THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:02 AM
Senior Chief

We have officially entered a whole new level of work stations now. Wow we are going to need to step it up a notch. Lol

Old 03-28-2016, 10:37 AM
Senior Chief

Nice shop Bob! Here's my humble bench-work area
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	424726  

Old 03-28-2016, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Heres what I hope to be a temp set up. I built the bench about five years ago. This year we're putting up an outside shed (hopefully) and the bikes and crap will move out. Ill be putting up cabinets and more lighting. I bought the fridge at a garage sale last year and it dates back to 1947. Still works great!

Old 03-28-2016, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey J.D I got the same calendar!

I'm extremely hard on benches. Mine is currently leaning a little. I see a new bench in the future.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 03-28-2016, 04:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

...and I remember wanting just a single stall garage....

Old 03-28-2016, 05:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used to mount my vise ON the workbench. But whenever I had to hammer/beat on something, stuff would bounce all over the place. I took 4 4x6's screwed them together, than screwed them to the workbench and mounted the vise on them. Doesn't shake the workbench nearly as much.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2949.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	424744  

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 03-28-2016, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was feeling pretty good about my humble garage and work bench until Bob chimed in! Wow, nice.

This was my last house. I wanted a bigger garage then, but now I've downsized and am stuck in a 1 car garage so I long for the old one! LOL

I built the bench by taking an 8' formica counter top from home depot pre-made, then screwing in two 2x10's to the bottom. Legs are 4x4 posts. My vice was my grandfather's and it's BIG and HEAVY. I used to use a peg board, but when I moved I knew I wouldn't have the wall space, so I invested in a nice tool chest that I always wanted. It's got 3 pieces, full roller drawers and is VERY neat and organized.

The new one is 1 bay wide and extra long, so I've got my bench on the end. I'll upload some pics. It's tight, but I'm skinny ;-) I've since added heat. It's not like the BTU I had in the old place, but it'll take the edge off.

I back the Pontiac in and keep it close to the passenger side wall. I've lined the wall with sheets of styrofoam just to reduce the hurt should the unthinkable happen.

The biggest PITA is that this garage is semi-attached and I must go outside to get into the garage. THAT SUCKS! My last garage was off the kitchen/mud room so I was able to be part of the family when I was out there and my sons (where were very young then) would come out and hang with me all the time. My garage had such good heat it would warm up the kitchen!

Oh well. At least my car is nicer now than the old one.

469, M21, 3.42

Old 03-28-2016, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What's on the computer monitor looks very familiar.....hmmmm...can't quite make it out.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Like those before me my workbench is a mess. A total mess! Actually the whole garage is a mess. Even my storage shed is a mess but it needs to be torn down and rebuilt. It's only 8x16 so there's not much room in it. The new one will be 16x16 with 8' walls so I can move most of said mess into it.

I'd show a photo of it but I don't want to scare anyone.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
What's on the computer monitor looks very familiar.....hmmmm...can't quite make it out.

Prolly simple man's car ?
How do you make the pics bigger?

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 03-29-2016, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was just joking OGR....my point was really just that it's on the PY Forums page.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You're not having any fun if your work bench is clean.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Finally...a normal person's work area. ^^^
If you never have to go buy another of what you're sure is on your workbench because it's quicker than finding it, there's definitely something wrong with you.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
You're not having any fun if your work bench is clean.

My blood pressure just went up and I think I'm developing facial ticks!

last weekend by coincidence I cleaned off my bench and every time I look at it I get a feeling of calmness. I also put everything away immediately after I use it.

Wait, don't tell me, are your tool chest drawers a mess of wrenches and stuff flying around every time you open it? NO, DON'T ANSWER THAT!

My sockets are all in those labeled, slotted plastic place holders. My drawers are lined with rubber mats so the tools stay exactly where I put them (which of course is in size order and in categories of intended use). Sometimes I really enjoy my OCD. It's the little things in life that make me happy.

BTW, I like that yard stick you've got attached to the front of your bench. I may have to steal that idea

469, M21, 3.42

Old 03-29-2016, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The upper picture I was making something. Exhaust crossover cover plates from aluminum, I believe. That's been a while. It's labeled 2009 but I believe it's older than that. My dad made the rocking chair about 30 years ago. It's one of my favorite things in the world.
#2 is a q-jet explosion down to the the idle tubes. Labeled 2009. The "for sale" sign came out of the passengers door. I found it when I put new seals/sweeps/rubber around the car in the early 2000's.
#3 swapping alternators and eating wedding cookies. About 5 pegboard rows above the boom box radio is a piece of tape labeled "idle tube screw". Right above that tape is the screw. It has the sharp part of the end ground off so it won't drive the tube out of the collar. I take idle tubes out with it.
#4 during the Turbo 400 to TKO600 swap. That ordeal lasted months and went through a lot of phases. There were many waves of messing up then cleaning up along the way. 4-5 years ago. The Rochester cabinet has.......carb parts in it. I got the cabinet cheap (at some time after the top picture) and it's been handy.
#5 I was taking the 400 out here. A 455 was around there somewhere. 3 years ago?

The yardstick is very handy. Gorilla glue holds it. Tool box drawers are neatly laid out. Sockets on racks and separated metric/standard. Wrenches broken out by line-metric/standard-ratchet. The screwdriver drawer is a mess, but it's just the leftovers and oddballs. The ones I use regularly are in holders above the workbench. If it makes sense to hang a tool up, I hang it up.

When I do something big....take an engine apart etc, I set up saw horses (covered with a piece of 3/4" plywood) in front of the car to handle the big stuff or keep things spread out and/or better organized. The horses show up in a couple of the pictures. When I take the GTO's engine out the wife's Highlander has to stay outside. Not good.......

The LED lights are amazing. No buzz and a crisp white light. (4000k) Normally my bench is pretty clean and clear. 75% of the surface area clear?

My side of the basement has a LOT of stuff in it, including a set of new tires for my truck, 2 complete engines, a set of heads and a turbo 400. Actually, all of that stuff is in the picture below. If I ever have to move.....

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GTO panorama.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	424803  

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.

Last edited by David Jones; 03-29-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

When I clean up my work bench and put all tools away intool box,I can't find anything! So use to tools on bench,that 9/16 s is right over there, ahh it's in tool box.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam View Post
I was feeling pretty good about my humble garage and work bench until Bob chimed in! Wow, nice.
x2. Bob inspired me to get a little bit done in my own garage.

Office/workbench area is complete. The car bays are next.

K
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0518141959b.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	424804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Display case.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	424805   Click image for larger version

Name:	GarageRemodel1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	424807   Click image for larger version

Name:	GarageRemodel12.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	424808   Click image for larger version

Name:	GarageRemodel13.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	424809  

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 03-29-2016, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

These last three are from move-in day, so it's a bit more put together than that now.

K
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GarageRemodel14.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	424810   Click image for larger version

Name:	GarageRemodel15.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	424811   Click image for larger version

Name:	1112111306.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	424812   Click image for larger version

Name:	1112111307.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	424813   Click image for larger version

Name:	1112111423.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	424814  

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 03-29-2016, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Check out the workbench in Dad's garage. This is what I grew up with (He used tripower intakes as door stops!).

After he passed away I cleared all of the stuff off the top of the workbench, including a protective piece of cardboard. The working surface was a piece of beaverboard, polished to a shine, and edged with angle aluminum held in place with countersunk screws. It was a work of art.

We'd been in that house for 36 years at that point and I guess I never saw the top of his workbench before.

K
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LeMansConvert.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	424815  

Old 03-29-2016, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Keith - your bench looks great. Love the open cubes underneath and shelves above. Sometimes the doors underneath my bench are a pain. Two things I added to the right end when I built mine are file drawers and a pull out cutting board. They have been very handy to have. The cutting board is great for cutting gaskets, sandpaper, templates, and pepperoni and cheese.