Old 01-28-2021, 10:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Rear Seat Padding From Ames, Doesn’t Seem Like Much Padding ???

The rear seat padding from Ames doesn’t seem like it would make a comfortable seat and ride for the passengers back there. If you have the Ames G36 catalog, look on page 30, there are two part numbers; 1) A132D: is a ¾” thick cotton pad an burlap and 2) A132F: is a 1.5” foam-rubber padding.

I guess A132F is added on top of A132D? Even still; these two parts by doing the math; 0.75” + 1.5” = 2.25 inches of padding consisting of burlap, cotton, and foam rubber covering the springs. This will certainly compress.

So, has anyone here done this? Was this enough padding? Did anyone here add foam?

Thank you all.

Old 01-28-2021, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hard to tell from their descriptions if they are replicating the typical five layers of cotton batting.

Check this thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=847677

Looks like the 3/4" kit is just replacing the first layer above the springs. For this first layer the factory uses a sewn together burlap/cotton layer that is below the additional cotton batting used as cushion.

Not a lot of info in the catalog but it appears the foam should be used on top of this 3/4" layer .... I think that's the way it was done on convertible rear bottoms, and bottoms 1970 and later?

Old 01-28-2021, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 72 convertible rear bottom I covered last year I did burlap over the springs, the foam and the muslin sheet material over that. Then the Legendary cover. This also helps to stretch the cover. I think just the foam would catch and not slide or stretch the cover as well. If you over do the padding, you will have a hard time getting your cover to fit well.

Old 01-30-2021, 08:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I called Legendary and PUI; neither company will have rear seat covers available until this June or July.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good to know, I was just thinking about ordering some. Guess the old ones will do for a while longer.

Old 01-30-2021, 02:02 PM

Did my back seat six months ago with a kit from Legendary.
It came with burlap to cover springs, 1 1/2 inch foam pad, enough cotton to make five layers, and muslin to cover cotton. There was more than enough cotton, burlap, and muslin to do the job.

Old 02-01-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015XDRIVE View Post
Did my back seat six months ago with a kit from Legendary.
It came with burlap to cover springs, 1 1/2 inch foam pad, enough cotton to make five layers, and muslin to cover cotton. There was more than enough cotton, burlap, and muslin to do the job.
The covers don't "come" with those materials, that is Legendary's Padding install kit. You paying extra for it and have to specifically order it.

Legendaries install kit is better and comes with ample supplies vs the ones that Ames/OPGI and other restoration houses offer that have barely enough cotton to fill out the covers IMO.