sprayed 2 coats of epoxy with the first coat in gray and second in black as it helps get a more even coat on the 2nd coat that way.

Gray coat:

And the black coat:

The Following User Says Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2021, 09:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up

Wow, that's coming along really nicely!

Old 03-28-2021, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Your lucky your not my neighbor

Old 03-28-2021, 10:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andretti View Post
Wow, that's coming along really nicely!
Thanks! I feel it is too. At this point I think it's time to spend more time on the installing the suspension onto the frame. I'm thinking my Art Carr transmission should be here in another 2 to 3 weeks and I intend to stop by the machine shop and see if he's started on my engine yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
Your lucky your not my neighbor
I doubt that!

I left out one photo from yesterday.
Here's a shot of that Evercoat brush-on seam sealer. It seems like very good stuff but it is pretty stinky.

Old 03-28-2021, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fantastic!

67 Bonneville 428 convertible one of one Verdoro green w/parchment, documented GM brass hat parade car with every option for 67, non running MAJOR future project.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That 200 4R's another good choice fitting well with some of the other upgrades you're giving her.
God, that girl's gonna be sooo spoiled!

Old 04-05-2021, 08:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Updates

I got some suspension parts painted with epoxy primer:

I got the brake backing plates painted, pressed new lugs into the new axles and installed got them installed:

I dropped by the interior shop last week and he had gotten the seats all broken down and the frames were already back from getting powder coated. They look really nice:

He did not send the rear panels out for powder coating so I took them back home with me and will clean them up and paint with epoxy primer. I also brought back many of the small parts to clean up or replace with new.

I also dropped by the machine shop last week to drop off the new water pump that had been back-ordered and he said he planned on starting on my engine this week. I ordered a new set of spark plugs, spark plug wires and a loom set and I'll take those over when I receive them.

Since my goal is to have my suspension all installed and have my chassis able to roll soon, I needed to decide what I wanted to do for a steering box. After a lot of research, I decided to get a new Borgeson 800 box and got that ordered from Ames.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Several more things done since my last post.

I got the rear suspension installed. Some brake lines too. I bought the frame supports from Inline Tube and painted with epoxy as they come unpainted. Everything I've read says its a good thing to add them as the factory did on the 4 speed cars only.

I painted the new drums and brake cylinders with Duplicolor cast color to hinder them from rusting.

I started assembling the front suspension too. I'm ready to install the springs but I'm waiting for a new spring compressor that I ordered. I have one but don't trust it anymore and I'm not sure I would trust the loaners from Autozone either. The one I ordered is an OTC 7045B but it is backordered so it may be a while before I get it.

I got my Borgeson 800 steering box delivered and installed. The reviews on this are excellent.

These cross shafts are original but all the hardware is new. I recorded what the old shims were and installed new shims that were the same size to use as a starting point for an alignment. The upper and lower bushings are Prothane. The seller of the car had bought these. I greased them up well with their special grease. I bought a tub of it as I wanted to put more on than the little tubes they give you.
The rear bushings are all stock-type Moog replacements.

I also started working on the interior and seat parts that I brought back home from the interior shop last week.

I used a stripping disc to get the glue off the rear panels and blasted them. I'll paint these with SPI epoxy at the same time as when I paint the body floor. I'm planning on doing that fairly soon.

I also blasted, painted and lubed the bucket seat tracks. I used motorcycle chain lube that's kind of a wax designed so dust and dirt doesn't readily stick to it.

Here's the rest of the parts I need to go thru and decide what to clean up and what to replace.

I stopped by the machine shop this morning to take him some parts that I had bought. Spark plugs, wires, loom kit and an oil filter. He said he won't be able to start on the engine this week but next week sounds like a for sure.
I'm thinking my Art Carr 200-R4 should be here next week if he sticks to the 1 month estimate he gave me.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking like your back on Red Bull punching forward. Things are starting to take form. Cheers

Old 04-07-2021, 09:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
Looking like your back on Red Bull punching forward. Things are starting to take form. Cheers
Lol! Thanks! Mechanic work goes faster than body work.

Oops, posted a couple of duplicate photo. This is the one I meant to have there that slows the frame/control arm braces:

And the duplicate the end was this one:

Last edited by roger1; 04-07-2021 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

WOW...I am so impressed. Where did you get the hardware for the rear control arms, braces etc?

Old 04-08-2021, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow...you are one competent human restoration machine! Thanks for posting all your progress. Very educational and motivational.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Excellent work!

Old 04-08-2021, 11:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks guys!
I'm glad to take these photos and do this documentation for showing here. It's part of the fun. I get to show off a bit and it has the possibility to help others.

I bought the hardware for the rear from Rock Auto and Inline Tube. I was a few bolts short so I also bought a few grade 8 bolts from a local hardware store. When I buy from Rock Auto, I usually get ACDelco and that is the what the rear drums and front rotors are.

I meant to show this photo yesterday.
I painted all the steering linkage parts with Duplicolor cast engine enamel and the dust shields with aluminum paint. I've got new Timken bearings so it's all ready to install once I get the springs in.