THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default This is my luck

My A/C company came out today to do the six month service on my central unit. When he went up in the attic to check the unit he found the drain pan was almost full of water. He tried blowing the line out with nitrogen but that failed. He ran a camera probe into the line and found a dead snake had not only clogged the line but broke it.
Luckily, the secondary drain line worked and kept the water level low enough that the safety switch did not energize and shut the A/C down.

Old 05-05-2021, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like something that'd happen to me!

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You could have worse luck - you could be the snake.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2021, 12:53 PM

Your AC unit is in the attic? Mine is in the basement.

Old 05-05-2021, 01:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Some of us in the South don't have a basement/crawlspace.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
The Following User Says Thank You to vertigto For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2021, 02:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had that happen once- A lizard got electrocuted in the wiring in my outdoor unit. Guy cost me a few hundred bucks.

Old 05-05-2021, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post
Some of us in the South don't have a basement/crawlspace.

Yep. We go outside to watch our tornadoes!

The Following User Says Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2021, 06:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Clogged condensate drain is a pretty common issue. When the unit is in the attic and a secondary drain or float switch fails to shut the unit off, a lot of damage can occur. Generally the drain is clogged with debris because people don't have the units serviced on a regular basis. I will say, I've never seen a snake in one!!

Old 05-05-2021, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy View Post
Clogged condensate drain is a pretty common issue. When the unit is in the attic and a secondary drain or float switch fails to shut the unit off, a lot of damage can occur. Generally the drain is clogged with debris because people don't have the units serviced on a regular basis. I will say, I've never seen a snake in one!!
I have my unit serviced every six months. Several years ago the wife and I came back from a trip to find water dripping out of the light fixture in the dining room which is right under the attic unit. At that time we did not have a safety cut off on the unit. The drain line clogged in the attic. Luckily the ceiling held and all I had to do was wait for it to dry, apply a stain blocker then paint.

Old 05-05-2021, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To add insult to injury after the serviceman left I went out to start picking up yard debris caused by high winds last night during a thunderstorm. I had a small free standing swing structure that the original swing had finally decayed to the point that we couldn't sit in it anymore. Last Saturday we bought a new cedar swing and hung it until I can build a new enclosure. Well, the whole enclosure had blown over, crushed several new plants and uprooted two old clematis vines that were growing on it. Luckily (?) the new swing wasn't damaged. I tried to lift the enclosure but couldn't so I took it apart and threw it on my burn pile. I was hoping the price of lumber would go down before I had to replace it!

Old 05-06-2021, 01:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess the drain goes to ground level outdoors , and thats how the snake got into it ?
Have you taken measures to keep the next one from getting inside of it ?
Maybe a pet mongoose

Old 05-06-2021, 07:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The composition of the new a/c units combined with the condensate produces a live slime that grows in my drain pipe. Fortunately we keep the ac running year long so it doesn't get a chance to cause a problem. I didn't know this until my a/c guy who is also a Pontiac friend said he is seeing more and more of that.

Old 05-06-2021, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm so done with Central AC in the Attic.

Old 05-06-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
The composition of the new a/c units combined with the condensate produces a live slime that grows in my drain pipe. Fortunately we keep the ac running year long so it doesn't get a chance to cause a problem. I didn't know this until my a/c guy who is also a Pontiac friend said he is seeing more and more of that.
The slime is an issue! As part of my routine monthly house maintenance, I pour about 12 oz of white vinegar through the drain pipe. I access the drain at the overflow sensor by the unit. I have had no issues since I started doing this!
James Q

1963 Bonneville Safari - Nocturne Blue, 4-speed
Old 05-06-2021, 03:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My central air stopped working one day and before calling a tech. I took a look at it, fuses were good...power to unit...earwig in contacts...wait what? The little sucker just happened to be crawling between the contacts just as they closed. I removed the bug and it worked fine after. I probably saved some money on a service call.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 05-06-2021, 05:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
I guess the drain goes to ground level outdoors , and thats how the snake got into it ?
Have you taken measures to keep the next one from getting inside of it ?
Maybe a pet mongoose
Yes, the primary drain exits the house just above ground level. And I have posted no trespassing signs in the flower bed that the pipe drains into! But just to be sure I wrapped the end of the pipe with screen cloth.

Old 05-06-2021, 06:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does anyone in the south have a room dedicated to the a/c and heat and water tank so it’s not overhead? I live in Ohio so all are in the basement.

Old 05-06-2021, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a large spider short out the control board on my outside unit. I guess he was just conductive enough. It cost me a couple hundred dollars, and him his life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
My central air stopped working one day and before calling a tech. I took a look at it, fuses were good...power to unit...earwig in contacts...wait what? The little sucker just happened to be crawling between the contacts just as they closed. I removed the bug and it worked fine after. I probably saved some money on a service call.

Old 05-06-2021, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandam1979 View Post
Does anyone in the south have a room dedicated to the a/c and heat and water tank so it’s not overhead? I live in Ohio so all are in the basement.
Most homes built on a slab in the Southern Plains, TX, & the SE have a "heater closet" in the front of the garage. Central heat & AC unit, occasionally with natural gas water heater next to it, or in separate water heater closet. Some newer homes down this way are now being built running the water supply through the attics along with supply & return AC ductwork. When the attic temps were near zero recently in Feb, many newer homes in TX ended up experiencing busted water pipes in the attic

Occasionally, one will run across a builder down here installing central heat & AC unit in the attic. The last few years have ran across a few retrofits of central heat & AC units into the attics of near 50 year old homes, mainly in starter sized homes. In every case, the millennial first time home owners thought it was a good idea to move the unit up into the attic. I'll never get that.

Old 05-06-2021, 09:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

In NC, new homes on a slab usually have the water heater in the garage and air handler in the attic. They've (mostly) stopped putting the water heater in the attic and air handler in a closet.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400