THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-27-2021, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
There was a 1600 and then later a 2000 Datsun roadster sold in the US. Here's a bit of trivia - the Fairlady name used in Japan came from the president of Nissan, after he saw the Broadway show My Fair Lady.
There was also a 2000 NOT sold in the United States in 1968, because it would not pass smog emissions; but it was sold in Canada.

At least one of them made it to the USA I really wish I had taken more pictures.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 04-28-2021, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
I thought the Fairlady roadsters were called 1600's (fairlady was the the Z car 240+)and Skylines are the same as Infinities in the US. Honestly I have never heard of their domestic names until a couple of years ago. And I remember when Nissans were Datsuns. I suppose its the video game era that has brought these names to the forefront.
That 1600 is properly called the Fairlady in certain markets and was the precursor to the Z cars...which actually are also called Fairlady in some markets.
All of my Z cars have had the Datsun badge. My latest is an '80 model and I think they dumped the Datsun callouts in '82 or somewhere around there.
Don't mean to hijack the thread but I found this cool pic somewhere a while back and saved it. They hit a home run with this body style in my opinion. Also of interest is the Roadster in the background.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6a624bc9750d049371df319d9a4bd79b.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	565568  

Old 04-28-2021, 09:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The z cars are definitely a beautiful car, especially the early ones. I had a buddy in hs that had a 240, his mom bought it new and it was a hand me down. That thing was awesome. I would love to have one or a 260. But alas one of the t/a's will have to go first. I can see how the styling is highly inspired by the Ferrari Daytona or was it the other way around. Seems for a long time the cars from the east were modeled after european designs. I think the the Z cars are still a bit undervalued at this time. I think it wont be long until prime examples are in the 6 digits, if there arent some that are there now.

Old 04-28-2021, 10:51 AM

I don't understand either really crazy!

Old 04-28-2021, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the classic car market is due for a serious "market correction" sometime in the near future.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 04-28-2021, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455abody View Post
I don't understand either really crazy!
Me either, questionable styling after the mid 70's. At least the 240Z's had a clean appearance.

Can remember when the 300zx Turbos came out. A prev running buddy of mine went out & traded in his '83 Z-28 on a new Anniv Edition 300zx Turbo. Rode in it several times... between the uggh exterior styling & the digital dash display, can't say I was ever a fan. As a lighter "performance" car nether his prev 83 Z28, or the Nissan could keep up with my lightly modded '80 Turbo T/A whether it was from a stoplight, from a roll, or in tight corners. Less than a year after purchase, my old friend fell asleep & rolled the 300zx Turbo, went through the roof & was nearly killed. It was then no surprise that he went back to a solid roof GM product, be it a lethargic Monte SS. Crazy times, ran across quite a bit of old Oil Patch money being spent down this way on mid 80's plastic. Other than a couple local acquaintances older than me keeping their Grand Nationals & my mothballing my '80, not much '80's iron was held on to.

Old 04-28-2021, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
That 1600 is properly called the Fairlady in certain markets and was the precursor to the Z cars...which actually are also called Fairlady in some markets.
All of my Z cars have had the Datsun badge. My latest is an '80 model and I think they dumped the Datsun callouts in '82 or somewhere around there.

The Datsun name completely disappeared in 85. In 84 they used both Datsun and Nissan on the rear hatch. I guess they couldn't decide which to use that year lol

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2021, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A very good friend of mine will have a 1971 Datsun 240 Z going up for sale in the next few weeks. He has a 71 Pantera on the Hemmings site right now. As soon as it's gone, the Datsun is next. It is a super solid original paint car, never molested or modified. Orange/black. There seems to be allot of interest in these cars here so I will try to give a heads up if interested. The Z is in running condition and complete. I would call it a survivor car I guess.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2021, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default My 280Z

I had this car for a while. Paid $500. for it from a lady. Great cars, ran excellent. Sold it to a co-worker for a $1000. Wish I never did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	406 058.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	565601   Click image for larger version

Name:	406 061.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	565602  

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 04-28-2021, 04:30 PM

I would really like to pick up a clean late seventies Firebird like I have had in the past But I would not consider paying these super inflated prices. If they don't ever come off I will just enjoy my 99 WS6. Brian

Old 04-28-2021, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
I had this car for a while. Paid $500. for it from a lady. Great cars, ran excellent. Sold it to a co-worker for a $1000. Wish I never did.
The 2.4L-2.8L inline 6 Nissan engine is a super reliable, rugged, smooth engine. When I worked at the Datsun dealer, we had ZERO lower end failures in the 3 years I worked there. An occasional head gasket, one dropped valve seat, covered under warranty, and the usual driveability, and small leaks. That's about it. The 4-cyl version used in the 510-610-710 was also very reliable. They were sourced from their industrial engines, forklifts and such. Other than horrible rust issues, the cars were stone reliable. We used to joke at the dealer the cars would run 200,000 miles and the only things holding them together were the radiator hoses and flexible brake lines! When the termites quite holding hands, it was game over.

Old 04-28-2021, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455abody View Post
I would really like to pick up a clean late seventies Firebird like I have had in the past But I would not consider paying these super inflated prices. If they don't ever come off I will just enjoy my 99 WS6. Brian
People want $5000 for ragged out junk that needs everything.. kinda takes the fun out of it..

Old 04-29-2021, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That is the twin to my second one bought in '87. Only had it a few months before I had to let it go to a cousin who took over payments. I really regretted getting rid of it but a change in financial situations dictated that deal.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
The 2.4L-2.8L inline 6 Nissan engine is a super reliable, rugged, smooth engine. When I worked at the Datsun dealer, we had ZERO lower end failures in the 3 years I worked there. An occasional head gasket, one dropped valve seat, covered under warranty, and the usual driveability, and small leaks. That's about it. The 4-cyl version used in the 510-610-710 was also very reliable. They were sourced from their industrial engines, forklifts and such. Other than horrible rust issues, the cars were stone reliable. We used to joke at the dealer the cars would run 200,000 miles and the only things holding them together were the radiator hoses and flexible brake lines! When the termites quite holding hands, it was game over.
The 4 cylinder 2 litre engine (U-20) was not quite so reliable (or maybe just the ultra-high performance that spun at ridiculous RPM's) due to the very long timing chain for the overhead cam. Rust was an issue, but not a problem as the roadsters had a frame, whereas the 240-Z was unibody. I personally considered the 240-Z a step back from the roadster, even with the 6 cylinder.

Jon.

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah that timing chain. I just replaced mine in the ZX....and it's a pain in the patooty. Heaven help you if you forget to block that chain against the tensioner before you take the cam gear off. The timing cover is sandwiched between the oil pan and the head.
The engines are very reliable but '70s and '80s Z cars DO rust!. Someone put undercoating on this one and as much as I dislike it, it probably saved this car. I just spent the last two evenings cleaning it off the underside of the HOOD!
I personally never wanted one of the more angular body styled ZXs and the only reason I bought the one I have now is the fact that it had very little rust as these go, it was cheap at $2K, it ran and drove great and I had sold my VW bug for $2500 a couple of days before looking at it.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 04-29-2021 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in the early 90's I had a '79 280zx with a 5 speed. Even though the car was well taken care of and in nice shape.. I wasn't impressed.

Old 04-30-2021, 12:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The roadsters were geared for the Bonneville salt flats! Original rear gears were 3.70:1. With these gears, the car would break the legal speed limit in LOW gear.

Finally changed out the 3.70 to a 5.13 so I could use most of the gears. In 5th, the engine was still way below the power curve. But the 5.13 introduced another issue...........traction. Datsun/Nissan didn't offer a limited slip, and the locker on the street was no fun!

Jon.

Old 04-30-2021, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Don't mean to hijack the thread but I found this cool pic somewhere a while back and saved it. They hit a home run with this body style in my opinion. Also of interest is the Roadster in the background.

Always thought they were great looking cars....but oh that rust!!!

Old 05-03-2021, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Anonymous View Post
The 88-98 Tahoe and Suburban are very hot right now. Pristine examples are fetching crazy money. When I sold my 93 2500 suburban with 454 and 4wd a few years back, I thought I was above market. Now its worth double that, and has been sold twice more. I replaced it with a 2005 Dodge crew cab Cummins 2wd dually, and its now worth 8k more than I paid. Strange times indeed.
The 88-98 Tahoe/Subs are among the worst ever made IMHO, unfortunately I've owned several of them but never again!

1968 Lemans. 37,000 original miles. GTO clone. 462ci/KRE 290 heads. UltraDyne 280/288 Solid/850 Qjet by Cliff/Performer RPM/TSP 9.5" in TH400/8.5" 3.42 gears/3950# Race weight/12.58@106 at Bandimere speedway high altitude
Old 05-03-2021, 05:08 PM
Senior Chief

My brother had an 83 280ZX, we overhauled and put in an earlier engine as a replacement for his mosquito fogger. It had the hardest valve seats I'd ever seen. Using an old Sioux seat grinder (This was 1989), it was absolute hell on stones. That earlier engine was missing some mounting bosses used on the later engine, but we eventually got it. It was a damn good runner and reliable as hell. The rust came and ate it up so quickly that it was hard to believe.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan