Old 02-20-2021, 11:31 AM

Default Anyone put a borgeson steering rack in their big body?

Hey guys,

https://www.borgeson.com/xcart/produ...cat=148&page=1

I came upon this and i really want to upgrade the steering in my 63 Catalina. Unfortunately it says it only fits 64 and up. I’m not aware of changes between the two years. Can anyone help me out and let me know if there are any real differences?

Old 02-20-2021, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntedCatalina View Post
Hey guys,

https://www.borgeson.com/xcart/produ...cat=148&page=1

I came upon this and i really want to upgrade the steering in my 63 Catalina. Unfortunately it says it only fits 64 and up. I’m not aware of changes between the two years. Can anyone help me out and let me know if there are any real differences?

Do you have a link to the conversion you’re referring to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-02-2021, 12:30 PM
Suspended

The steering linkage on the 63 is really not a bad set up to begin with.. I would look for the heavy duty idler arm with the bearings and beef up the frame where it connects.

The issue on that car is in the upper control arm contact points. They need cut off and centered then moved back 2" to give you the ability to bring the cars suspension into this century by using positive caster and also be able to use cross caster to relieve the cars tendency to drift to the right.... I've seen them off by 3"!!! allready.. Rubber control arm bushings and sloppy bias ply tires masked all this. When we started putting radials on them everything showed up..

I would also look for a pair of 61-62 B body upper control arms. they came with solid bushings. These really straighten up things and bring a more positive and confident feel to the car when at high speed..

Keep in mind that cars suspension is only going to go so far.. Throwing expensive parts isn't going to do it.. A\I know a few people who ended up cutting the whole thing off and putting the front frame and suspension of a 69 to 72 Pontiac Grand Prix or the 70 to 76 big car. You want the steering linkage to be in front of the front wheels not behind it..

Last edited by 389; 03-02-2021 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 389 View Post
The steering linkage on the 63 is really not a bad set up to begin with.. I would look for the heavy duty idler arm with the bearings and beef up the frame where it connects.

The issue on that car is in the upper control arm contact points. They need cut off and centered then moved back 2" to give you the ability to bring the cars suspension into this century by using positive caster and also be able to use cross caster to relieve the cars tendency to drift to the right.... I've seen them off by 3"!!! allready.. Rubber control arm bushings and sloppy bias ply tires masked all this. When we started putting radials on them everything showed up..

I would also look for a pair of 61-62 B body upper control arms. they came with solid bushings. These really straighten up things and bring a more positive and confident feel to the car when at high speed..

Keep in mind that cars suspension is only going to go so far.. Throwing expensive parts isn't going to do it.. A\I know a few people who ended up cutting the whole thing off and putting the front frame and suspension of a 69 to 72 Pontiac Grand Prix or the 70 to 76 big car. You want the steering linkage to be in front of the front wheels not behind it..
holy smokes! thats serious work. Im happy for your honest feedback. I may just do that and get some solid bushings and get polygraphite bushings for the time being. maybe even put the saved money into disc brakes instead.

Thank you

The Following User Says Thank You to GruntedCatalina For This Useful Post: