Old 01-25-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Looks like I'll definitely be doing my front seats myself. Just got a quote from the local upholstery shop. With me supplying covers, the good foam cushions and an installation kit ... they want $680-850.00 !! That with the seat frames out of the vehicle, cleaned and ready to go. They said it takes 8-10 hours.

After reading this thread, watching a bunch of videos, including the ones from Legendary ... looks like a couple hours per seat even for a newbie.

Am I that far off base??
I would say that unless they are including blasting and powdercoating/painting in that price its pretty high...

Start to finish on an average pair of buckets- including full teardown, repairs, and re-installing all the trim parts and tracks... easily between 8-10 hours and that doesn't include wire brushing or cleaning or painting anything.

Teardown- 2 hours (takes longer the more deteriorated it is)
Spring repairs- ~1hour (can be less if there aren't any needed obviously- replacing complete spring assemblies still takes time to remove and install the new ones)
Install buns & padding- 1-2 hours
Cover install - 3 hours
Reassembly - 1-2 hours (reinstalling all the little hardware & trim panels, locating & cutting holes through the covers... bolting upper and lower cushions together, installing chrome trim on seat back & sides, etc etc)

I do these in my spare time, so there is a lot more stopping and starting which adds more time... but I have also done "emergency" projects and doing a pair of buckets and back seat start to finish can easily eat up an entire day.

Old 01-25-2021, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Truly fantastic tutorial, Rambow! Thank you for taking the time to share this information. I was hoping to redo the front buckets for my '66, and I imagine the process is largely similar to these '65 seats. And if I get into trouble, I see you are local to me.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
The Following User Says Thank You to ZeGermanHam For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2021, 03:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post

After reading this thread, watching a bunch of videos, including the ones from Legendary ... looks like a couple hours per seat even for a newbie.

Am I that far off base??
I was going to put my 2c in earlier today but thought I'd hold back until rambow answered. I can tell you that my time for the two buckets was measured in number of evenings, not number of hours!

Old 09-17-2021, 12:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just wanted to revisit this thread to say thank you to Ben R (Rambow) for creating this tutorial. It gave me the additional confidence I needed to attempt a complete overhaul of the front buckets in my '66 with zero prior experience. I really appreciated Rambow's comments about not freaking out when the cover doesn't look good at first and the need to see the process through. Very true! Gotta stay calm. I broke a sweat during the process, but the results are excellent. Here are some photos from my journey:

Starting point, original upholstery:

Midway point:

Final results:

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild

Last edited by ZeGermanHam; 09-17-2021 at 12:46 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZeGermanHam For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 08:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice Job Z. You get an A+ for paying attention in class.

Old 09-28-2021, 05:36 PM

Very nice work Z!!!
I just stopped in today, haven't been on the site in a while, and its so cool to see someone getting some mileage from my posts!

-Ben

The Following User Says Thank You to rambow For This Useful Post: