Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 01-25-2023, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Need electrical advice 81 vette

Not sure where this should go but starting here.

81 vette with the original am/fm/cassette player with clock.

The car doesn't get driven much so the battery drains down while sitting. I know starting and driving more often would help but the owner is out of town several months at a time.

We believe the clock in the radio is the culprit. The display for the clock flickers so there is probably a short in the clock circuit.

Tried removing the fuse for the radio which does disable the radio but the clock still flickers. According to the manual there is a fuse for the clock but interior lights, horn and other items are on that circuit.

Looking for some advice or possibly where to get repaired or find a replacement .

Thanks

Old 01-25-2023, 06:17 PM
Senior Chief

I use a battery tender, or similiar product for my Firebird. It sits from late November until sometime in April and works great.

Old 01-28-2023, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The clock fuse is the horn and interior lights, and security, if it has it. Problem is you cant easily get a load test on it with doors open as 3 lights come on.
We had brand new Vettes, and Cimarons and 1 "X" body Pontiac do this at the dealer, all got a warranty radio.
The radio comes out pretty easy, could unplug it.
I use a tender as well. My PDL.. remote/security system drains the battery.

Old 04-07-2023, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Late reply, but FWIW I had an 82 Corvette in here a few weeks ago with the same problem. Turned out that the system was being drained by a bad power antenna. The owner had us disconnect it and problem solved.