THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-06-2021, 11:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I built my home in 1998 and the water heater was placed in the laundry room/ garage entrance to the house. It was placed there to be near the manabloc plumbing distribution panel All the pex plumbing lines run through the attic and I had a couple near the exterior wall froze one time but pex is designed to swell so it didn't bust. I have since added more insulation around the pex pipes and have had no further problems.
The air handler part of my central A/C is in the attic but the compressor is housed outside the house.All the A/C vents are in the ceiling.

Old 05-12-2021, 02:00 PM

My part time home in FL was due for A/C replacement so I had the air handler taken out of the attic and the new one installed in the garage. It cost some for the duct relocation work but I gotta think it will be better for the air handler to be out of the attic. Plus I can keep an eye on it better for maintenance, etc.

John

Old 05-12-2021, 02:13 PM
Boost Engineer

I have had my A/C "commercial unit" in my attic for 40 years and have never had any issues with its performance. It will pull the whole house down to 68 degrees vs the outside air in 20 minutes. 2600 square ft house. The 4 zone hot water system in under my back porch (in the laundry room), replaced that heating system about 12 years ago.

So I see no benefit myself with removing something that works very well.
The guy who built the house was a Plumber and A/C Contractor. Not sure where he
came up with this Commercial Store A/C system.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-12-2021, 02:25 PM

If something's working that good for that long, I wouldn't touch it either!

John

Old 05-12-2021, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm still seeing a lot of builders put water heaters in the attic....slab or crawlspace. Nothing good happens at that location. While they sit in a pan, that won't save you from a catastrophic failure. I generally tell them it might be in their best interest to put an alarm on the system that can also shut off the supply to the water heater. I have literally seen houses ruined by water heater leaks when people aren't home.

Old 05-12-2021, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I forgot what happened the previous visit by the A/C company. Old age isn't always fun! The serviceman dropped his tool pouch in the attic and cracked the Sheetrock ceiling in my living room. Fortunately I was able to put a piece of plywood in the attic, screw the Sheetrock to it and touch the crack and screw holes with mud and paint. It is hardly noticeable. I could have made the A/C company fix it, texture and repaint the ceiling but it wasn't worth the hassle.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

To me it would be well worth the hassle. He should have been more careful. Clumsy isn't good when someone works on someone's personal property.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.