Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-30-2021, 02:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My son got a job at Martin Brother's Customs this past summer (Iron Resurrection on Discovery and Motor Trend) and he really enjoyed working there. Joe and Amanda Martin are great people and they do their cars the right way. There isn't any of the "we're gonna lose the shop!" drama on the show, and they don't cut corners. Especially now that the show is a success, they can cut some of the cheesy drama out of it.

My boy certainly didn't learn anything about how to build cars on a tight budget though. Those are all "no expense spared" builds, and are true works of art all the way though. I did manage to snag a 1984 Blazer that they took in on trade. We are doing the budget build on that ourselves, and should have it on the road soon.

Roadkill Garage is better than Roadkill IMHO because they get into the tech side a little more. I really enjoy Engine Masters.

77 Trans Am, 469 w/ported E-Heads via Kauffman, matched HSD intake, Butler Performance forged rotating assembly, Comp custom hyd roller, Q-jet, Art Carr 200 4R, 3.42s, 3 inch exhaust w/Doug's cutouts, D.U.I. Ignition. 7.40 in the 8th, 11.61@116.07 in the quarter...still tuning.

The Following User Says Thank You to Navy Horn 16 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2021, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Horn 16 View Post
My son got a job at Martin Brother's Customs this past summer (Iron Resurrection on Discovery and Motor Trend) and he really enjoyed working there. Joe and Amanda Martin are great people and they do their cars the right way.
That's good to hear, I like that show as well. I think I read someplace that their painter (Shorty) left and started his own shop?

Old 03-30-2021, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
My son got a job at Martin Brother's Customs this past summer (Iron Resurrection on Discovery and Motor Trend) and he really enjoyed working there. Joe and Amanda Martin are great people and they do their cars the right way. There isn't any of the "we're gonna lose the shop!" drama on the show, and they don't cut corners. Especially now that the show is a success, they can cut some of the cheesy drama out of it.

My boy certainly didn't learn anything about how to build cars on a tight budget though. Those are all "no expense spared" builds, and are true works of art all the way though. I did manage to snag a 1984 Blazer that they took in on trade. We are doing the budget build on that ourselves, and should have it on the road soon.

Roadkill Garage is better than Roadkill IMHO because they get into the tech side a little more. I really enjoy Engine Masters.
Navyhorn, that is too cool. Joe Martin and his crew are true artists/fabricators as well as humble and down to earth guys. Joe's artistic and metalwork abilities are amazing and impressive, and the rest of the crew all have talent and a great work ethic. Cool stuff there. As for Roadkill Garage and Engine Masters, excellent stuff for the hobbyist as well as the seasoned old mechanic or racer. Just plain good entertainment with some great tech tips and zero drama.....for real people like us.

Old 03-31-2021, 11:09 AM

I love Roadkill Garage. I also love Roadkill and Engine Masters. With these shows, there's no agenda, no fabricated drama, and no wrench throwing - just good friends having a good time playing with cars. And while it's never an obvious display, all of the hosts involved have serious knowledge and skill sets, and even after years in this business I still learn new things.
In my opinion, Freiburger is an exceptional front man for our hobby.

Old 04-01-2021, 04:16 AM

Yepp, love roadkill garage, engine masters and hotrod garage, and almost every roadkill episode. Som of the roadkill episodes have been sub par, but most are intresting.
But kind of a spinoff on enginemasters is an employee of westech; Richard holdner he has his own youtube channel and test everything he can get his hands on, talk about burning passion for his hobby!

-469 ,Butler 310+ Eheads, Hurricane intake portmatched by butler, Butler roller 230/236 @0.50 112 LSA, Johnson lifters, pypes 2 1/2" exhaust, 3.42 yukon duragrip lsd, holley sniper efi, hyperfuel efi tank +++
Old 04-01-2021, 08:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by djustice View Post
Yepp, love roadkill garage, engine masters and hotrod garage, and almost every roadkill episode. Som of the roadkill episodes have been sub par, but most are intresting.
But kind of a spinoff on enginemasters is an employee of westech; Richard holdner he has his own youtube channel and test everything he can get his hands on, talk about burning passion for his hobby!
I watch a lot of those. The production quality isnt the same, but they are still fun videos.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 04-01-2021, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by djustice View Post
Youtube has many great videos and channels. From novice repair to in depth engine and chassis videos.

466 Mike Voycey shortblock, 310cfm SD KRE heads, SD "OF 2.0 cam", torker 2
373 gears 3200 Continental Convertor
best et 10.679/127.5/1.533 60ft
308 gears best et 10.76/125.64/1.5471
Old 04-01-2021, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Iron Resurrection is one of my favorite body shop shows, along with Bitchin' Rides - exceptional talent on both of those shows.

On the bottom of the list is Phantom Works and the drama queen Dan Short...

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grivera For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2021, 03:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
Iron Resurrection is one of my favorite body shop shows, along with Bitchin' Rides - exceptional talent on both of those shows.

On the bottom of the list is Phantom Works and the drama queen Dan Short...

My Navy Reserve job takes me to Norfolk VA and I go see Dan when I'm up there for work. Phantom Works is an incredible shop and the show doesn't really do it justice. Dan comes across kind of arrogant on TV (he's a retired Army Helicopter Pilot, and Helicopter pilots are elite individuals just shy of deity status), in person he's very humble and engaging.

The first time we met, I showed up in my flight suit right at the end of his weekly "group tour". After the common folk left, we spent a couple of hours cracking beers and getting the grand tour of his facility. As you can imagine, he isn't always thrilled with the final product after Hollywood cuts up hundreds of hours of film to produce a 45 minute show. The producers have their angle on what they think viewers want, and they produce that product. Dan likes the TV money and what the show brings to his shop, and I'd trust him to build a badass rig.

77 Trans Am, 469 w/ported E-Heads via Kauffman, matched HSD intake, Butler Performance forged rotating assembly, Comp custom hyd roller, Q-jet, Art Carr 200 4R, 3.42s, 3 inch exhaust w/Doug's cutouts, D.U.I. Ignition. 7.40 in the 8th, 11.61@116.07 in the quarter...still tuning.

The Following User Says Thank You to Navy Horn 16 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2021, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fantomworks is/was cancelled recently, I guess Dan was done with the TV crews interrupting his business:

https://www.renewcanceltv.com/fantom...rend-velocity/

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 04-13-2021, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I discovered Roadkill about 3 years ago by accident. Kept seeing the commercials for it but, as I do with most of those, I ignored them. Then one day it came on w/o me noticing and was hooked.

RKG is even better IMO, for slightly different reasons. It’s all about having fun and not giving a sh*t. The names of the cars are great...they do whatever the hell they feel like, make no qualms about doing things “wrong”, make it a point to discuss when it’s time for beer....( speaking of beer, those two on RK knocking back wobbly pops while rebuilding a carb, on a hotel balcony, was TV gold )....and they KNOW every human male into cars wants to see burn outs.

Fantomworks was mentioned, and that was probably my least favorite. Dan may be a swell guy, but the editors made him look like JA DQ. After witnessing him blow a gasket for the 100th time because a 55 yo car in from Ohio had some rust...I gave up. His show, while annoying to me, wasn’t in the same galaxy as desert car kings in terms of televised garbage.

Old 04-13-2021, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling money pits View Post
I discovered Roadkill about 3 years ago by accident. Kept seeing the commercials for it but, as I do with most of those, I ignored them. Then one day it came on w/o me noticing and was hooked.

RKG is even better IMO, for slightly different reasons. It’s all about having fun and not giving a sh*t. The names of the cars are great...they do whatever the hell they feel like, make no qualms about doing things “wrong”, make it a point to discuss when it’s time for beer....( speaking of beer, those two on RK knocking back wobbly pops while rebuilding a carb, on a hotel balcony, was TV gold )....and they KNOW every human male into cars wants to see burn outs.

Fantomworks was mentioned, and that was probably my least favorite. Dan may be a swell guy, but the editors made him look like JA DQ. After witnessing him blow a gasket for the 100th time because a 55 yo car in from Ohio had some rust...I gave up. His show, while annoying to me, wasn’t in the same galaxy as desert car kings in terms of televised garbage.
Very well stated, and I agree 100%

Old 04-13-2021, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Roadkill garage

Quote:

I’m gonna alter 52 percent. While it’s entertaining, I kinda have a problem with “cause Roadkill” mantra.

I spend some time with my nephew & some off his friends. I like helping them & trying to show them things I have learned over the years.

I think the “just get it going, then beat the F out of it “ message RK sends is not that great for the guys.

Just get it going, do doughnuts till something breaks, rinse & repeat is not a good message for young guys. IMHO.

Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 04-13-2021, 06:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh I get that totally, it’s not a show for everybody by any stretch. It’s just that it’s soooo different than all the others.

If I was helping a younger person, and they referenced RK, I would make sure to inform them what they do is not right. It’s funny, and at times scary/dangerous, but it’s not right. I liken the show to an automobile themed Jackass.

Old 04-13-2021, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Oh I get that totally, it’s not a show for everybody by any stretch. It’s just that it’s soooo different than all the others.

If I was helping a younger person, and they referenced RK, I would make sure to inform them what they do is not right. It’s funny, and at times scary/dangerous, but it’s not right. I liken the show to an automobile themed Jackass.

Yeah, I didn’t want to sound like a hate it. It’s funny in it’s own way.

I swear that Frieberger thinks up a name for a car and then buys the crap to build it.

I like Faster with Finnegan, HRG and Roadkill Garage pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro