THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:27 PM
Senior Chief

Default Workbenches

Finally getting motivated after moving last summer. My garage is a mess and its time to get started back working on the car. Been shopping for a workbench that hold my little vise. Ended up building one out of 2x6 for a lot cheaper than anything I could even find. Not the nicest looking but very functional. Lol
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	424518

Old 03-25-2016, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks very good to me! I have trouble keeping a work bench cleared off. They can be a curse if you want to stay organized!
What kind of vise is that?

Old 03-25-2016, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I keep my vise under the bench,ready to be bolted to the bench if i need it.same with my bench grinder.I agree with 400,mine tends to accumulate stuff..

Old 03-25-2016, 11:10 PM
Senior Chief

I fully understand the crowded work space.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	424530
This is why I built another bench because as you can see. Lol
I will not keep the bench grinder on this bench. More than likely will get a pedestal or make one. And the vise is a old Ridgid brand that is a tank. Got tired of the cheap Wilton stuff.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu72 View Post
I fully understand the crowded work space.
Attachment 424530
This is why I built another bench because as you can see. Lol
I will not keep the bench grinder on this bench. More than likely will get a pedestal or make one. And the vise is a old Ridgid brand that is a tank. Got tired of the cheap Wilton stuff.
Your workspace looks very organized to me. I have a bench that's 8 feet long at least and I have to shove everything to the side if I want to do anything at all on it.
You did a great job on that. I have trouble driving a nail straight myself.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I do have a large vice and bench grinder bolted to my 8' bench but clear space is typically hard to come by!

Old 03-25-2016, 11:36 PM
Senior Chief

It amazes me how one can pack so much stuff in one garage. Before I moved all I had was a two car detached. Now I have two garages and a shed but can't seem to get my sh*t all put away. Lol

Old 03-26-2016, 12:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll have to post a picture tomorrow, no room on bench for anything, LOL. Not even a vise bolted down to it. But cluttered. Car parts and stuff one might need in the next ten years. LMAO.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

After building numerous benches over the years I went to pallet racks. Like you see in Home Depot etc. Commercial "pallet racks" can ship freight to your local hub and are reasonably priced ... and will hold thousands of pounds. They are expandable, can be taken down and moved, added on to etc.
All the shelves are adjustable so you can have a work bench, shelf above, below etc. Strong enough to support a metal lathe, presses and such.

Only downside is being metal they are not as easy to bolt things to, and you have to fill in the rack shelves with 3/4" ply wood to have a work surface.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

the one I built stays a mess. Haven't got a vise yet and bench grinder has yet to be bolted down, going to weld a plate on the back of it to keep sparks from hitting the walls.

A poor man has poor ways.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu72 View Post
It amazes me how one can pack so much stuff in one garage. Before I moved all I had was a two car detached. Now I have two garages and a shed but can't seem to get my sh*t all put away. Lol
Turned my shed into a garden supplies, sprout starts, and chicken coop. Garage seems to be Half- Done, bench is completely covered with Q-JETs and intakes, while the other Half of the garage has been low priority pile up.

Longer daylight promotes more time to remedy, as it has taken a month of Sundays to get things where its at.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:39 AM
Senior Chief

I'm glad that more people are like me. I try to keep the bench(es) clear, but I swear someone goes in there at night and messes it up!!

Old 03-26-2016, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
Turned my shed into a garden supplies, sprout starts, and chicken coop. Garage seems to be Half- Done, bench is completely covered with Q-JETs and intakes, while the other Half of the garage has been low priority pile up.

Longer daylight promotes more time to remedy, as it has taken a month of Sundays to get things where its at.
What kind of chickens do you have? Any pictures?
I want to get some .... but it's real cold up here in the winter, and lots of foxes, ermines, weasels etc. Half the people I talk to love their chickens, the other half think they are the dumbest, most annoy creatures on earth.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yeah, I know what ya mean, I can't stand a messy, unorganized garage!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	68GTO.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	424578  

Old 03-27-2016, 08:42 AM

Default Chicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
What kind of chickens do you have? Any pictures?
I want to get some .... but it's real cold up here in the winter, and lots of foxes, ermines, weasels etc. Half the people I talk to love their chickens, the other half think they are the dumbest, most annoy creatures on earth.
We had chickens. They wound up being pets. You have to have quite a few to get any amount of eggs then when they stop laying its time to eat them. My son got attached since he hatched them and couldn't do it. They do control the tick population. We recently moved and gave them to his friend who has a farm close by. BTW Garage Journal has a lot of info on garage storage and gadgets.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Winter cludder, lol, if I go out the shop during winter and start to work on something, I don't usually clean up, just lock the door and walk away till next time. I'm the only one that goes out there so not so bad. LMAO.

Pictures too large to upload.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:50 PM

22 feet of bench , I got too much stuff.

Old 03-27-2016, 02:27 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
22 feet of bench , I got too much stuff.

Nice another peg bored guy. Lol
I still need to put some above my long workbench. Very handy way of storing tools that are used a lot and odd ball stuff.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't ask about the colors.... Just did this in my small shop.

Made it from 2x6 and 4x4, and scrap 2x12, heavy and sturdy.

Above bench storage shelf. Wham Bham LED lighting add.

Above bench stereo, pawn shop piece together. Cheap! Loud! Big LED tubes really light it up when on.

Last edited by bird72; 03-27-2016 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's mine which I built myself. My hobby was furniture and cabinet making before I fell in love with cars. The top is made from two 8' tall X 1-3/4" thick solid fire rated commercial doors wrapped in stainless. It's a little bit junkier now, and I added a 10' metal work table sort of like an island.