Old 04-11-2020, 10:48 AM

Default 64-65 Floor Shift Steering Column GTO/Lemans WTB

I'm looking for a "in good shape" original floor shift steering column for my 65 Lemans. I am converting it from column shift (auto) to a console car.

Thx...Tony

Old 04-12-2020, 09:33 AM

Tony,
I have a steering column out of a 66 GTO that will work. I did the same thing on my 65 about 10 years ago and I have everting except the steering column jacket. I also have a console and correct shifter that was converted into a shift works 3 speed selector and 3 speed BOP transmission. Also would be happy to discuss the modification with you if you have any questions
Bob

Old 04-16-2020, 08:33 PM

Thanks Donziboy....PM sent

The Following User Says Thank You to kron455 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2020, 04:34 PM

Tony
I did not receive your message not sure what the problem is so I sent you one.
Bob

Old 04-21-2020, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If yours is in good shape I would cut the selector 'knob' off with a cutoff wheel and then use body filler and paint it.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 04-22-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
If yours is in good shape I would cut the selector 'knob' off with a cutoff wheel and then use body filler and paint it.
That will work the assembly is in 2 pieces, housing for indicator dial and hole for the lamp/cap those hole will need to be filled. Second piece is the bowl for the pointer and lever assembly and this will need to removed and filled in. Disconnect gearshift tube linkage from the leaver and your ready to move on to the console installation

If steering column is shot or the desire is to look factory than replacement is another option.

Or you can simply find a one piece steering column assembly for a console or floor shift and change them out. In the end since my rag joint and steering box were in very good shape and I figured out that they were interchangeable this is the option I chose.