Old 01-12-2023, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Wiper Switch Repair

I have a 1971 Trans Am and as far as I can see there is no source for the wiper/washer switch. My car has the hideaway wipers and two speeds for the wipers. It slides off - sp1 - sp2. You push the switch for the washer. The washer part seems to not work and the return spring doesn't spring it back out when you push on it anymore.

I hate electrics but I figure if I can't source the part I need to try to fix it. Any guides or instructions out there? Is this even practical? Is there a replacement part I just haven't found yet?

Sam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-12-31 00.48.53.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	605003  

Sam Agnew

Where you come from is gone; where you thought you were going to, weren't never there; and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod
Old 01-12-2023, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wasn’t that switch used through 78 or 79?
You’d have to show the back side. Those are common in everyone’s parts stash, even a decal is made for the front now.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 01-12-2023, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks similar to a 70-72 GTO switch, just mounted sideways.

I took mine apart by gently folding back the steel fingers that are factory bent around the circuit board, then cleaned the parts with contact cleaner, installed new grease, put back together and bent the fingers back.

There isn't much inside, just a slider assembly with contacts, back board with contacts, a spring and I think a small ball for the detents.

Careful getting contact cleaner on the white "ON" label, it comes off very easy.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 01-12-2023, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The later buttons say push. 5 pin plug, show the back of yours
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	605020  

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱

Last edited by burd; 01-12-2023 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-13-2023, 06:44 PM

I was in the same situation with my switch. I took mine apart and cleaned/greased as Mreinne did. My problem came with reassembly, when trying to recrimp the metal parts, the nearly 50 year old plastic cracked and a large chunk fell out.
I ended up buying a used switch that had some reasonably nice font still left on it.
There is usually a few used or occasionally NOS switches on eBay.

74 Firebird Formula 400 4speed
70 Buick GS455 4 speed
Old 01-13-2023, 07:38 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp4spd View Post
I was in the same situation with my switch. I took mine apart and cleaned/greased as Mreinne did. My problem came with reassembly, when trying to recrimp the metal parts, the nearly 50 year old plastic cracked and a large chunk fell out.
I ended up buying a used switch that had some reasonably nice font still left on it.
There is usually a few used or occasionally NOS switches on eBay.
like this one. eBay