67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 04-03-2021, 03:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is a really interesting thread.
I’ve recently thought about how Inshould handle my car. It’s in need of some paint work to get it back up to snuff after years and years of racing it and I’m torn with leaving the interior which is really good overall, and floor pans and all that untouched as they sit w 15k racing miles on them and just painting or repair/painting the outer body shell re-chroming etc . I’m surprised so many people say keep it as it is Vs a full resto . I’d never have expected that.

I figured if I ever asked that question (here) the majority would say do a full resto . Personally I feel that so much of that car is it’s history how it got where it is today . I’d hate to change much of that if for no other reason than sentimental value since I raced it myself for 15 years. But that doesn’t make it the right choice .

I can tell you I asked some resto shops that question and they all said do a full restoration.
This at/a is a time capsule of kinda like to see it in its current state personally. And based on how many people go to barn find websites and things like that Id guess a lot of people would like to see this trans am as it sits There’s so many restored cars right now they are awesome and I like seeing those too but I personally would like to see more day2 cars done period correct and survivor cars to break things up a little .

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
The Following User Says Thank You to turbo69bird For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2021, 02:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69bird View Post
This is a really interesting thread.
I’ve recently thought about how Inshould handle my car. It’s in need of some paint work to get it back up to snuff after years and years of racing it and I’m torn with leaving the interior which is really good overall, and floor pans and all that untouched as they sit w 15k racing miles on them and just painting or repair/painting the outer body shell re-chroming etc . I’m surprised so many people say keep it as it is Vs a full resto . I’d never have expected that.

I figured if I ever asked that question (here) the majority would say do a full resto . Personally I feel that so much of that car is it’s history how it got where it is today . I’d hate to change much of that if for no other reason than sentimental value since I raced it myself for 15 years. But that doesn’t make it the right choice .

I can tell you I asked some resto shops that question and they all said do a full restoration.
This at/a is a time capsule of kinda like to see it in its current state personally. And based on how many people go to barn find websites and things like that Id guess a lot of people would like to see this trans am as it sits There’s so many restored cars right now they are awesome and I like seeing those too but I personally would like to see more day2 cars done period correct and survivor cars to break things up a little .
They are only original once. Restoring it erases all that.

Adding your car's history and looking at it as a "time capsule" pretty much answers your question. Leave as is, just clean it up. Enjoy!

Old 04-03-2021, 06:29 PM

I've had my 69 TA for 22 years which I purchased it from the 2nd owner who raced it extensively along with the first owner until the engine blew #4 bearing. In this TA's case, there was no choice but to restore it as just about all the parts were with it just in boxes and some rust had taken it's toll So I knew what I was in for with lots of time, $$$, diligence and research, which took it back to show original condition. Not sure I want to ever do it again but have done several 69 FB's before this TA and think I'm done with restoes for a while. Just enjoy these time capsules any way you want em !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1969-pontiac-trans-am-trans-am-nationals.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	564031