Old 02-10-2009, 09:17 AM

Default 8-Lug Wheel Question

I just bought some BF Goodrich Redline Tires for my 1964 Catalina. The car has 8-lug wheels on it, and my question is how do you balance the tires? Do you use the rear drums and mount each rim and tire and hope for the best, or do you use a bubble balancer?

Old 02-10-2009, 01:38 PM

There's actually a plate that mounts to the rim and allows it to me mounted to the balancer.

If you search this forum there'll be a picture of one.

Probably the best way to balance them is on the car.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 02-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those balancing plates show up on eBay every so often, someone is remanufacturing them. The other choices are to use one of the rear drums to mount the wheel on the balancing machine, or as Mike mentioned find a shop that can balance the wheel on the car. It'll probably have to be an old time shop for them to have the right equipment, I don't think your Discount Tire employee will know what you're talking about.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Use a rear drum...........

I don't recommend the lightweight plates that are sold, as they are more appropiately used as a spare tire mounting plate. Shops that still have a working on-car balancer are few and far between: use one of the rear drums to balance all 5 wheel units off the car on an electronic balancer.

Les

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins

Last edited by wheelspin; 02-10-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you sure, Les?

I thought I saw a CNC version from Fabcraft or somewhere that was heavy enough for mounting/dismounting as well as balancing (which I agree the spare tire plate is not heavy enough for). I bid on it on ebay but did not win it.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 02-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The balancing plates and the spare tire hold down plates are two different animals.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	916f_1.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	157669   Click image for larger version

Name:	938f_1.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	157670  

Old 02-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl A View Post
This plate.
Ah - very nice.

http://mainelycustombydesign.com/index.html

Do you suppose that's heavy enough to use for tire mounting as well?

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 02-10-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
The balancing plates and the spare tire hold down plates are two different animals.

That is correct, and my balancer plate is a heavy duty thick gauge steel………

Old 02-10-2009, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow More info..................

The plate that I am referring to is the one manuf. & sold by the gentleman that makes the custom offset/width/diameter 8 lug rims. This is the most common piece that I have seen for sale @ Norwalk and various POCI National Conventions. It's nominally 3/8" thick aluminum w/ 8 short wheel studs pressed into the perimeter and a 4" hole in the center. It looks like a lighter duty version of the above pictured Mainely unit.

The spare tire hold down plate is a black-painted stamped steel disc, w/ a notched perimeter to fit around the wheel's stud positions, and is available from our Host for $39.

The Mainely unit in post #7 appears stout enuf to do the job, but why not use the existing drums for balancing and save the extra expense since all modern tire machines clamp the lower bead of the wheel rim to anchor the rim for tire changing?

Les

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins

Last edited by wheelspin; 02-10-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:44 AM

Smile 8 lug balancing

The 8 lug balancing plate was originally produced by Roger Reihl of 8 lug rebuild fame. He passed away several year's ago. When he was doing the hub relining, he came up with a plate that was about 3/8" thick to use for spin balancing on the newer balance machine's. Those plate's had just four lug bolt's to attach the wheel's instead of the newer one's with eight. They were also steel & not aluminum so a little bit heavyer.
According to Roger in conversation's we had, the original thinner spare tire hold down plate was used for bubble balancing since there was no way to balance the wheel without it. So it actually served two purposes, the spare tire hold down & a bubble balance adapter.
Which method of balancing is better I can't say but you have several alternative's to chose from based on the message's posted here. Good luck.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll chuck in some of my experiance with this matter:

If you don't have a heavy weight balancer plate, use a rear drum by all means but BEFORE you mount the rim to the drum, spin up the drum first. You might be surprised that the bare drum is out of balance.

Next balance a front drum but I couldn't find anyone who could do so with the rim and tyre fitted. So we mounted the front drums using a small Japanese car sized alloy wheel adapter, (take the wheel bearings out), spun them up and noted any balance discrepancy. Mark the drum balance spot using a small piece if masking tape so you know where to align the rim and add any weights required.

Now you know if your drums are out of balance and you can weight the rim accordingly after you spin them up using the rear drums. Carefully add the weights as required.

It's all very time consuming but it was the only way I could finally achieve a good (read great!!), balance on my wheels. Well worth it in the end but I'm not looking forward to when I have to buy new tyres!!! Got to go through all the motions again....

Old 02-11-2009, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I picked up one of those older on-car balancers... It needs a new power cord and a good cleaning and lubrication but it will get the job done.

Having a 'reference drum' that's been zero-balanced on hand for balancing 8-lugs seems like a good tool to have around!

Old 02-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine-Ear View Post
I picked up one of those older on-car balancers... It needs a new power cord and a good cleaning and lubrication but it will get the job done.

Having a 'reference drum' that's been zero-balanced on hand for balancing 8-lugs seems like a good tool to have around!
There ya' go. I'll just go see Matt when I'm ready to have some tires done.

Re: "Reference drum" - might be a good usage for a drum that otherwise is no good, like one where the lining is shot for example.

K

Old 02-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
There ya' go. I'll just go see Matt when I'm ready to have some tires done.

Re: "Reference drum" - might be a good usage for a drum that otherwise is no good, like one where the lining is shot for example.

K
Seriously, Matt. How much will you be charging to balance a Darksider?

May the torque be with you.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I went to a local tire shop last summer. It is part of the Tire Factory franchise. It has been in business at least 35 years. Not sure when it opened. I asked them if they knew what Pontiac 8-lug wheels are. He said "yes, and and we have an adapter plate to fit the modern spin balancer" I went back to the shop and he showed it to me. It was a little dusty, but is was the real thing. Very heavy steel plate with four threaded holes for lug bolts.
I had them balance my wheels before my trip to the convention. They also found that I had one bent rim. Still had a vibration, so had my driveshaft checked, and found my driveshaft was also toast. So after having a new shaft made, everything was smooth as glass. Made the trip to Spearfish and back (about 3000 miles) a great experience.

BTW, the name of this shop was Gary's Tire Factory, But I have seen others with other first names using the same franchise logo.
Les

Old 02-14-2009, 12:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Norman View Post
Seriously, Matt. How much will you be charging to balance a Darksider?
Um, OK, uh, ZERO.

Just show up and we'll get you wheelin' straight.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:58 AM
Senior Chief

I would drive 125 miles to have my 8 lugs done correctly on my car. I bought new fronts drums from Arrowhead last summer, waiting for the rears, should be any day now. Not looking for any freebies here, seriously if interested let me know what you would charge to do all 4.
Joe

Quote:
Um, OK, uh, ZERO.

Just show up and we'll get you wheelin' straight.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

joeg & the group: Maybe later this year (May, June) we can have a "B or B" (Balanced or Bent?) cookout at my place. Get your 8-lugs balanced and make a donation to a coffee can to cover the cost of wheel weights and/or bratwurst.

I'll do my best to resurrect this idea (or joeg, remind me) in a few months when I get time.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Senior Chief

Sounds great! Thanks!!

Quote:
joeg & the group: Maybe later this year (May, June) we can have a "B or B" (Balanced or Bent?) cookout at my place. Get your 8-lugs balanced and make a donation to a coffee can to cover the cost of wheel weights and/or bratwurst.

I'll do my best to resurrect this idea (or joeg, remind me) in a few months when I get time.