Old 06-04-2022, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Grommet for brake rod hole?

Simple question-Is there supposed to be a grommet, or something else to fill the hole in the firewall where the brake rod comes through?
Thanks.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 06-04-2022, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A '63 Lemans factory power brake option car yes; a manual 4 wheel drum brake car, no.

Old 06-04-2022, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the info.
This one does have power brakes. Quite a big hole there. I couldn’t find any listing for one for sale anywhere, so figured maybe there wasn’t one there originally, but like I said quite a big hole not to have something filling it up.
Anyone know where to get one?

Last edited by 67drake; 06-04-2022 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-05-2022, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't have a good pic right now but the next time I am over to the garage where my car is I will take a photo of the back of the vacuum booster so at least you can see what one looks like. And yes the hole is pretty big, there is a nylon inner ring inside of the boot where the pedal push-rod passes thru. And the outer larger piece secures to a formed piece of thin sheetmetal with a raised ring edge lip around the entry point into the interior. The sheet metal piece on my car was panted black as I recall.

That thin metal piece where the rubber "boot" attaches is trapped underneath the four 3/8" diameter holes where the bracket off of the rear of the booster is bolted to the firewall. If I had to say what the rubber boot reminds me of would be very similar to the flexible rubber covering for a clutch push-rod where it passes through the firewall.

Old 06-05-2022, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Serio View Post
I don't have a good pic right now but the next time I am over to the garage where my car is I will take a photo of the back of the vacuum booster so at least you can see what one looks like. And yes the hole is pretty big, there is a nylon inner ring inside of the boot where the pedal push-rod passes thru. And the outer larger piece secures to a formed piece of thin sheetmetal with a raised ring edge lip around the entry point into the interior. The sheet metal piece on my car was panted black as I recall.

That thin metal piece where the rubber "boot" attaches is trapped underneath the four 3/8" diameter holes where the bracket off of the rear of the booster is bolted to the firewall. If I had to say what the rubber boot reminds me of would be very similar to the flexible rubber covering for a clutch push-rod where it passes through the firewall.
Thanks for the info.
Seems like I get a lot of engine noise in the drivers seat as compared to other old cars I drive, and figured the factory wouldn’t have left a hole that big in the firewall. So it couldn’t hurt to put the proper boot/ grommet back in place. I’m sure a little heat has to be coming in too.
Any pics would be much appreciated !
Anyone got a line on a parts car? I can’t find anything on this site or the internet.
‘63 LeMans