Old 12-19-2022, 04:16 PM

Default 64 GP heater core replacement

Hi all. I see the recent thread about a 66 Bonny heater core. My 64 GP heater core recently gave up the ghost on a frosty morning heading to a cars & coffee. Cabin filled up with steam! Water leaking down into passenger footwell so that must be it. My car had A/C originally but none of the system remains now. I imagine the heater core is possibly original but won't know till I pull it out.
Question, does anyone know if the core for a 64 GP can be taken out from inside the cabin? Also, are the cores different for A/C and non A/C cars? I may just get a replacement if the one I have is past it.
Any tips and tricks would be appreciated. Pic of my car below.
Hugh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040912.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	603808  

Old 12-19-2022, 07:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The heater case has a few bolts on the firewall and a few on the inside of the cabin. The AC car is easier as toy do not have to touche the fender or fender well.
I recently did the one of my 64 Bonneville Safari with AC.

Old 12-19-2022, 08:10 PM

I did the heater core on my '64 Catalina (years ago) hanging out at the gas station with friends. I know I was under the dash to access the core (and I know '60 Pontiac is the same style).

Old 12-19-2022, 08:46 PM

To replace the heater core in my non-ac 63 wagon, the service manual says to remove the inner fender well. There are a couple of firewall nuts that are not accessible without this. I have not replaced my heater core yet because of this.....

James Q

1963 Bonneville Safari - Nocturne Blue, 4-speed
Old 12-26-2022, 01:25 PM

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Will try and pull it out over the holiday break. Pulled out the glove box today and can see a bit better what is going on. Will let you know how it goes. Hope you all had a great Christmas day!

Old 01-02-2023, 03:41 PM

Doing a heater core on my 63 Catalina non-AC right now. The inner fender isn't too bad to pull out. Remove the inner fender bolts and I did have to remove the lower outer fender bolt to get the inner fender over the lip then it rotates down and back. I also thought I needed to replace my blower motor, and can say the four seasons 35576 is not correct for the application. The shaft has an adapter that will work, but the mounting stud spacing is too narrow for stock holes. As it turns out, I have 12v on the blower wire as long as there is no load, but as soon as the motor is hooked up I lose voltage. Not a fuse or resistor pack issue, so thinking the heater control master switch may have gone south. Just chasing my own tail trying to get heat in this thing. Also replaced both vacuum actuators as well. Hope to get a new heater control unit and try again.

Old 01-02-2023, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I deleted the heater on my ‘63 Catalina Safari and saved all the old pieces. If you need anything, let me know. Non A/C car.

Old 01-02-2023, 06:50 PM

I am looking for a heater control unit, pretty sure all of my switches have gone bad and although my unit looks nice it would take new master, blower and rear/de-ice switches to get back to working. Beyond that, I would be interested in the under hood blower & air inlet duct assembly, but shipping could be difficult. Let me know what you have and what you would want.

Old 01-02-2023, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Will post a few pics tomorrow.

Old 04-26-2023, 04:12 AM

Hi guys. Meant to get back to let you know how it went. Managed to get the old unit out with a bit of fiddling. Did not need to remove the inner fender which was a huge relief. Core was probably weeping for a while as I had to clean things up a bit and spray the housing in places. Got a new core from Rock Auto, needed the A/C one which was about $130. Went in well and works great now. Changed the hoses while I was at it. Thanks for all the advice!
Hugh.

Old 04-26-2023, 07:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine in my new non AC 62 may need done. It has the heater core looped onto itself. Which my knowledge of old car forensics tells me that my core probably leaks. Ill have to try and get my hands on a 62 Manual to look at.

In my firebird I cheated and cut a small flap in my inner fender then welded it back up. Depending on how much a pain removing the inner fender would be a might take the same track with this one. Turned a half day job requiring two people into a 1 hour job that I could do myself.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 04-26-2023, 08:27 AM

I've replaced the heater core on a couple 1961 cars with no a/c without having to remove the inner fender well. The heater core enclosure under the hood has a rubber boot that connects it to the actual blower motor (which is buried behind the fender well) so you can wiggle it out. You do then have to remove the entire heater assembly under the dash to then get to the core. I assume 1961-1964 cars are similar in this regard.

I've never had to replace the blower motor, so I don't know without consulting the manual if that's possible without removing the fender well.

Old 04-26-2023, 08:28 AM

I've replaced the heater core on a couple 1961 cars with no a/c without having to remove the inner fender well. The heater core enclosure under the hood has a rubber boot that connects it to the actual blower motor (which is buried behind the fender well) so you can wiggle it out. You do then have to remove the entire heater assembly under the dash to then get to the core. I assume 1961-1964 cars are similar in this regard.

I've never had to replace the blower motor, so I don't know without consulting the manual if that's possible without removing the fender well.

Old 04-26-2023, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post

On my 64 I had to remove the entire assembly under the dash which was a bit fiddly but not as bad as I thought it would be. I have replaced the blower motor which in my car is in the engine bay and an easy job.

Old 04-26-2023, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I will just have to run some coolant through mine and see if it leaks. If it does I will figure it out. I have generally got bigger fish to fry in the meantime. Like none of the lights working. And the giant hole in the windshield. New projects are both exciting and exhausting with all the little negative discoveries.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 04-26-2023, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You people don't really think that Pontiac mechanics back in the day removed the inner fender do you? We cut a hole and removed heater nuts or blower motor as required. Tacked the removed piece back in place and then undercoated the inner fender. Never heard of a customer complaint.

Old 04-26-2023, 11:50 PM

An owner doing a DIY repair can take the time to remove the fender well but yes, it wasn't normally done by the mechanic. Many years ago I had a 1971 Catalina that I bought from my dad; during his ownership the blower motor was replaced, and the mechanic who did the repair did cut a hole in the fender well for access. If I remember correctly, the fender well actually had a circular mark pressed into the steel to show where to cut the hole.

By the time i finally junked the car, the metal patch they screwed over the hole had rusted out.