Old 02-25-2022, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Steering Column Dimension

If any of you might have your steering wheel off.....
Could you give me the distance that the shaft extends beyond the column?

Thanks!
Tone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220225_182818.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	584881  

1965 GTO Post Coupe, Burgundy w/Parchment, 467, Crower 60243, Rhoads V-Max, Ported 5C's, JB Roller Rockers, Original '66 Tripower, Dave's Small-body HEI, RA Exh Manifolds, 2.5" Exh X-pipe w/Super Turbo's and SS Splitters, Tremec TKO 600, 3.91 12-Bolt Posi w/bearing retainers, boxed frame, 4X Discs with hydro-boost, EPAS
Old 02-25-2022, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't have mine apart right now, but that basically gets set when you install the column in the car. Once you bolt up the rag joint, you can set that final depth by where you tighten the column to the bottom of the dash.

Old 02-25-2022, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, understood, however i am installing a EPAS in the car so things are moving around
...lol

1965 GTO Post Coupe, Burgundy w/Parchment, 467, Crower 60243, Rhoads V-Max, Ported 5C's, JB Roller Rockers, Original '66 Tripower, Dave's Small-body HEI, RA Exh Manifolds, 2.5" Exh X-pipe w/Super Turbo's and SS Splitters, Tremec TKO 600, 3.91 12-Bolt Posi w/bearing retainers, boxed frame, 4X Discs with hydro-boost, EPAS
Old 02-26-2022, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtonegto View Post
Thanks, understood, however i am installing a EPAS in the car so things are moving around
...lol
If done incorrect you will have a gap between the wheel & column,best to fully assemble the column & wheel then do your cutting. let us know how the EPAS system works out.

Old 02-26-2022, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
If done incorrect you will have a gap between the wheel & column,best to fully assemble the column & wheel then do your cutting. let us know how the EPAS system works out.
Thanks for responding.
My concern doing it that way is that there will be no tension on the column - the spring would not compress. That would seem to effect the gap between the wheel and column.
Guess and cut short = oops! find another column......

Old 02-26-2022, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I should say that my rag joint is not stock.

Old 03-19-2022, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default EPAS System Update

The Saturn Vue system is installed and operational. Few things about the install:
- the upper brake pedal arm needs to be bent to get around the EPAS unit. I switch to a '69+ Camaro, it's configured with a partial bend.
- used 1/4" alum plate on outside of FW, retained thru existing holes and sealed.
- Used 2" ID thin-wall exhaust pipe to go thru the firewall plate. Conforms perfectly to the EPAS output retainer.
-used a Flashpower Swivel Column Floor Mount from Amazon. Mounted engine side on the alum FW plate. Makes for a profession looking install.
- got a second steering column to cut up. A piece of larger sized exhaust pipe welded to the column fits over the EPAS input retainer.
- requires notching of the clutch/brake assy support.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220319_163859.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	586623   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220319_173623.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	586624