Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-11-2020, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Modern wiper arms and blades for a 1st Gen?

I drive my 69 Firebird a LOT. More than my daily since I work from home. The stock type wipers arms and blades we all know are junk in bad weather. Hell, even in the lightest rain they don't contour well to the glass for a consistent wipe.

Those who have upgraded, what are you running for a much more modern wiper arm and blade? I'm hoping for something that will attach like the stock arms so I don't have to modify the splined shafts.

Thanks!

Alex

Old 06-11-2020, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We daily drive our 69Z. Same basic wiper system on your 69 bird, and probably identical arms.

I installed a very good reproduction wiper arm assembly from Heartbeat City. The original Aero style that holds the rubber to the glass better. You can have them in brushed stainless or polished stainless.
You'll pay a bit, but they work just fine and look correct (nothing worse than black plastic wipers on a classic car). We've been in some pretty good downpours and not a problem.

https://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/...yle-Coupe-Pair

https://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/...yle-Coupe-Pair

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 06-11-2020, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That looks like what I have now. Even with new reproduction wiper blades, they don't sit flat to the glass after multiple pairs. They are garbage to me, especially when driving at speed on the freeway in the pouring rain as I got into the I-5 a few months ago. My 2001 Corolla puts them to shame lol.

I'm actually changing all of my brightwork over to semi-gloss black, so a modern-looking black wiper arms are no problem and would go with my pro touring theme anyway.

Old 06-11-2020, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No problems with mine. Maybe you need new arms too. Spring tensions do get weaker over time.

We've buzzed up and down the highway in the rain, no issues with these. Even my wife doesn't complain, it's her car.

You also have to make sure you get the decent quality reproductions like I listed, not the other cheaper knock off stuff sold elsewhere that looks similar. When it comes to 1st gen Camaros, there are dozens of vendors, and there is definitely a difference in quality of parts sold. Not that many choices for Firebirds I know, but wiper blades and arms should be identical.

Last edited by Formulajones; 06-11-2020 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-11-2020, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Im with you, I think mine suck too compared to my 2017 Ram with big beam type blades. I personally think my problem is more the OG motor though.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 06-11-2020, 04:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
Im with you, I think mine suck too compared to my 2017 Ram with big beam type blades. I personally think my problem is more the OG motor though.

I thought that too and even with a new motor, it's about the same for me.

I have new arms (I bought 3 years ago trying to fix the problem) and tried the wiper blades from OER and a couple others. I just want a better more modern design arm to hold these suckers on there better.

Old 06-11-2020, 04:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...02805&jsn=2855

I was thinking of trying these. Its listed as the "premium" option on Rock Auto. Because they are a beam design they wouldn't look massively out of place compared to a skeletal frame design. Only $7 each so even if they suck its not the end of the world. At least in picture compared to a Goodmark factory looking unit, the Anco looks heavier. Like it might gravity feed onto the windshield better.

Mine work, they are functional but hecka squeaky. They also like to get stuck if the windshield isn't very wet.

Old 06-11-2020, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, those beam ones do look like a good option and wouldn't be too out of place at all. Thanks for the link and the suggestion.

I'm looking for a more modern arm too, but I guess if those blades work well I could just do the same semi-gloss ceramic on my stock type arms I'm doing on the rest of my bright work.

Old 06-11-2020, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My arms came as part of a blackout kit from I think Firebird Central. So they are new, but as far as I know they are a factory replacement? Im not 100% positive on that.

The Following User Says Thank You to RocktimusPryme For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2020, 12:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Haha I was driving my Tempest with one speed wipers here and hadn’t really thought much about it till this post. I posted several times about ways to get them working from the PO hack job wiring. Well that’s another thing to add to the list

Old 06-13-2020, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92GTA View Post
The stock type wipers arms and blades we all know are junk in bad weather. Hell, even in the lightest rain they don't contour well to the glass for a consistent wipe.
There's something WRONG with your wipers. If you fix what's wrong, they'll contour fine, wipe fine...but still be small with poor coverage of the glass. That's the only real engineered-in fault beyond not having pulse and delay like modern wipers.

Usually, you can get a wiper blade an inch or maybe two inches longer than the original. That helps some.

Wiper blades need to be perpendicular to the glass. If the arm is tweaked so the blade favors one direction, they'll chatter in the other direction. The wiper blade MUST flop over with each stroke. If the arm is tweaked, they'll permanently lean one direction. Old blades treated like this may not work right even when you correct the tilt--they'll take a permanent set.

If the wiper blade doesn't conform to the glass, you've either got low-quality arms, and/or the clips on the arm that hold the blade are crimped too tight and the blade can't "float" in the arm. NAPA sells a "Exact Replacement" wiper arm, and they're complete garbage. The original arm has multiple pivots to spring-load the blade to the glass, the "Exact Replacement" series has very few.

There was a time when GM recommended Bon Ami to clean the outside of the windshield, to remove any built-up wax, tree sap, or airborne contamination that's settled on the glass and makes the wipers stick.

Modern wiper blades (and "refills"...if you can find those any more) are all imported junk. The rubber doesn't last. You're lucky to get six months from them. It's a crying shame that a simple product "can't" be made properly.

Old 06-13-2020, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
There's something WRONG with your wipers. If you fix what's wrong, they'll contour fine, wipe fine...]
That was my point but I didn't go into detail as to what I find wrong with most 50 year old arms since he was set on putting something aftermarket on the car.

So what I find wrong with arms is that after all this time, the pivot point is an issue. The splined portion is a pot metal casting, and there is a pin that goes through it that the spring attaches to. What happens over time is the holes for that pin get egg shaped and worn, which in turn loses spring tension. So it's not holding the blade on the windshield as tight as it once did. That pin is supposed to be a press fit, but I find with most original arms when I remove the spring the pin just falls out. Some of the reproductions aren't much better in this department. Which is why I linked Heartbeat, and there are a couple other vendors like Ricks that have better repo parts than some of the other places I've dealt with.
Like I said, we daily drive a 69Z, with the exact same wiper system, with all stock parts. 65-70 mph in the rain is no problem.

A suggestion Shurkey had can be beneficial, adding slightly longer blades if there is room on the windshield. Don't think you'll find a stainless blade in 16 or 17" that'll match the stainless arm, and finding refills that size at your local stores is getting next to impossible, let alone a 15". Most carry 20" and up. I can't even find 22" refills for my duramax anymore, they want to sell me an entire arm, it's ridiculous.

I just use the stock 15" on ours and find them sufficient, and get our refills from the restoration suppliers. Shucks my sons bug takes a 12", lol. That's bug restoration supplier only these days.

Old 06-13-2020, 04:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Last time I tried to buy "refills" (the wearable rubber squeegee part of the wiper blade, with a metal or plastic reinforcement that slides into the assembly) my local NAPA has ONE part number, hidden in the "back room" and the counter-guy says "cut to fit".

As it turned out, I needed the full length. But cut-to-fit is probably an option for any of the shorter applications if the refill "width" is correct. Some wipers are more narrow than others, even if the length is the same. The refill has to fit the assembly.

No, of course this can't be simple, or easy, or inexpensive. Or built to a proper quality standard in America, North America, or the Free World.

Old 06-13-2020, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sad isn't it? I remember when I could walk right in and get refills for our 56 Nomad hanging right on the rack, or any of our classic cars for that matter, correct length and width to slide right into the original stainless blades. Now I can't even get a proper refill for a 2005 chevy truck.

These days it's just gotten pathetic.

Old 12-21-2023, 09:57 PM
Senior Chief

Reviving a necro thread...69 Firebird 400 wiper blade refills, not the whole blade and refill insert. Trico has the RF-15 and 47-700 refills. Anybody know which one works?

Old 12-21-2023, 10:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You want Trico 33-150 ($12 to $20 a pair). These are the closest match to originals that I have found and do a pretty good job here in rainy Florida.
The frame isn't stainless like the originals so I just pull the blades out and use them like a refill. I "think" Trico also sells a long refill that you can break at the length you need.

There is no try. - Yoda

1967 Firebird Restoration 2005 - 1/25/2017
Old 12-21-2023, 10:55 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speargun View Post
You want Trico 33-150 ($12 to $20 a pair). These are the closest match to originals that I have found and do a pretty good job here in rainy Florida.
The frame isn't stainless like the originals so I just pull the blades out and use them like a refill. I "think" Trico also sells a long refill that you can break at the length you need.
Yeah, I just got the 33-150's but I just want to get refills for the blades I just replaced. They're $40 shipped from Amazon, and the refills are $4.91 each from Rock Auto. Problem is that two refills (a pair) cost $17 to ship.

Napa can't find them, Ames has them for $40 each (for just the refills), O'Reilly is lost, and I have yet to try AutoZone.

Hard to believe these are so hard to find, and order for. Sheesh!

Old 12-22-2023, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ill have to try this too, I have some black aftermarket wiper arms, and the blades just grab. Half the time I have to help them get started unless the rain is really coming down and lubricating the path. This is even with a new replacement wiper motor. I want some better coated blades to see if it helps. Im not sure if my arms have the same attachments as a stock arm or not.

Old 12-22-2023, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumOne View Post
Yeah, I just got the 33-150's but I just want to get refills for the blades I just replaced. They're $40 shipped from Amazon, and the refills are $4.91 each from Rock Auto. Problem is that two refills (a pair) cost $17 to ship.

Napa can't find them, Ames has them for $40 each (for just the refills), O'Reilly is lost, and I have yet to try AutoZone.

Hard to believe these are so hard to find, and order for. Sheesh!
Yep, just as I commented on this a couple years ago, the local stores aren't going to have anything. If you do find 15" blades, you'll have to pay more for the whole blade just to pull the rubber out and use as a refill, and throw the rest away, but 15" is super hard to find anymore.

As much as I like to support local business, this is an instance where I can't. Best bet is to just bite the bullet, call your favorite classic car supplier, pay the shipping, and have some delivered that are tailor made for your car. As I mentioned I buy from Heartbeat when it comes to the entire arm assembly as they have been the best quality for me. Refills don't really matter much on quality, a refill is a refill. I just went through this again on a Vega I'm restoring. No one has anything for a Vega but thankfully 69 camaro/firebird are the same arm/blade assembly so I bought complete stainless arms/blades for a 69 F-body from Heartbeat. Problem solved. Since I have several cars with 15" blades, I typically buy 2-3 sets of refills from a classic vendor just to keep handy.

Old 12-22-2023, 03:41 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Since I have several cars with 15" blades, I typically buy 2-3 sets of refills from a classic vendor just to keep handy.
Well, I've only got the one 69 Bird with 15" wipers. I guess I'll bit the bullet, order 5 sets, then pay the shipping.

Whaddygonnado?

Thanks for the replies.

Jim