Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-23-2021, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Anti roll bar set up?

What is the correct way to set up an anti roll bar? I just seen a video of a chassis builder that sets them with the suspension hanging. I always thought you set them at race weight with driver in the car.
I installed a set of coil overs in the back of my 67 GTO. It still has the stock suspension points. I am trying to set side to side ride height. Do I adjust the springs to get it level or raise one coil over up a hole? Which would make the driver side up 1/2".
Or do I set the anti roll bar neutral without the driver (which is level side to side). Then when I get in it should stay level relying on the bar to keep it level?

Old 03-23-2021, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would say the roll bar is not a spring or shock.
It shouldn't limit the suspension like topping out or bottoming out.
It should only keep 'twist' to a minimum (or level horizontally basically).

So, car should be level (side to side) as sitting on starting line. Bar should be connected with no tension on it.
If it's not level side to side, then adjust shock/spring while sitting at line.

My 2 cents.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 03-23-2021, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Motion Raceworks Tech Tip Tuesday series has a roll bar setup video. Hope it helps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSit...rGpj-&index=22

1971 Trans Am Lucy Blue, 11.56 @ 115
1966 LeMans. 462, SD prepped Kaufman D ports. 11.90 @ 112
1976 Trans Am twin turbo 462, SD Edelbrock heads 8.50@159
2009 G8 GT
Old 03-23-2021, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can use it as a tuning device to add or take pre load off the passenger rear tire.

Old 03-24-2021, 09:48 AM
Senior Chief

With driver weight in car and tires aired up, I add preload to left coilover spring to bring height to level.
JRI doubles w/Landrum 10” 150 lb springs, compressed right spring is 7 9/16” and left is 7 1/16”.

At ride height, adjust the the anti roll bar levers so approximately level (horizontal) and neutral.
Adjust the anti roll right link to the long side of neutral to take up the slack.

Works for me.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:08 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
What is the correct way to set up an anti roll bar? I just seen a video of a chassis builder that sets them with the suspension hanging. I always thought you set them at race weight with driver in the car.
I installed a set of coil overs in the back of my 67 GTO. It still has the stock suspension points. I am trying to set side to side ride height. Do I adjust the springs to get it level or raise one coil over up a hole? Which would make the driver side up 1/2".
Or do I set the anti roll bar neutral without the driver (which is level side to side). Then when I get in it should stay level relying on the bar to keep it level?
I set them with the driver in the car at race weight. Run it neutral at first with driver. Like John said, anti roll bars are just for preload to make the suspension work evenly. Think old days with the air bag in the driver side spring... just moves weight from driver side to passenger side with air, or preload.

Final ride height should be set with the spring., not the anti roll bar.

I wouldn't recommend offset coil over heights, that will effect shock travel, and require too much difference in spring tensions. Technically they should be even.

The spring should not be at the bottom of the shock. Don't know what tire you run, but good idea to measure shock travel whichever way they are going...