The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 02-24-2024, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Love the color!

Old 02-24-2024, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You got real fortunate that someone put something on that roof. I may be able to find some pictures of mine as it was when I got it. I had to replace a lot of the roof skin and both sail panels. Of course, 20 years later if I had to do it again I would have just replaced the entire roof skin and maybe quarters. But at the time I was trying to keep as much of the original car there as possible. Your car looks great and that dark blue over black thing always looks tough on a muscle car!

Old 02-24-2024, 05:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMDGTO View Post
Deal of the century right there!!!!!
Yeah, so far so good. It's really nice to have my car less than 2 miles away from my house. This isn't a price that I got because he's a friend of mine. I met him at the gas station because I was checking out his old "OJ Simpson" Bronco. We started talking and he told me that he does paint and bodywork close by. I ended up staying in touch with the guy. After my car got to his shop, I referred him to a buddy of mine that has a 68 Ford Torino GT convertible and his car is getting painted as well. The Torino (at this point) doesn't need the amount of work that mine did and he's charging him $9,000 (I assume for a scuff and shoot). He does have a disclaimer on the contract that if he he finds more work as hes sanding down the car, it will cost more. He said he likes to have 2 cars at a time at the same time so he can go back and forth working on them. His only requirement is that the car has to be able to move on it's own power.

Last edited by Va68goat; 02-24-2024 at 05:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Va68goat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2024, 05:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
You got real fortunate that someone put something on that roof. I may be able to find some pictures of mine as it was when I got it. I had to replace a lot of the roof skin and both sail panels. Of course, 20 years later if I had to do it again I would have just replaced the entire roof skin and maybe quarters. But at the time I was trying to keep as much of the original car there as possible. Your car looks great and that dark blue over black thing always looks tough on a muscle car!
When we wrote up the contract for the work, he did mention that if he finds some rot under the vinyl top that it was going to cost more. We ended up ripping off the top right after we wrote up the contract and didn't find anything. A few people told me that it would be better not to put another vinyl top but I just have to have it. The area between the rear window and the trunk lid is what I was really worried about because it was already starting to push through the vinyl. It was mainly surface rust with the exception of a small area near the drivers side quarter.

Old 02-24-2024, 06:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's really funny to me how the people who have a real problem with vinyl tops because of the rust have no problem with a convertible top. There's really no difference. Maintain it and keep the water out.
I'm glad I was talked into keeping mine. For my particular color and interior combo being roughly the same color it helps break it up a bit for me. Adds a little contrast.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 02-24-2024 at 06:54 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2024, 07:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
It's really funny to me how the people who have a real problem with vinyl tops because of the rust have no problem with a convertible top. There's really no difference. Maintain it and keep the water out.
I'm glad I was talked into keeping mine. For my particular color and interior combo being roughly the same color it helps break it up a bit for me. Adds a little contrast.
Yeah, your car looks great. I like the color combination. I noticed the black GTO lettering on the quarter panel. I bought black letters and white letters because I was undecided. After seeing your car, I'm definitely going with the black letters!

Last edited by Va68goat; 02-24-2024 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-24-2024, 11:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's funny because I still have the set of white letters that I bought also. I really believe mine came with white letters but I decided to go black after a friend here on the forums voted black rather decisively... LOL

Old 02-25-2024, 05:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That is an excellent price. I'm sure I've read in a paint cost thread here or another forum that materials could be upwards of $5k or more. I'd like to find a 'backyard' guy like that. Took my car to a restore shop and off the top of his head said $35K +/-.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 02-25-2024, 07:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooski View Post
That is an excellent price. I'm sure I've read in a paint cost thread here or another forum that materials could be upwards of $5k or more. I'd like to find a 'backyard' guy like that. Took my car to a restore shop and off the top of his head said $35K +/-.
Thats exactly around the same price I got from a shop in Northern Virginia.

Old 02-26-2024, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va68goat View Post
He's charging me $12,000. That includes cutting out and replacing metal thats rusted out and all the materials. 4 coats PPG paint and 4 coats of premium clear and wet sanding. The only thing he's not doing is the installing the vinyl top. I have another guy to do that. I got an estimate from a local hotrod shop and they told me basically a scuff and shoot would be $25,000 and depending if they found any additional metal that needs to be replaced, it could go up to $35,000 to $40,000. He's also installing all new seals, window felt etc. Not bad considering it basically looks like it's going to be a 2 month job.
Appreciate the response. I have been going through the same and I think your guy is treating you well and doing good work. I was getting quotes between 25 and 34K with some but not a lot of rust issues. Got a estimate that I am going with at less than 20k. I get it. Not a lot of people do this and it is time consuming. I have done cars myself, but am a rank amateur, it shows, and I am too old for the years it takes me.

Old 02-28-2024, 09:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We did a test spray of the PPG Blue Charcoal Poly. This is 4 coats of paint and 4 coats of clear. He's going to wet sand it tomorrow so I can get a better idea of what it's going to look like in natural light. It's a little darker than I expected but so far I like it. The lighting in his shop is not the greatest but looking forward to seeing it tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	test.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	629520   Click image for larger version

Name:	test-4.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	629521   Click image for larger version

Name:	test-3.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	629522   Click image for larger version

Name:	test-2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	629523  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Va68goat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Yeah, your car looks great. I like the color combination. I noticed the black GTO lettering on the quarter panel. I bought black letters and white letters because I was undecided. After seeing your car, I'm definitely going with the black letters!
Greg, your car looks really nice. Would love to see more pics. Do you have more already posted here somewhere?

Old 02-29-2024, 01:41 PM

Quote:
We did a test spray of the PPG Blue Charcoal Poly. This is 4 coats of paint and 4 coats of clear. He's going to wet sand it tomorrow so I can get a better idea of what it's going to look like in natural light. It's a little darker than I expected but so far I like it. The lighting in his shop is not the greatest but looking forward to seeing it tomorrow.
Love that color. Poly means metallic right?

Old 02-29-2024, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes on the Poly. That's going to be awesome.

Old 02-29-2024, 08:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, if there was ever a doubt on the color...there isn't now. It's amazing how this color changes with different lighting. I'm really looking forward to seeing the whole car painted with a black vinyl top!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	629582   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	629583   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	629584   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	629585  

The Following User Says Thank You to Va68goat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We just had a 76 TA done and was a color change from Maroon too blk and it was 25K.Tom

Old 02-29-2024, 09:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
We just had a 76 TA done and was a color change from Maroon too blk and it was 25K.Tom
I got a quote for $25,000 from a shop for a scuff and shoot but with the metal work my car needed it would have been more than $35,000. I'm pretty lucky to get out of this for only $12,000. and the guy does excellent work from what I've seen.

Old 03-25-2024, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We need an update

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grivera For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 10:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Starting to spray a little color. Sorry the pictures aren't that great but I think my painter needs a new phone or he's just not a great photographer! Coming along pretty nice. Blue charcoal is definitely a unique color. You can see hints of blue, green and grey. He should be done by the weekend and he'll let it sit for a week or so then wet sand and buff. Looking forward to see the final product.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Paint.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	631210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Paint-1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	631211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Paint-2.jpg
Views:	40