Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 08-24-2022, 05:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Pypes vs bender....

Hi fellas:

Finally got the "new" t/a on the road and one of the first odors of business is to fix the exhaust leaks.

Took her down to the local muff shop and the guy was drunk at 8am (reminded me of dad) in 2022 so I knew immediately who I was dealing with.

Put the car on the lift and basically the entire dual aftermarket system is rotten from the headers back. For reasons unknown, he wanted me to order the Pypes system vs bending his own system. I thought this was strange as Pypes is basically lego compared to how much he could charge me to bend something.

I had always planned to replace my old t/a exhaust with Pypes as the prices seem reasonable and "designed" to fit the car. There isn't much clarence under the t/a and I'm concerned about true duals bottoming out on our sh*tty roads. The better I can tuck it up there the better off I will be before I can afford to upgrade her suspension system.

Any experience with Pypes good or bad? Should I approach a different shop to have a system made (to mate with my older headers)?

Thanks!

Old 08-24-2022, 05:43 PM

Default Pypes vs bender....

I installed a Pypes system myself on a 68 LeMans I had a few years ago. Top quality stuff. Fit great and I had no issues installing in my driveway.

Old 08-24-2022, 05:55 PM
Senior Chief

Took me 6 months to get a system from them.

Old 08-24-2022, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can see why he would order a setup vs. bending; less work and it does fit good. But the X crossover I could do without.

Old 08-24-2022, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

He's probably done the math and figured that he can make more money by using a pre-bent kit to send you down the road sooner and get another job in the door.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 08-24-2022, 08:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bought the transverse muffler kit with the x pipe god our 79 403 TA.

Quality of the kit was awesome- everything fit as it should. I matched it up with hooker headers.

The sound is awful. Sounds like a toy ‘whirring’. I am deciding if I am going to replace the x pipe with an h pipe or replace the entire system. I’ve heard the x pipe is what makes it sound that way

Old 08-25-2022, 12:58 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
I am deciding if I am going to replace the x pipe with an h pipe or replace the entire system. I’ve heard the x pipe is what makes it sound that way
If you are going to cut up the exhaust or replace the entire system might as well cut into it first and try it without an h pipe. A dual exhaust with no cross over, they sound different (well better but that's just my opinion).

Old 08-25-2022, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

unless the shop can mandrel bend pipes, most local shops cant, the pypes system is the better value. i have their 3" kit with an X on a 2nd gen & it fits very nice, install labor fee was on a few hundred buck & was well worth it to get everything tucked up tight & the big 3" tails positioned right, i should have used 2.5" tails up over the rear but the 3" fit nicely.

the system & dual mufflers dont hang too low, clears all big curbs into parking lots or driveways, we have horribly roads here too in a winter climate, never an issue with the mufflers or system & my car is lowered quite a bit with a PTFB suspension kit... what is an issue is the big round port 2" hooker super comp headers, the collector/flange hang very low & i have scraped the passenger side on a few big parking lot entrances or big speed bumps... i know to avoid those in this car. im considering rasing the front a bit or more drastic would be to replace the headers, but the pypes kit itself was well worth the money.

the sound will depend on the muffler you use, their street pros are a chambered muffler like a flowmaster & will have that sound, i have the race pros which are actually quieter & flow better, they are basically a dynomax ultra flow muffler for a little cheaper.

Old 08-25-2022, 12:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinindian68 View Post
I installed a Pypes system myself on a 68 LeMans I had a few years ago. Top quality stuff. Fit great and I had no issues installing in my driveway.
Ok good to hear...thx sir

Old 08-25-2022, 12:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JONES View Post
Took me 6 months to get a system from them.
Jinkies...I better order it now if I go that route...mine is gonna fall off over the railroad tracks but summer is over anyways

Old 08-25-2022, 12:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
I can see why he would order a setup vs. bending; less work and it does fit good. But the X crossover I could do without.
They have both options...and the transverse

Old 08-25-2022, 12:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam View Post
He's probably done the math and figured that he can make more money by using a pre-bent kit to send you down the road sooner and get another job in the door.
Oh that makes sense...he didn't seem like the math type tho lol

Old 08-25-2022, 12:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
I bought the transverse muffler kit with the x pipe god our 79 403 TA.

Quality of the kit was awesome- everything fit as it should. I matched it up with hooker headers.

The sound is awful. Sounds like a toy ‘whirring’. I am deciding if I am going to replace the x pipe with an h pipe or replace the entire system. I’ve heard the x pipe is what makes it sound that way
Oh really...I don't like the sounds of that...thanks

Old 08-25-2022, 12:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
unless the shop can mandrel bend pipes, most local shops cant, the pypes system is the better value. i have their 3" kit with an X on a 2nd gen & it fits very nice, install labor fee was on a few hundred buck & was well worth it to get everything tucked up tight & the big 3" tails positioned right, i should have used 2.5" tails up over the rear but the 3" fit nicely.

the system & dual mufflers dont hang too low, clears all big curbs into parking lots or driveways, we have horribly roads here too in a winter climate, never an issue with the mufflers or system & my car is lowered quite a bit with a PTFB suspension kit... what is an issue is the big round port 2" hooker super comp headers, the collector/flange hang very low & i have scraped the passenger side on a few big parking lot entrances or big speed bumps... i know to avoid those in this car. im considering rasing the front a bit or more drastic would be to replace the headers, but the pypes kit itself was well worth the money.

the sound will depend on the muffler you use, their street pros are a chambered muffler like a flowmaster & will have that sound, i have the race pros which are actually quieter & flow better, they are basically a dynomax ultra flow muffler for a little cheaper.
Ya my header flange hangs pretty low too - hoping to tackle that with the suspension upgrade somehow.

Thanks for the great feedback - wasn't sure about muffs either...

Old 08-25-2022, 03:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My transverse muffler is the race pro. If you go with Pypes (again their quality is really good) I would suggest the more traditional two muffler system. That way if you aren’t happy with the sound you can swap out the mufflers. When I asked about options they said that the only muffler they offer for the transverse system is the race pro.

Old 08-25-2022, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ran this in my T/A. Only issue I had was that crossover was welded wrong - this was 7 years ago. I personally would just patch it and run 2 separate pipes. Other than that fit was good. I would if running headers get a pair ball mounts too - none of that 3 bolt gasket rubbish.

edit: or weld on a reducer the the header collect and run a wide band clamp - cheaper and you can easily remove/replace.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/w...bird/year/1973

Old 08-26-2022, 11:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Whoa that's really economical...thx

Old 08-26-2022, 06:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've installed probably a half dozen or more of the Pypes Transverse system on F-bodies. I've always used the SGF70 on the F-bodies and X-bodies simply for the ground clearance. Once installed properly you can't even see the system on the car unless you crawl down on the ground to look for it.
The transverse from Pypes will be their race pro design. Depending on the engine itself and a few other things will really dictate how the system will sound for you. Especially how you configure the tail pipes.
Personally I haven't had one yet I didn't like the sound of and I've had them on everything from 350hp 400 Pontiacs, 400+hp SBC's to 500hp 455 Pontiacs.

Here are sound clips of my cars with the Transverse Pypes setup.

This is my 406 SBC, this one has headers https://youtu.be/47HgejCVbFs

This is my firebird with a stock 400 with RA manifolds
https://youtu.be/uIFkggwDY-8

Here it is at the track.......driveby https://youtu.be/er1z7PpqsnY

Here is my Z/28, with headers and the 2 1/2" tailpipes supplied by Pypes
https://youtu.be/5dTNw93VPEQ

I wanted the stock appearance so I installed the factory 2" tail pipes. Tamed it down quiet a bit
https://youtu.be/IZ0HlEY7b74

And just for giggles if you want to compare to a real factory exhaust, not reproduction. This is the born with original exhaust system still intact on the Z and still using the stock exhaust manifolds. Production date on the car is 12D of 68 so Chamber exhaust ceased regular production and it got what GM called a "deep tone" muffler without resonators. Later around March of 69 they incorporated some resonator mufflers to quiet the cars down even more.
As you'll see the "deep tone" muffler system without resonators, and all factory 2 1/4" crush bent piping with 2" tailpipes, it was rather "raspy" and in all honesty the Pypes system really isn't any louder outside or inside the car.

https://youtu.be/SDMeBoQpf58

And here is another SGF70 I installed on a customers car I was restoring. This 455 made 507hp/571tq through the stock RA exhaust manifolds.

https://youtu.be/AOqwz3QlO5k

To answer your other question, I would for sure go with a mandrel bent exhaust kit as suggested. Hardly any shops around that bend a system with a mandrel anymore so the kits have really been the way to go for many years. As far as Pypes goes, you probably won't find a better priced kit that is stainless steel with an X-pipe, and mandrel bent. There are plenty to choose from but most of them are well beyond the price point that Pypes has. And FYI if you don't want the X pipe they do make the transverse system with the H-pipe SGF40

If you want to go really cheap, Walker/Dynomax makes a very economical transverse system I've used in the past. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-89021

What I like about this system is it uses the OEM style in and out muffler design meaning the over axle pipes are bent as OEM (unlike Pypes) so it opens up your transverse muffler choices. You can substitute the stock Walker fiberglass packed muffler this system comes with and install a Dynomax ultraflow transverse muffler if you desire and really hone in on the sound you're looking for. Since the system is so cheap you can afford to upgrade the muffler. I like this system with the Dynomax ultraflow welded X transverse muffler here.... https://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/ult...ded-x-mufflers

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE

Last edited by Formulajones; 08-26-2022 at 06:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2022, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just to add in case it's not obvious, that Walker/Dynomax kit is aluminized pipe, and that's what helps keep the cost down. It would last a good many years even in a wet or salty climate, but since most don't drive their cars in inclement weather it would still have a pretty long service life. It just may not keep a nice outside appearance over time. That was my experience with them when living in Ohio.

In the desert South West it's not really a concern.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 08-30-2022, 12:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the extensive info FormulaJones!

How do you like the transverse vs the true duals on a T/A?

Is there a performance hit with the transverse?