Old 05-05-2021, 10:44 PM
Senior Chief

Default Panel bond for full quarter panel

I’m planning to do a full quarter panel and outer wheel house replacement on my ‘75 T/A. I plan to use a MIG welder for the wheel house. I’m wondering if panel bond is an option on the quarter panel instead of welding?

Old 05-10-2021, 09:17 AM
Senior Chief

Question

Has no one on here tried this?

Old 05-10-2021, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've never used panel bond but wondering how you would do it on a very large panel like that. Do you have to apply the bond around the entire perimeter of the panel and then place it before it starts setting up? Do you have time to make adjustments...or what?

Old 05-10-2021, 10:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm not a body man, but I remember reading that welded metal stays in place where the bonded areas can expand at different rates under the painted surface. Cars that have bonded panel from the factory are designed that way. In a way that its one piece (door panel, hood, roof ..) but on an f-body that quarter panel has that seam going to the roof.

Last edited by rustedgoat; 05-10-2021 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-10-2021, 05:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It’s ok for the quarter to wheel house but you should weld the sail panel, rocker, and where it meets the tail panel.

If you read the instructions it will tell you nothing structural should be panel bonded.

Don

Old 05-11-2021, 07:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's what I did, I bonded my outer wheel house to the quarter but welded everything else.

Old 05-11-2021, 03:33 PM
Senior Chief

Ok so no panel bond for structural stuff. But it’s ok on the wheel well lip. Which is good since I’m not good at the inverted welds.

How do I weld the area between the wheel well and door jamb at the bottom of the quarter welded? It where the quarter attaches to the rocker. There doesn’t appear to be any access from the inside.

The car is a ‘75 T/A.

Old 05-11-2021, 04:38 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by many birds View Post
Ok so no panel bond for structural stuff. But it’s ok on the wheel well lip. Which is good since I’m not good at the inverted welds.

How do I weld the area between the wheel well and door jamb at the bottom of the quarter welded? It where the quarter attaches to the rocker. There doesn’t appear to be any access from the inside.

The car is a ‘75 T/A.
I used panel bond on 2 areas I couldn't get to with the mig gun when I put my quarters on. The rocker to quarter and the short flange between the trunk and rear glass on my 70 GTO. I wish I would have done it at the wheelhouse for the sealing aspect of it tho.

John

Old 05-11-2021, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by many birds View Post
..............How do I weld the area between the wheel well and door jamb at the bottom of the quarter welded? It where the quarter attaches to the rocker. There doesn’t appear to be any access from the inside.

The car is a ‘75 T/A.

Through the jamb's vent grill opening.