THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-07-2021, 12:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought one of those metal framed creepers several years ago, and wondered why I waited so long. Much easier than crawling around on cardboard all day.

Old 04-07-2021, 12:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
A big cardboard box flattened out. It's smooth enough to slide in and out, and when it gets dirty/oily I can toss it and find another big box that can be flattened out.
Exactly ;
These work great.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Home...2020/313943164

Old 04-07-2021, 06:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The concrete is fairly clean, I just slide under the car.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Creeper if I have it high enough which is rare or a $25 track mat from Summit that is great on a cold floor

Old 04-07-2021, 07:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Central vacuum the garage floor, so i just get to it, no cardboard. clean rag for my head though.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
A big cardboard box flattened out. It's smooth enough to slide in and out, and when it gets dirty/oily I can toss it and find another big box that can be flattened out.

This, if I have one.
If I don't have one, I have an old canvas drop cloth, about 12' x 12', that I use. When it gets grungy enough, I spray it with soapy water and hose it down. Hang it out to dry.
I have a creeper... and use it sometimes.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It amazes me that you guys are all doing mechanical work under a car and hardly anyone uses a creeper. I remember as a kid the local service stations (yes they did mechanical work, and you couldnt buy a plate of nachos there) all had a sturdy wooden creeper for bottom work when there were cars on the lifts. I always thought they were the coolest things around and couldnt wait until I grew up (havent yet) to get one of my own.
Anyway, fast forward and about 25 yrs ago I bought a heavy plastic one from someplace. Has a hard rubber pad for a head rest. The wheels are under it so it has a bit of a height disadvantage. About the only way I can get my overweight 57 yo body on or off is to roll to the side and the creeper always flips and becomes a danger in itself. I hate to have to use it. A couple months ago, cleaning out a house I found a practically brand big red creeper with something like 6 nylon wheels, they are offset so the creeper itself is only an inch above the concrete. Adjustable head rest. That thing is like a Cadillac compared to my old POS.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I do have a nice creeper that I use when I can get the cars high enough. I use cardboard a lot. Or often I just mop my floor every once in a while so its clean enough to lay on.

The best I ever had was a 65" TV box that had really shiny coated outsides of. I cut the two big panels out of it. I used those two pieces for years. When they got oil or something on them I would just spray em down with windex and clean them off. That outer coating held up really well.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 04-07-2021, 10:23 AM

Shipping quilt and cardboard underneath it. Harbor freight sell them pretty cheap. Or just put it on the lift lol

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 04-07-2021, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Although I have used cardboard, insulation board, and rolled rubber roofing, it surely isn't my preference on a concrete floor. I'm truly surprised more people that posted, don't use creepers.

It's been mentioned that if the car is high enough they'd use a creeper, a couple more pumps of the jack and you can make it as high as you want it to be..........

If I need it higher, I put a 4X4 on the jack saddle to add a few more inches to the height. I also use 6X6 timber with a 2X6 for a ramp under the wheels if I'm just raising the front, or rear end of a car. I have a pair of 3 foot long 2X6s that I lay on top of the 1 1/2 foot length of 6X6, that tip flat when the car goes over the edge of the 6X6, that adds another 1 1/2 inches under the wheels. With a 6X6 measuring an actual 5 1/2 inches that gives you 7 inches total between the bottom of the tire, and the floor. Plenty adequate for me (240 lbs, 5 foot 11 inches) to slide under with a creeper.

After 50 years lying under cars, trucks, and construction equipment, I prefer to use a creeper, if I'm not on dirt.

We're looking to buy or build a home, my next one will have a lift. I had a garage built in the late 70s and added a grease pit, that was about the easiest way to work on the underneath of cars of all the ways I've used at home. No 10-12 foot walls on the garage to get enough height for a lift, also in the late 70s the only type of lift that was common was an in ground service station lift, which was much more work to install than an above ground lift is nowadays. The pit was also the cheapest alternative when building the garage, at the time.

I had another garage built after that in 1993 that I was going to put a grease pit in, but the water table was too high. It filled with water in less than 24 hours after they dug it, so it got filled back in, and a flat floor was poured with the intention of putting in an above ground lift, but divorce, and selling the home, screwed that plan up.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 04-07-2021, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
I bought one of those metal framed creepers several years ago, and wondered why I waited so long. Much easier than crawling around on cardboard all day.
I have been thinking like that. The last couple years I have noticed the monkey slide on cardboard was not fun anymore. Add in when I forget a tool or something and do it twice, which appears to happen more often now..... So I plan on buying something wheeled, after 6 decades, I fold........

Old 04-07-2021, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Its harder for me to get on/off a creeper vs on/off the ground.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Region Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post

It's been mentioned that if the car is high enough they'd use a creeper, a couple more pumps of the jack and you can make it as high as you want it to be..........
Ive got several varieties of ride, and there is a very clear difference in working room under them with the same jackstands.

I will say that getting the bigger 6 ton type jackstands was a game changer over the little 3 ton ones that most people start with.

My Willys MB and my 52 Gasser project both get way in the air and the creeper gets used.

My Firebird and 64 Ford on the other hand, just flat out dont get as high on the same jackstands. I often just lay on the floor with them.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 04-07-2021, 12:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Cardboard here. Do not own a lift anymore and the main reason is my shoulders are shot after all these years. I can lay on the ground with my arms straight out and push/pull what ever it takes.
But under a lift where my arms are straight up and I am useless.

Old 04-07-2021, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cardboard for 50 plus years.

Don't "slide" nearly as easy as I once did, so heavy duty six wheel creeper with lockable wheels.

But for most chores, I now find it easier to pay a professional who is also a good friend. Helps his business, and helps my back. But he doesn't do lawnmower blades. The creeper works pretty well under the lawnmower lift.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 04-07-2021, 01:22 PM
Senior Chief

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleO View Post
Funny you should ask. : ). (I finally have some time finishing up new TH400 instal).
Looks like my work station! Cardboard all the way...

Old 04-07-2021, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a scissors lift I use most of the time. I can get the GTO, the Focus [4 feet max for both] and Jeep GC up high enough [3 feet or so] to at least do an oil change, brakes, and other repairs if needed. The ceiling height in my garage is only 8' so I can't have a real lift.

I don't recommend the scissors lift as working on the center of the of a vehicle is a no-go.... only the front rear and side work is possible. Tho I do have cardboard handy if it's needed.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 04-07-2021, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by brians View Post
Cardboard here. Do not own a lift anymore and the main reason is my shoulders are shot after all these years. I can lay on the ground with my arms straight out and push/pull what ever it takes.
But under a lift where my arms are straight up and I am useless.
This is something I have been dealing with for 10~12 years myself. Shoulder pain, knee pain, back pain, pain of the day. So, my issue with working under a car has little to nothing to do with what I'm laying on. Heck, I can lay down anywhere...lol
My problem is the hassle with getting the car 3 feet off the ground using two floor jacks and placing stands, blocks, etc. It's an ordeal and why I have kinda, sorta been thinking about something like this design. Not sure on weight capabilities of this one (edit- 5,000lbs) but I like the open center. A big plus is that if we move, like the wife hints at occasionally, I can easily transport it and use it right away.. Just thinking...
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...UaAs4NEALw_wcB

Last edited by Greg Reid; 04-07-2021 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-07-2021, 04:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
The concrete is fairly clean, I just slide under the car.
If you lived in Ohio or Michigan you don’t lay on it it’s cold well maybe in July and August. I use cardboard a lot and I got some sheets 4’x4’ 1/2” closed sell foam pads they used at work for shipping insulation. They work great and you can just wipe them off for the most part.

Old 04-07-2021, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg, 1500 MG of krill oil minimum per day, 2 tablets of turmeric, boswellia, and trade name Move Free, by Schiff. You'll be surprised at how much better your joints will feel.

I also take Arthritis Formula timed release Tylenol twice a day, this has gotten me to be able to move, and do things, over just trying to endure the pain, then taking 2 days to get over doing something stressful to the body. YMMV.

Doing mechanic as my trade most of my adult life has really taken a toll on my joints, but with this regiment I can still get back up after lying under a car, before it was a real hassle just to stand up again.

I'm never going to be 20 YO again, but at least at 68 I can feel like I'm 45.....LOL

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post: