Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 10-06-2023, 08:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default for you savvy computer type guys

Have windows 10...............i deleted all the pics from my SD card from the camera, took new pics and tried to put in computer.................when putting in the sd card i just get all my old pics................went to walgreens and put in the sd card, it only show the new pics i took..................anyone what to take a stab on how to fix this..................went thru most of the stuff on how to fix............nothing seems to be working.

Thinking it might be cheaper to get an external reader, instead of spending who knows how much to fix this.

Rich

Old 10-06-2023, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good news is your new photos are on the card.

On your PC, how are you trying to access these files on your SD card?

When you plug in the card does your PC launch a specific program or do you launch a viewer like "Photos"?

It sounds like you may be seeing previously downloaded files but not actually reading from the SD card.

???

Old 10-06-2023, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

LOL.................thanks for the reply Shiny................probably not explaining this well..................i formatted all the pics on the sd card in the Camra.............so nothing is on the sd card, so then i took a few pics with the camra , then when putting in the puter, all that comes up is all the old pics i previously had on the sd card..

I guess the really weird thing that happens is all my pics i have stored over the years comes up when i put in the sd card...............and that goes back quite a few years............so something isnt working right here....................was thinking of getting a new sd card, but i tried two different ones i have, took a few pics, nothing new showed up on the puter, but at walgreens they only showed the pics i just took............so im not sure if a new card would work or not.

So it looks like when i insert the sd card, it somehow shows all the pics that ive had for years...................even though most of those pics are no longer on the card..............

I'll play around with this for awhile, but thinking just get an external player and be done with it.

When you plug in the card does your PC launch a specific program or do you launch a viewer like "Photos"?...........almost forgot that , no program comes up, just the pics.

Rich

Old 10-06-2023, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Shiny, i gave it another try..............took about 10 pics with the camra, none showed up on the sd card....................when putting in the sd card, i get a big black box..........says photos.......then search in all photos...................there is a setting button, but nothing much comes up on that to help....................then something like over 6 thousand photos are opened..............so for what ever reason the puters card reader is not opening the stuff i just too with the camra...................im thinking a few more beers tonight and i will nail down this issue............lol

Maybe time for a new puter, cant remember how old this one is

Rich

Old 10-07-2023, 07:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Make sure you are in the SD card directory when reading the files. Sounds like you are in a directory where you keep the files on the computer. (hard drive)

Or are you looking at the camera when looking at the SD card?

Use File Explorer on the computer (or whatever yours is called) and open the SD card.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 10-07-2023, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys, will give it a shot....................Use File Explorer on the computer (or whatever yours is called) and open the SD card.................lol...........not sure what is going on here, for the last 6-7 yrs all i ever did was put sd card from camera into the puter..................never did anything else, the pics just showed up and i put them in a folder. I looked on you tube and did most of the stuff to fix it......................i get everything is working fine on your computer.....................im gonna give it another shot today, then go get an external reader.

Thinking that would be cheaper than taking the puter in.

Thanks again...............Rich

Old 10-07-2023, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, got it done, didnt take all day...........ok it did...............bought a new external card reader, didnt work..............did a sysyem restore, didnt work because of virus detect on, took that off and still didnt work..................went to the windows store and did a update on god knows what, but everything is working right on my sd cards.............so now im gonna toss a few millers and call it a night....................thanks for the help guys.

Rich

Old 10-08-2023, 12:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

O geesshhh sorry you were struggling with this.... I apologize for leaving you hanging.

It does sound like when you plug the SD card into your computer, Windows opens the "Photos" program, which makes sense. What isn't clear is why the new photo files on the SD card aren't automatically copied onto your hard drive...

But maybe they actually were being copied and the Photos program was sorting them differently?

If your Photos window opens and the top of the black square looks like this, let us know, as it will be much easier to help if we know what program is giving you grief.

johnta1 was suggesting you need to find the files on your SD card using a Windows program called "File Explorer", but it appears you are not familiar with that.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photos.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	621229  

Old 10-08-2023, 05:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
O geesshhh sorry you were struggling with this.... I apologize for leaving you hanging.

It does sound like when you plug the SD card into your computer, Windows opens the "Photos" program, which makes sense. What isn't clear is why the new photo files on the SD card aren't automatically copied onto your hard drive...

But maybe they actually were being copied and the Photos program was sorting them differently?

If your Photos window opens and the top of the black square looks like this, let us know, as it will be much easier to help if we know what program is giving you grief.

johnta1 was suggesting you need to find the files on your SD card using a Windows program called "File Explorer", but it appears you are not familiar with that.

Mike
[QUOTE=Shiny;6459596]O geesshhh sorry you were struggling with this.... I apologize for leaving you hanging.

LOL, i should apologize for all my dumb questions, give me a minute or two and i will screw up your thinking...................the pic you sent is what pops up when i put the sd card in....................usually i have a shortcut for my pics, and they just pop up....................but after fooling around, i can now get the sd card in and a screen pops up saying DCIM............i smake that puppy and then the pics i took on the camara are all there, so everything is working good now...........

I was on so much stuff yesterday, not sure what fixed it...........lol

Thanks to you and johnta for taking the time

Rich

The Following User Says Thank You to gtorich For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2023, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh that's great!

I also have to open a DCIM folder when I want to look at photos that were automatically uploaded from my phone to my cloud drive.

I don't know what DCIM is, but since the memory on a cell phone might look like an SD drive to a computer, I think you are OK.

Mike

Old 10-08-2023, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

DCIM = Digital Camera IMages and it's usually a folder where the images are stored.