Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Blasting Media

Right now I swap between glass bead, black beauty and walnut shells in my cabinet. Was thinking about going to steel shot (.017), so not really shot, more like bead, to replace the glass bead and black beauty. Anyone have any experience with the small steel shot? I mostly use the glass bead for removing rust/paint/etc. and the shells for delicate stuff. Glass bead wears out too quick, black beauty is a little too aggressive for some parts.
Opinions appreciated.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nobody using steel shot?

Old 06-11-2018, 08:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used it once to clean up a set of wheels. A neighbor took me to his workplace on the weekend and we put the wheel rims in a big cabinet with a rotisserie table in the center. We placed the wheels on table and the device threw the steel shot at the wheels as they turned. It cleaned the wheels fine but the tiny steel beads got crammed into the edges where the outer rim met the centers and there was no way to get them out. A couple of coats of thick paint covered it but still! The company he worked for rebuilt oilfield pumps and valves and for cleaning those types of cast iron castings where there are no crevices steel shot is fine I suppose but I would never use it again on anything with crevices or any type of ?? where the shot could get jambed in there. Also I would think it would eat aluminum, brass, potmetal, or any soft material right up. It did not eat the wheels up but the surface was more abraded than when I glass bead or use black beauty on them in my blasting cabinet.