Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 03-29-2022, 01:05 PM
Senior Chief

Default USPS problem

Hey Guys- hopefully someone can help me out. I sold some parts to a fellow in Europe, boxed everything up, brought the 12"x12"x48" package to the local PO, filled out the USPS Customs Note, paid my postage, off the box went. Came back to the PO 2 days later, claimed reason for return was failure to describe all the contents. There are 25 different parts in the box, mostly small items. Right-or-wrong, I wrote in "Auto Parts" in Block 2.
So, then I filled out a new Customs Note, filled out the 4 available spaces in Block 2, had an additional parts list for the PO. Tried to resend the box, found out I would be required to pay the full amount a second time......and NO refunds on the return on the first try.
That's where we're at, any remedies for me? Thanks on advance for your help.........

Old 03-29-2022, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My guess would be this is another milestone from the "School of Hard Knocks", but I would at least try the local Postmaster.

Good luck with it.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 03-29-2022, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd bet the P.O. can't do anything ... pretty sure that falls under customs enforcement.

But, hard to believe they are going to charge you again.

Old 03-29-2022, 04:33 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I'd bet the P.O. can't do anything ... pretty sure that falls under customs enforcement.

But, hard to believe they are going to charge you again.
I won't try a second time, I can just see them send it back again.

Old 03-29-2022, 04:36 PM
Senior Chief

...........and Yes, Jon, school of hard knocks indeed! But I did learn my lesson, to never send anything overseas again

Old 03-29-2022, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't know if it is still true but in the olden days, the only way to get the USPS' attention was through your Congressman.
Fortunately, the USPS is much more customer friendly these days.

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 03-29-2022, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talk to the station Postmaster - they have the juice to refund/resend.

We had a package bounce back from France because "France" and was refunded on the spot by the postmaster.

Royal Mail? haha no.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scarebird For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2022, 08:50 PM
Senior Chief

Thx, Scarebird, for the tip................spoke w/postmaster, was able to send the pkg. out again, no additional charge! I hope it gets to Finland this go-around! Thx again, you guys on this forum are the best!

Old 04-03-2022, 06:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I ship overseas daily and haven't had any issues with Customs returning anything. Mostly carburetor parts but I've shipped other items and never had anything returned because I grouped them into a single category on the paperwork.

USPS will NOT refund your shipping if a package is returned, you have to do it all over again......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 04-03-2022, 05:46 PM
Senior Chief

Correct, would not give a refund, but did not charge me again on the new shipment

Old 04-04-2022, 06:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I actually switched to Global Post about 6 months ago and have had ZERO issues with them.

Not sure if they are part of USPS but they use USPS for part of the journey.

I've learned some tough lessons using USPS for shipping. They are fine for small items, but really hard on larger stuff and their insurance is pretty much next to useless. They will IMMEDIATELY and without hesitation deny every single claim, almost always for "insufficient packing"........they just want you to go away. The second time they loose the paperwork........they just want you to go away.

You'll be on the phone for hours trying to get a living human being on the phone, and your finger will be worn out from selecting different numbers on the key pad of your phone trying to get to one anyhow!.......LOL.....

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post: