Old 04-14-2018, 09:28 PM

Default 70 Catalina 400 Hardtop Build Thread

In December of 2017 I purchased this 1970 Pontiac Catalina in Pharr, TX near the border. I had recently totaled my '06 F-150 after sliding into a Jeep Wrangler on a sleep hill in the rain, and was looking for something fun to drive in addition to my '98 Saturn SL-2 daily, which I had been planning to sell until I wrecked the F-150 due to it leaking both antifreeze and oil at an alarming rate. I put about $600 into getting the Saturn fixed up and running right, and then took to Craigslist and Autotrader to find something to replace my dearly departed pickup. After a few days of browsing, I came across a Verdoro Green 1970 Catalina on Craigslist. The car was advertised as all-original with only 70,000 original miles on the odometer and listed at $6500. The pictures looked too good to be true for the price, but after a couple days of thinking and getting other opinions, I decided to contact the seller and arranged to drive down to Pharr on my day off and see the car.

My day off rolled around, and I set off on an extremely boring 3 hour drive down I-37 to Pharr. About the time I rolled into Edinburg and got off on the access road to head into Pharr, I noticed that the Saturn appeared to be smoking from under the hood. I made it to a gas station in Pharr and popped the hood to find that the brand new valve cover gasket that had just been installed the week before had blown out and sprayed oil all over the engine compartment. The Saturn was pretty low on oil by this time, so I grabbed a 5qt bottle from the gas station and topped it off. I then babied the Saturn over to the address where I was to see the Catalina, which turned out to be a used car lot with it's own shop. I talked to one of the mechanics, who stated that the owner was not around but that he was expecting me and would show me the car. He retrieved the keys while I looked over the outside of the car, and then allowed me to start the car up and pop the hood. The car was a little hesitant to start and looked a little rough under the hood, but ran nicely once it was started. I took the car for a test drive and was in heaven the whole time.

Upon arriving back at the shop, I met with the owner and discussed buying the car. The car had also been listed on eBay and was sitting at around $5000 with no bids. I decided to go ahead and bid on the car via eBay since it would give me a bit of extra buyer protection, and placed a bid. At the last second, someone outbid me at $5500 and I prepared to walk away and attempt to limp my leaky Saturn home, defeated. I thanked the owner for the opportunity to look at and drive the car, and headed out the door. As I was about to drive off, the mechanic came out and said his boss wanted to see me. I went back inside and the owner said he would cancel the eBay sale if I could match the $5500 offer. I immediately agreed and headed out to get a money order, which eventually required that I drive to three or four different banks and eventually to HEB to get five separate money orders. I then returned to the shop and signed over the money orders while the owner filled out the transfer paperwork. I called USAA and had the car added to my insurance policy (the rep said she had owned a Catalina as her first car and that they were good cars, but she had no idea they made a two-door). As it turns out, it's a good thing I hadn't left before the owner called me back in. I had accidentally left the keys in my pocket!

The mechanic topped off all the fluids and checked the car over on more time while the owner and I made arrangements for him to take a look at my Saturn, which I would leave with him, and make the necessary repairs. I then transferred everything I needed from the Saturn into the Pontiac's cavernous trunk and set out for San Antonio in my newly-acquired classic. I stopped at the local Whataburger for a quick bite (I realized as I left the car lot that I hadn't eaten at all that day!) and called both my grandfather and my mother, who were livid . This is the Pontiac in the Whataburger parking lot:

The Pontiac ran like a champ all the way home, and was put away in my covered parking space until I could arrange to rent a garage at my apartment complex.

Since then, I got the Pontiac registered in my name with a set of restored 1970 Texas plates, replaced the valve cover gaskets (which I need to do again - they still leak), replaced the transmission pan gasket (which also still appears to be leaking), and a few other minor repairs. I still need to find out why the radio doesn't work, investigate a faulty reverse light switch, get the vinyl top redone (it leaks and I've been told it puffs up at around 60 MPH), rebuild the carb, replace the package tray (destroyed by water leaking from the top - I have a new one but don't want to put it in until the top is fixed), and diagnose why the heater isn't working. The car is also slowly leaking brake fluid, which I think I've chased down to the front driver wheel cylinder.

This is the car next to a '71(?) Oldsmobile 442 I ran into at the Tax Assessors Office:

Apologies for the long version of the story, but I've always enjoyed hearing the stories of how people acquired their cars, so I thought the detail might be appreciated. The car is a 1970 Pontiac Catalina, 2 Dr Hardtop, with a 400ci V-8 and an original optional 4bbl carb. The car was actually sold as a 2 bbl, but it currently has a Quadrajet and the scraps of the original build sheet that were left in the glove box confirm that it was original to the car.

After lurking on a couple of other Pontiac-related forums, I found them to be somewhat dead and decided to come over here for advice and to share my experiences as I learn from this car. I figured I'd go ahead and start a build thread to keep the information as well as my questions fairly centralized. If this is in the wrong place, or any part of it violates forum rules, please let me know and I will do my best to correct it.

Thanks,
kmeyer54

Old 04-15-2018, 07:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sure is refreshing to see that in a sea of everyday four wheeled appliances..

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 04-15-2018, 08:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very nice car! Once you figure out those minor nuisances you'll have a pretty decent driver.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:16 AM

Good looking car! The first thing I'd do is track down a set of factory shop manuals for it. Originals show up at swap meets all the time, or you can get reproduction manuals in hard copy or on CD-ROM from Ames Performance, the host of this site.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Good looking car! The first thing I'd do is track down a set of factory shop manuals for it. Originals show up at swap meets all the time, or you can get reproduction manuals in hard copy or on CD-ROM from Ames Performance, the host of this site.
I already ordered repros of both the shop manual and the Fisher body manual for the car, and they've already paid for themselves for sure. Those were probably the first or second items I ordered for the car.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:59 PM

The Pontiac as it sits today:

Due to some overheating issues, the Catalina is currently out of commission until I can put the new water pump in. I spent three hours going to five different parts places on Monday to get everything I needed, only to have four of the eleven bolts on the pump break off just below the head.

(Also, that Duralast creeper is crap. Don't buy those)

Now I'm waiting on delivery of a new set of correct water pump bolts and a set of studs that go between the fan clutch and the pulley from Ames. I'm also going to need to make a trip to Lowes for a set of easy outs and some extra drill bits.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very handsome car.

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 04-15-2018, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Valve cover lips are probably deformed from over tightening; bang them out next time and make sure you have those reenforcements that bolt onto the valve cover hold down bolts. Water leaks must be back window channel rot, even rust free cars go bad there with vinyl tops.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 04-15-2018, 10:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Cool, don't see one of those very often! My uncle Larry bought one new, blue with a white top, I'm guessing it had a 400 in it. He always wanted to race my moms L code 68 sport fury, but they never did.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

kmeyer54 - Very nice Cat! Was is originally a 2-bbl 400 then someone swapped a 4-bbl intake and Q-jet? It would have #11 heads with the 2-bbl, or #16's with the 4-bbl.

Either way, that is a Pontiac you don't see around anymore. Can't wait to see more pictures and good luck with the water pump replacement.

Dennis

Old 04-16-2018, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would REALLY like to see you use a fender cover in that #6 photo. An once of prevention...

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 04-16-2018, 01:40 PM

The build sheet confirms that the Q-jet is original to the car. The PO advertised it as a 2 bbl, but I'm assuming he just didn't quite know what he had.

As far as a fender cover - point taken, however I'm really not working around the fenders with the water pump replacement. I can do pretty much everything from the front where damage is unlikely. I will, however, move that set of wrenches off the fender if I haven't already.

'70 Cats do seem to be among the least common Pontiacs I see, which I'm assuming is because they weren't as "fun" as the Firebirds and GTOs. I get that comment fairly often. It's always nice running into people who have a connection to the car. I've run into plenty of people who owned one or knew someone who did, and I even ran into a guy at a gas station who had assembled '70 Catalinas at the Pontiac, MI plant.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

That car is nice!!!
I had a 64 Bonneville 4 door hardtop, as clean as yours, until a woman
sitting in the traffic lanes parked in the morning took it out...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 04-19-2018, 12:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I super happy for you, KMeyer! And I'm even a little envious. I luv the 70 B-body 2 doors since I'm on the planet as a result of one.

Incidentally, my Uncle is a "K Meyer" as well. Sure we aren't related?

I look forward to watching your progress with her!

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3
Old 04-20-2018, 07:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmeyer54 View Post
The build sheet confirms that the Q-jet is original to the car. The PO advertised it as a 2 bbl, but I'm assuming he just didn't quite know what he had.

As far as a fender cover - point taken, however I'm really not working around the fenders with the water pump replacement. I can do pretty much everything from the front where damage is unlikely. I will, however, move that set of wrenches off the fender if I haven't already.

'70 Cats do seem to be among the least common Pontiacs I see, which I'm assuming is because they weren't as "fun" as the Firebirds and GTOs. I get that comment fairly often. It's always nice running into people who have a connection to the car. I've run into plenty of people who owned one or knew someone who did, and I even ran into a guy at a gas station who had assembled '70 Catalinas at the Pontiac, MI plant.
kmeyer - You rarely see the 330 hp 400 4-bbl motor anymore. It's essentially the same 400 4-bbl as available in the Tempest/LeMans for automatics with the small valve 10 to 1 compression#16 Heads (76 -78 cc), 066 cam and the 7040264 Q-jet. Only difference was the exhaust manifolds and engine code, XZ for B-bodies vs. XV for A-bodies.

I hope you got her back together and running...and looking forward to more pictures!

Dennis

Old 04-20-2018, 09:31 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to David Brown

Don't overlook the radiator too. From the look of the water pump and bolts, I would think the radiator is partially plugged too. I think I still have a good 4 core in my shed. $50 plus shipping if you need it.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That 400 4bbl was actually first offered in 69 as a midyear addition. In 69 it was rated 340 horse but was basically the 2bbl 290 horse engine with a 4bbl carb; same cam, small press in valve heads, transmissions even axle ratio. In 69 they used the same carb as the 428-360 bonneville used. I've never actually seen one on a 69 but parted out a 70 with that engine a few years ago.

1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
Old 04-20-2018, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 400-340 is not mentioned in the 69 shop manual or the early printings of the brochures but its covered in bulletins. I guess they figured there was a gap to fill between the 400-290 2bbl and the 428-360 4 bbl. It was priced accordingly at $47.39 versus $105.32 for the base 428. I'd imagine that the 70 prices for those upgrades were a bit higher since most models of the Cat-Exec lines were downgraded to a 2bbl 350-255.

In 69 the 400-340 was only offered with automatic while the 400-290 and the 428-360 could be had with manual trans (3 on the tree only), was that also the case in 70?

1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
Old 04-20-2018, 04:45 PM

In reference to the Q-jet, I find it interesting that my Cat has a #7040263 carb, which from the references I've found online should indicate it was on a manual trans vehicle originally. I suppose it's possible that at some point someone swapped the original 4 bbl for a similar 4 bbl off a manual trans vehicle. Mine was auto from the factory.

Unfortunately she's still in pieces. I bought a stud extractor, which was a life saver for three of the four broken bolts, but chewed up the fourth stud until it was too small for the stud extractor to grab. I've drilled a pilot hole for an easy-out, but it got pretty late last night before I could make any more progress.

David, I'm going to take a good look at the radiator that's in it. If I think it needs replacing I very well may take you up on that offer.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It might be worth picking up a decent used timing chain cover, usually not too pricey (even the excellent Ames repro is only $179). Often when you break bolts into the aluminum the aluminum threads are pretty rough by the time you get the bolt out. Even if you do stay with the timing chain cover you should probably still have a close look at the front oil seal on the crank. With the rad and everything out of the way it might be time for a new seal and sleeve. If the car sat a long time then you start driving it the seem to invariably fail.

As for that carb, how was the vacuum supplied to the transmission modulator? The manual trans carbs are missing that front vacuum port. If the small valve 4bbl engines still used a Qjet with a different number than the other 4bbl engines you could probably sell your 4 speed carb for way more money than it will cost you to source a correct carb for your car.

1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt