Old 01-05-2023, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 4 speed questions

I have several questions about 1964 big car 4 speeds. Does it use a Borg Warner T10 or a Muncie like a GTO? Is it a long tail shaft trans? Does it use a bell housing mounted starter or the block mounted one? The car in question is a 1964 GP. Thanks for any information.

Old 01-05-2023, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The big cars used bell mounted starters.They require a 63-64 bell as the trans is mounted on a tilt toward the driver I believe.It will require a 61-64 big car flywheel.I have never tried a block mounted starter and bell in a big car,not sure where the shifter will endup for the console?The cats and GPs used a standard length 4 speed.Im running a ST-10.Also with a block mounted starter and a 64-up bell dont know how the 63-64 clutch linkage will work.On the iron 63-64 it is threaded for a ball that the Zbar goes on.Good luck with your project.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2023, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’m using a ‘67 400 block and a latter factory bell housing with a BOP engineering adapter block for the ball stud. 1963 Catalina Safari. Yes, the transmission is vertical and I’m using a Richmond five speed. I had to cut the floor quite a bit and the shifter will be close to the seat but I’m fine with that. Still not sure on the clutch fork, whether I need to use a ‘63 fork or a late model fork. Guess I’ll find out, I have both.

Link to the clutch block: https://www.bopengineering.com/pontiac_full_size.shtml

Tom, don’t ‘64 blocks have starter pads even though they had bell housing mounted starters on full size cars?

Last edited by misterp266; 01-05-2023 at 03:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to misterp266 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2023, 04:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes,drilled for block starter.Might be a issue in a GP because of the console?Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2023, 10:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Everything is coming out of the exact same car as it will be going into. Everything that is coming out of my automatic car will be going back into the donor car.

The Following User Says Thank You to Goatracer1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2023, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterp266 View Post
I’m using a ‘67 400 block and a latter factory bell housing with a BOP engineering adapter block for the ball stud. 1963 Catalina Safari. Yes, the transmission is vertical and I’m using a Richmond five speed. I had to cut the floor quite a bit and the shifter will be close to the seat but I’m fine with that. Still not sure on the clutch fork, whether I need to use a ‘63 fork or a late model fork. Guess I’ll find out, I have both.

Link to the clutch block: https://www.bopengineering.com/pontiac_full_size.shtml

Tom, don’t ‘64 blocks have starter pads even though they had bell housing mounted starters on full size cars?
The 389 in my ‘64 Cat has the starter pad and a bell housing mounter starter (Slim Jim).

Dr. Thomas Sowell