67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 03-29-2021, 10:00 PM

Default 1967 gas cap. Vented (?)

My 1967 Firebird has a non vented tank and the cap on it now is a true vent cap (allows ventilation both ways, in and out) but it is pretty old and worn out. (See photo of old cap)

So I went and got one at Napa which looks similar but apparently has a check valve which will allow vapor to only enter the tank and not exit. It's an anti surge according to Stant.

The issue I have is that pressure is building in the tank when.it sits in my garage which is concerning. It makes a big whoosh sound when I open the cap and I've read of fuel sender gaskets getting blown out

I cannot seem to find another true vent cap which I already have.

Is this tank meant to be under pressure?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210329_165607.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	563668  

Old 03-30-2021, 12:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That doesn’t look like a vented cap, it looks like a sealed cap designed for vented tanks.

I don’t know 67-68’s very well but in 69 early cars used non vented caps (vented tank) but later built cars needed vented caps because the factory deleted the tank venting system during the model run. By memory all factory vented caps of the era were anti-surge meaning they would let vapors in and out but not liquid fuel. In practice they all leak gas if you jacked up the front of a car with a full tank.

You absolutely don’t want vacuum building in the tank when you drive, it can starve the engine for fuel on the highway which can overheat the engine and burn valves. Inversely when parked in the sun a sealed tank and cap can spray your face with gas when you remove the cap.

Under extreme vacuum situation in the tank you can actually collapse it .

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
The Following User Says Thank You to north For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2021, 10:58 AM

Thank you North.
The tank itself on my car is non vented. The old cap in the photo is vented for vapor passage both ways.

I checked it by filling it with fluid and the fluid ran out through a widened gap on the handle side.

If the seal in my old cap was not crispy, I'd just keep using it.

So a couple days ago I got a cap at napa supposedly for my 67 non vented tank. I didn't notice but the new cap has a check valve that only let's vapor come into the tank and not out.

That's great except for when I removed the cap, there was a big whoosh of pressure in the tank.

I've read that that much pressure can and has blown out fuel sender gaskets.

I cannot find a cap with a true vent like mine in the picture. All seem to be the same: Vented Anti Surge, which if you research, have a one way only check valve.

So to my origin question for guys with a non vented tank on a 1967 firebird who are not using a factory cap, do you just live with a sometimes pressurized fuel tank, or is there another cap available?

Old 03-30-2021, 11:47 AM

I had the same problem, I took my smallest drill bit and drilled a very small hole in the cap. Problem solved.

IG: #67MoparBird (Follow my rebuild)
1967 Firebird 400

Appeared on Gearz, Season 16, Episode 1, Segment 'What Are You Working On?'
The Following User Says Thank You to DM3 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2021, 12:24 PM

Have seen a small self tapping sheet metal screw installed on the outside of the gas cap. Apparently, there was enough air space around the threads for air pressure to escape but was enough of a plug that fuel did not splash out . Looked wanky, but it worked.

The Following User Says Thank You to gokitty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2021, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodjohn71 View Post

I've read that that much pressure can and has blown out fuel sender gaskets.
Needle and seat in carburetor will let fuel through long before that sending unit seal blows out.

If engine is off when this happens.... Things can get ugly fast when trying to crank and a cylinder is full of gas.

Clay

The Following User Says Thank You to "QUICK-SILVER" For This Useful Post: