Old 04-08-2021, 12:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Great read...and excellent photos and documentation. I really enjoy reading these build threads - since they are always an inspiration to keep working. I know from my own thread - that keeping a build thread updated and organized can be a lot of work. Thanks for taking the time and posting.

Old 04-08-2021, 07:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Wild_Cat View Post
Great read...and excellent photos and documentation. I really enjoy reading these build threads - since they are always an inspiration to keep working. I know from my own thread - that keeping a build thread updated and organized can be a lot of work. Thanks for taking the time and posting.
Thanks!
Since it's fun for me to do, I don't consider it work. Glad you are enjoying reading. I'll check out your build thread.

Today:
I thought about painting the body floor with epoxy today and changed my mind. I'll wait until I have the body back on the frame so I can get all the bracing out of the way.
My intention is to install the engine and transmission and then wrap the entire chassis in plastic stretch wrap right before setting the body on.
So I continued to get a few more things installed on the frame today instead. I got more brake lines installed and all the e-brake cables.

The clips with the bolts you see are the originals that I blasted and painted with Duplicolor aluminum engine enamel. I wont use original clips along the straight part of the frame rail that also clip the fuel lines in. They won't work since I need to run the fuel lines different from stock for the fuel injection. I haven't bought any fuel line yet but I will need to run 2 - 3/8" lines for the feed and return. I'm still studying on how I want to do it.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
Old 04-08-2021, 08:12 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1 View Post
Thanks!
Since it's fun for me to do, I don't consider it work. Glad you are enjoying reading. I'll check out your build thread.

Today:
I thought about painting the body floor with epoxy today and changed my mind. I'll wait until I have the body back on the frame so I can get all the bracing out of the way.
My intention is to install the engine and transmission and then wrap the entire chassis in plastic stretch wrap right before setting the body on.
So I continued to get a few more things installed on the frame today instead. I got more brake lines installed and all the e-brake cables.

The clips with the bolts you see are the originals that I blasted and painted with Duplicolor aluminum engine enamel. I wont use original clips along the straight part of the frame rail that also clip the fuel lines in. They won't work since I need to run the fuel lines different from stock for the fuel injection. I haven't bought any fuel line yet but I will need to run 2 - 3/8" lines for the feed and return. I'm still studying on how I want to do it.

Nice and clean-great job!!! Marc

Old 04-08-2021, 08:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does a 69 have a return line on the passenger side?

That and the fuel line you will want to install before the springs.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think he has a buddy (possibly named Dave) that helps him while he is sleeping??

Old 04-08-2021, 10:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
Does a 69 have a return line on the passenger side?
That and the fuel line you will want to install before the springs.
No the '69 V8s has a 3/8" fuel line and a 1/4" return line run on the driver side. 6 cyl cars had them run on the passenger side. So, the frame has clip mounting holes on both sides.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO

Last edited by roger1; 04-08-2021 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejudge View Post
Nice and clean-great job!!! Marc
Thanks Marc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
I think he has a buddy (possibly named Dave) that helps him while he is sleeping??
No help. Just me!

Old 04-09-2021, 02:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think Roger is an alien from the planet Autosignet IV come to earth to use his powers to shame us all. You are just too fast, too neat and too focused to be one of us.

The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 06:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The convertible brake & fuel lines have some odd bents in them on the drivers side. This was one of the areas I really struggled. I had pics from the guys here & had to rebend the lines an awful lot around the crossmember area. mine also came across the top of spring pocket where some of them tucked just in front.

Here's a link the the thread if it helps.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=818210

68RT

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 04-09-2021, 06:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I think Roger is an alien from the planet Autosignet IV come to earth to use his powers to shame us all. You are just too fast, too neat and too focused to be one of us.
I have been waiting for roger to burn out & take a break. I get exhausted just following the thread.

But so far it looks like the only burnout Roger will experience will be from the rear tires.

All kidding aside, this has to be the fastest nut & bolt restorations ever documented on this forum. Truly amazing pace!

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
The Following User Says Thank You to 68ragtop For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 08:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ragtop View Post
I have been waiting for roger to burn out & take a break. I get exhausted just following the thread.
But so far it looks like the only burnout Roger will experience will be from the rear tires.
All kidding aside, this has to be the fastest nut & bolt restorations ever documented on this forum. Truly amazing pace!
Dataway and 68, you guys crack me up. And thanks for the compliments!
Btw, today marks 6 months that I have been working on this project. Things will slow down in the summer when it gets hotter than blazes here. I do have some other things planned.

Quote:
The convertible brake & fuel lines have some odd bents in them on the drivers side. This was one of the areas I really struggled. I had pics from the guys here & had to rebend the lines an awful lot around the crossmember area. mine also came across the top of spring pocket where some of them tucked just in front.
Here's a link the the thread if it helps.
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=81821068RT
Thanks.
One option I was looking at for the fuel lines was to buy 2 of these from Inline Tube, run them side-by-side and try to find some aftermarket clips to use along the straight part of the frame rail that will hold them and the brake line. With my fuel injection setup, I wont need that 1/4" vapor return line.
I wont be able to run stock clips where the fuel lines go back to the tank either but my intention is not to drill and new holes in the frame. But, I might install rivet nuts into a few existing holes.

Old 04-09-2021, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What injection system are your going with? Just curious, I am actually in the process of sorting that out myself on another vehicle. The ones I am looking at all use the return line & the car I am going to be installing it on only has a supply & vent that comes up to the charcoal canister. Too small to use for fuel so I have to add a dedicated return line for that car.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 04-09-2021, 09:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
What injection system are your going with? Just curious, I am actually in the process of sorting that out myself on another vehicle. The ones I am looking at all use the return line & the car I am going to be installing it on only has a supply & vent that comes up to the charcoal canister. Too small to use for fuel so I have to add a dedicated return line for that car.
It's an Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 35970. I've already bought it and it's over at the machine shop with the engine. He's going to set it up on his dyno after the engine is complete.

Old 04-09-2021, 09:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
No the '69 V8s has a 3/8" fuel line and a 1/4" return line run on the driver side. 6 cyl cars had them run on the passenger side. So, the frame has clip mounting holes on both sides.
Ah. My 71 has vapor return lines on the passenger side - they were buggers to fish thru the spring pocket: would have been much easier without the spring!

Quote:
It's an Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 35970. I've already bought it and it's over at the machine shop with the engine. He's going to set it up on his dyno after the engine is complete.
I am very happy with mine - a hell of a lot better than the Holley 20 years ago.

Old 04-12-2021, 07:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Decided what I'm going to do for fuel lines. I bought a stock type pre-bent fuel line from Inline tube to run on along the driver side frame with the rear brake line. That allows me to use stock clamps along the straight part of the frame and I ordered those too. For the return line, I decided to run that on the passenger side but will bend that myself. I ordered a roll of 3/8" nicopp tubing that's easier to bend than regular steel fuel line. And I will use existing holes in the frame for new 3/8" clamps with 5/16" bolts so I can use factory holes. Even though this is a resto-mod, I don't want to drill new holes when I don't have to.

I haven't done a lot of new things in the shop since my last post. I've been spending a lot of time on the computer researching parts. My interior guy emailed me and said he wants me to buy new seat foam, so before ordering that from Ames, I worked up an order with a lot other parts from Ames and got that done this morning. I went though all the small parts for the seats and cleaned up and painted some and ordered others from Ames that I wanted to replace. I also got the small parts cleaned, blasted and painted where necessary and wrapped and ready to go back to the interior shop when the new stuff gets here.

I installed the most of the steering linkage but haven't tightened all up yet. I haven't heard anything on when my new spring compressor will ship but I'm hoping not long after I finish installing the fuel lines.

I moved all the rest of the things out of my storage shed and lined them up. I figured I would try and get the paint stripped and get my blasting done while I'm waiting for my engine and transmission. The weather window for me to do outside blasting is running short. Not too many cool days left here before the heat sets in for good.

I got these out too. I'll want to blast them after I get the crud off and repair the sloppy access hole.

So my plan after putting the body back on the frame is to install all these things in a mock-up. I'll then get everything aligned the way I want and start the primering and blocking phase. But I will blow it all back apart for painting it all.

So I got a call from the machine shop on Friday. They got started on my engine. The previous machine work on the block checked out good. The cylinders were a little too tight for the pistons but is what you want before honing them. Evidently he's got a super good honing machine too. He didn't like the rope type rear main in the gasket kit I gave him and wanted me to get one from Butler along with a new oil pump shaft. I got that rush delivered and it got here today. Sounds like he will pretty much have the engine complete this week but it may be another week until he's ready to run it.
He did want me to buy the fuel pressure regulator I was going to use rather than the one on his dyno machine. I had to do quite a bit of research on that before making a decision. I got some help on the Edelbrock forum for that decision too. I'm getting a 58 psi one from Edelbrock that mounts on the fuel rail. They also gave me some advice on the forum for software parameters to use for the initial programming.

Last edited by roger1; 04-12-2021 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking at the original pics on this thread I’m questioning if your interior guy is making the right decision about needing seat foams. Barring cars with utterly chewed up seats I find that usually what is needed is replacement spring set for the bottom.

The new springs on the original foam cushion always give a better end result than those repro foam kits that are not the right shape and density.

Just my two cents but factory foam with new springs and legendary covers come out beautiful while those repro foam gives that overstuffed feeling and poor fit at the corners.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 04-12-2021, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you running your fuel line thru the crossmember? I came in short of it and fed from the rear.

I switched the crossover to the front and ran a pressure gauge in the rear passenger side. I did not want to fish it thru the PS pump and alternator stuff.

Old 04-12-2021, 08:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
Looking at the original pics on this thread I’m questioning if your interior guy is making the right decision about needing seat foams. Barring cars with utterly chewed up seats I find that usually what is needed is replacement spring set for the bottom.
The new springs on the original foam cushion always give a better end result than those repro foam kits that are not the right shape and density.
Just my two cents but factory foam with new springs and legendary covers come out beautiful while those repro foam gives that overstuffed feeling and poor fit at the corners.
Appreciate your advice but I consider the guy I use the best of the best. Everything I've had done by him before has been perfect. This is the 4th time I have had him do seats for my project cars.
He said it definitely needs new foam in the seat parts. He's well experienced in using replacement seat foams. He did tell me he did a little repair on the d/s seat with a new portion and said it will be fine. However, he intends to put that seat base on the passenger side if possible since he always does that when he can. I bought the ACI seat foam set which I have heard are much better than the cheaper ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
Are you running your fuel line thru the crossmember? I came in short of it and fed from the rear.
I switched the crossover to the front and ran a pressure gauge in the rear passenger side. I did not want to fish it thru the PS pump and alternator stuff.
For now I'm going to do that but I wont decide how exactly to run everything at the engine until I get to that part and that wont be until the car is painted and I get it ready for running. I may end up not running them through the crossmember but they will be already through there if I decide to do it that way.

Btw, did you go with the 35lb injectors? In guessing the horsepower of my engine at around 400, I was right on the line of being able to go either way and chose the 29lb. A guy on the Edelbrock forum said he thought I made the better choice.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not really sure - what ever came with the 450hp kit is what I got.

I ran the Corvette regulator on the rear by the tank to keep it simple and cheap. Some guys run all AN stuff which is needlessly expensive. Running the fuels lines before body drop is a hell of a lot easier.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That would be the same kit I bought with 29lb injectors. The 550 hp version has the 35lb injectors.