Old 04-14-2022, 12:19 PM

Default Suspension Question

My matching number 67 is in need of a front end rebuild and I figured I do the front disc conversion at the time but before making a mistake (like usual), please help. Do I have to go with parts to make it close to original or can I use modern suspension components like Hotchkis?Or will that hurt the value? Thanks

Old 04-14-2022, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you are not entering the car in show competitions where it will be judged strictly on originality, my vote would be to install an updated suspension and brakes to make it a safer and more enjoyable car to drive.

Regarding value, as long as you keep the original parts with the car and include them if/when you decide to sell, I don't think it will impact value at all. Suspension and brake stuff is all fully reversible, so you (or the next owner) could always bring the car back to its original state if desired. In the meantime, you get a better car to drive.

Personally, I recommend a suspension kit from UMI Performance or Global West. And don't forget about your tie rods, drag link, and idler arm - those things can cause slop in the front end as well. Inspect for wear/sloppiness and replace as needed.

For disc brake upgrades, you have options, but keep in mind that there are some (but not many) kits that will fit under 14" wheels. Many disc conversion kits require 15" wheels minimum. Not sure what wheels you have on your car. I used a complete front disc brake kit from CPP with standard height spindles and it all bolted up without issue, although I have 15" wheels.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 04-14-2022, 02:09 PM

I agree and that is what I want to do. I've found I enjoy the cars much more with the mods. I've got 14" rally 2's with all drums. Thank you for your advice.

Old 04-14-2022, 11:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know for sure but you may have a problem sourcing disc brakes for 14" wheels.