The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 09:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I remember reading about your TA

Old 04-01-2021, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
That makes perfect sense. I'm the same way, I want to drive my stuff, whenever, however I want.

Having a car that's only worth, maybe 20K on the high side, allows me to do that.
I drive mine. It's a car. As long as you insure it properly, why wouldn't you drive it? I don't drive it everyday but I enjoy all my cars and driving them is a lot of the enjoyment. I always consider it a crime to not enjoy them.

The Following User Says Thank You to necdb3 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2021, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by necdb3 View Post
I drive mine. It's a car. As long as you insure it properly, why wouldn't you drive it? I don't drive it everyday but I enjoy all my cars and driving them is a lot of the enjoyment. I always consider it a crime to not enjoy them.
When I was shopping insurance on my bird, all the stated value policies I looked at have pretty limiting mileage caps on them.

I'm not sure I would want to insure a real TA, or really any investment level vehicle on a standard policy that you put on a toyota camry.

That's my main reasoning.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
When I was shopping insurance on my bird, all the stated value policies I looked at have pretty limiting mileage caps on them.

I'm not sure I would want to insure a real TA, or really any investment level vehicle on a standard policy that you put on a toyota camry.

That's my main reasoning.
If you use a collector policy for an agreed value, the only limit is 2500 miles a year. I don't put that on but that's a lot of miles for each vehicle. I don't leave the car unattended unless at a show, but even then, it's within eyesight typically.

Old 04-02-2021, 05:47 AM

Still it nice to hear cars are being found. I do know of a 69 TA sitting in a storage unit near here. Ram Air 3 4 speed with a replacement block, original owner car.
I have been trying for years to get it. Her brothers both had Trans Am's given to them as high school grad presents. A 71 with a 455 HO 4 speed and a 75 400 Auto car. Must have been nice.

Old 04-02-2021, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
If you use a collector policy for an agreed value, the only limit is 2500 miles a year. I don't put that on but that's a lot of miles for each vehicle. I don't leave the car unattended unless at a show, but even then, it's within eyesight typically.
Yeah mine gets driven 5-7k per year, easily.

Old 04-02-2021, 11:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Mileage allowed depends on the insurance company - some are more restrictive than others, and some offer different mileage limits depending on how much you want to pay. I'm pretty sure you can get 5,000 or even 10,000 miles, it just depends on the insurance company.

There have been a number of discussions on the board about collector car insurance, it can be useful to read through them to get opinions on the different insurance companies. Note that many people (including me) haven't had to make a claim, so their only feedback will be on how much the insurance premiums are.

Old 04-02-2021, 02:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Mileage allowed depends on the insurance company - some are more restrictive than others, and some offer different mileage limits depending on how much you want to pay. I'm pretty sure you can get 5,000 or even 10,000 miles, it just depends on the insurance company.
From Grundy's website:

"Grundy wants you to enjoy your car, not keep track of mileage like some programs with limitations. Therefore, we give you unlimited miles for pleasure driving and in collector car-oriented activities. It is even OK if occasionally you drive your collector car to work to show it off to friends. However, your collector car must not be used as a daily driver."

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 04-02-2021, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post
From Grundy's website:

"Grundy wants you to enjoy your car, not keep track of mileage like some programs with limitations. Therefore, we give you unlimited miles for pleasure driving and in collector car-oriented activities. It is even OK if occasionally you drive your collector car to work to show it off to friends. However, your collector car must not be used as a daily driver."
When I was shopping, they definitely had the most liberal usage policy.

I still didn't qualify. I work from home with no need to really drive around for anything. My wife and I have a single family car as a result and I drive my bird on occasions that I have to go somewhere, or mostly...just for fun.

No specialty insurance company would cover my car without also having a dedicated daily driver. I've worked in insurance and I know it's all based on actuaries, but it still doesn't feel good to be on the receiving end of what is essentially a penalty for living the way that is best for myself.

So, the car is insured with a standard policy through state farm, which affords me the ability to do anything I want with it, when I want to. Even if I want to take it to target and park it next to the cart return. Caveat being I'll get market value if something happens, which is no where near what it would cost to build one to the point I have mine.

Old 04-02-2021, 05:06 PM

OK, I'll fire the first salvo.... What would you do if you owned it,...Do you restore it or do you survivor it? Many good arguments on both sides!!

Old 04-02-2021, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenK View Post
OK, I'll fire the first salvo.... What would you do if you owned it,...Do you restore it or do you survivor it? Many good arguments on both sides!!
I'd probably survivor it, so long as I could get it to good mechanical condition relatively easily.

Old 04-02-2021, 05:26 PM

Quote:

Leave. It. Alone.

Old 04-02-2021, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another vote for survivor it.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 04-02-2021, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would do a frame on driver clean up,paint and call it a day.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2021, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Survivor it. Get it running and leave it alone. So much cooler IMO.

Old 04-02-2021, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Im sorry,just me,no way I drive any car around in that paint condition.Im a scratch and shoot guy.No 20K paint jobs for me.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2021, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Im sorry,just me,no way I drive any car around in that paint condition.Im a scratch and shoot guy.No 20K paint jobs for me.Tom
I'm like you, I'm not typically a "patina" guy. But, if the car has a cool story to go along with it and it becomes intentional, not just...I got lazy or didn't have the funds, I'm more on board with the survivor deal.

Old 04-02-2021, 10:51 PM

Pretty much 99% of these cars have nice shiny non-original paint jobs, and rightly so. Most have needed restoration, either minor cosmetic or major full on jobs.

It’s very unusual to see one that’s essentially untouched as far as body and paint are concerned. That rust coming up through the paint can be removed by a careful detailer without removing any substantial amount of that original paint.

That car would be an absolute standout at a car show that features other restored examples of the breed.

A careful touch up/paint blending of the headlight surrounds is the most I would do if anything.

There’s a lot to like about it being unrestored and untouched. Don’t paint it would be my advice.

A completely honest car with nothing hiding under new paint, refreshing to see and valuable in the eyes of many who appreciate these cars.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post: