THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-09-2021, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Battery powered mower

Who has one ? 20-22" Likes/dislikes

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 04-09-2021, 04:23 PM

I have the 21" Ego self-propelled ($699) and it cuts nice, and I can get my 8000 SF lawn cut with one fresh battery. Single lever to adjust height, no messing with gas and fumes. It had enough oomph to handle some of the taller cuts when I get a few days behind.

The headlights are of no use to me; Dislikes: it does not do as good a job vacuuming up loose leaves, pinecones, etc. as did my gas, I think due to the blade configuration being different so as to not cause as much drag. Also, it seems to spit clippings out a gap at the top of the mover flap/bag interface, so I place a small towel there, will probably put a piece of foam with self adhesive in it's place.

All in all, I am happy i switched to battery..

Old 04-09-2021, 04:47 PM

I've got a smallish yard (Maybe 4000sq ft?) and I bought one last year. A Ryobi. I don't know if I'd suggest that brand, when I first got it the darn thing would cut off on me randomly. But I think I wasn't watching the handle locks closely enough. Everything on the handles has to be locked for it to run. It's self propelled, but I really don't even use that feature.

Pros: Works with battery left over in a small yard. It's quieter. It's easy to start. It seems as powerful as the gas mower that died.
Cons: The finicky stuff I mentioned above. I'd probably go with an Ego if I did it again. But it hasn't given me any real trouble once I figured out the levers and all.

I don't think I'd ever go back to a gas mower after this. It's just do darn easy to push that little button and roll.
Only thing that worries me is the battery pack going bad. How long will Ryobi make that battery available? Maybe I can get a shop to rebuild it when it dies.

Old 04-09-2021, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximity_alrt View Post
Only thing that worries me is the battery pack going bad. How long will Ryobi make that battery available? Maybe I can get a shop to rebuild it when it dies.
Ohh yeah, forgot that one too. As a Con - batteries are super expensive....

Old 04-09-2021, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have two John Deere riders that I look at, don't mow with them.

Both utilize car batteries, so no problem there. Have posted picture of both before.

If I had a small yard (these will mow about 3/4 of an acre on a charge); I might use one just to watch the jaws drop on the neighbors.

I have mowed with them, and they will do as well as a gasoline version as long as one doesn't let the grass get over 6~8 inches tall.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 04-09-2021, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I cut grass with a 1070 JD and a 6' finish mower. But it's hard to get close to the house/garage with it. Just think'in I could buzz around the house/ garage , a couple trees with a small push mower.

Everybody knows somthin.

Old 04-09-2021, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does anyone make a robot version?

My son and DIL just bought a home with tiny yard and will give their 46" rider to her momma when they get moved there. I suggested they look at the E-go, but I don't know anything more, like who is the parent company and do they have a proven record with any other equipment?

Old 04-09-2021, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein View Post
Husqvarna does. I've seen it at my Husqvarna dealer. Don't know anything about it though.

Old 04-09-2021, 11:59 PM

I've got the 21" Ego without self propel. I have lots of battery left after doing my lawn. It also seems to charge in about 1/2hr. We really like it. Push the button and it works, and so quiet.

Old 04-12-2021, 11:00 AM

My EGO mower works great. Had it for 2 or 3 years. Got the EGO snowblower too and am surprised how much power it has.

Old 04-13-2021, 08:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat Racer View Post
I cut grass with a 1070 JD and a 6' finish mower. But it's hard to get close to the house/garage with it. Just think'in I could buzz around the house/ garage , a couple trees with a small push mower.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2021, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

With my shoulder issues, I realized one day when I was trying to figure out how to crank my weedeater that I could do something about that. I now have a Milwaukee string trimmer that works at the push of a button and is arguably more machine than the Stihl it replaced. My house is on a small lot and I generally mow the front one day and the back the next and then only about every other time I cut the front. Perfect for an electric mower. Gotta be self propelled though.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
LOL. I used one of those in the early '50's. They really were "self propelled".

Everybody knows somthin.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They actually work pretty good too...as long as it's not over rough, uneven ground.

Old 04-13-2021, 04:43 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein View Post
Reading reviews on them, there are a bunch, but the Worx 140 is the cheapest good one from the review I read. Cheap enough that I know what I'm getting for being a good boy all year. I'm calling it a pre-retirement gift to myself. Could have used this years ago, too bad we had to wait till now for them to be available.

Old 04-14-2021, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just ordered a Toro 21466 from Home Depot. $499 plus tax, free shipping. I currently have an aluminum deck Honda powered 21" Toro Recycler with the Personal Pace self propel (7 years old) and it's been great. It'll go to one of the boys. https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/wa...ce-mower-21466

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
I just ordered a Toro 21466 from Home Depot. $499 plus tax, free shipping. I currently have an aluminum deck Honda powered 21" Toro Recycler with the Personal Pace self propel (7 years old) and it's been great. It'll go to one of the boys. https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/wa...ce-mower-21466
Please give us a review later. Thanks OGR

Everybody knows somthin.

Old 04-14-2021, 02:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That’s all I want is another battery tool that goes dead before you get the job done.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 04-14-2021, 04:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have an Echo 58V string trimmer and a 3/4 acre lot. It will trim the entire lot around the edges and then do the other house without recharging. I'm very pleased with it so far.