Old 12-26-2022, 08:43 PM
Senior Chief

Default 8-lug drum ID limit

bought a set a 8-lug drums . Didn't know what i was looking at and now i question the purchase. What is the maximum allowable ID for these drums? After cleaning i'm getting 11.05 for the rears and 11.07 for the fronts. Also see cracking on the rear liners. Didn't clean the fronts thoroughly to avoid more bad news. Do these cracks indicate that relining is required? What is the ball park price on relining all 4 drums? On a budget and if the price is too high will cut my losses.

Thanks for time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7554[1].jpg
Views:	151
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	604094  

Old 12-26-2022, 09:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

.060 over is the max allowable by law. That looks like a core to me.

Old 12-26-2022, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The company that relines the drums, J &G Machine would likely be interested in buying the drums as cores if you decide to not move forward with them. Unfortunately, it's a very expensive proposition, IMO, to have a set of 8 lug wheels restored to excellent performance and look great. Unless the beauty rings, center caps, wheels and lug nuts are in ready to use condition, your going to have thousands of dollars invested in getting them road worthy. I think each drum is in the neighborhood of $550.00 each just to reline. Give them a call to find out for sure. The pic shown of the drum will have a terrible thump, thump thump every time you apply the brakes. A good used set of original 8-lugs would be a very rare find today.

Old 12-27-2022, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Most used 8 lug drums have corrosion built up between the aluminum drum and the cast iron liner. You can machine the drum to make it round again but because of the corrosion it won't stay round. Chances of finding some without said corrosion will be slim and if you do the seller will want an arm and a leg. If you really want 8 lugs save your money until you can find NOS (they are out there) or get yours relined.

Old 12-27-2022, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think they pay like $25 for cores.Thats what I was told at Norwalk.Tom

Old 12-28-2022, 10:28 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the information gentlemen. Probably can't justify the cost to refurbish these drums/wheels.

I will post my calculations on the cost to refurbished a set of 8 lugs in a new thread to assist anyone like myself who doesn't know what he's getting into.

Old 12-28-2022, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermuda Blue View Post
Thanks for the information gentlemen. Probably can't justify the cost to refurbish these drums/wheels.

I will post my calculations on the cost to refurbished a set of 8 lugs in a new thread to assist anyone like myself who doesn't know what he's getting into.
That would be great. I think J & G is the only option out there for re-lining now. There used to be at least one other company, possibly 2. They are gone as far as I know. Honestly don't know why they don't just publish a price list on their web site for the various services and parts they offer. Never understood why it all has to be some type of giant secret what places charge and you have to be in the super secret club to get some idea of what things cost. I think we all understand that exclusive processes, and labor intensive restoration work will be expensive.