Old 05-04-2022, 09:42 PM

Default Wheel backspacing

My 67 GTO came with factory disc brakes. I'm finishing up my restoration now and the Ralley II wheels i have weren't for disc brakes. I read somewhere that they used a different wheelto clear the callipers. Can someone tellme what the backspacing is? I tried the other wheels with spacers, but the tires rub on turning so I need the correct geometry.

Old 05-05-2022, 06:58 AM

4.5" is what the original 14" 1967 JA wheel is. I believe the following codes all have the same offset. JA-JL-JT-KU-KT-KN.

Old 05-12-2022, 03:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

While there were distinct stock steel rims for 67 & 68 A-bodies that were supplied with disk brakes, I always thought that all Rally II's were made to clear the disk brakes. Maybe not if yours don't fit.

I was also thinking that the early 14" Rally II's were 6" bead to bead which would make the outside width 7", and there was no offset which would make the backspacing 3-1/2".

Old 05-12-2022, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Our '67 has the front 4 piston calipers and of course came with the proprietary steel wheel to clear the calipers. I thought that if I got some 15" Rally's that they would clear, but they did not. You'd need a Rally wheel that was made like the plain steel wheel, which looks like it's been hollowed out from behind.
So I ended up putting the 15" Rally's on, with a thin spacer behind. I'm not a fan of spacers, but they're relatively thin, about 3/16" I believe to clear. They just worked with the factory studs on the rotor.

This site has the codes for possible 14 x 6 rally's with disc brakes.

http://www.pontiacserver.com/wheels.html

Old 05-12-2022, 12:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My car has the factory 4 piston delco moraine calipers), so I've gone through this stuff with 14" wheels.

I think the steel wheel that fits is an "HB" code. (not sure, check service manual...it gives steel wheel codes) Pretty hard to find the disc brake steelies nowadays.

All Rally I's will fit.

For Rally II of the 14" size, I have test fit JA and JC 14" Rally II's, and they fit fine. I have read that there is possibly a JL(?) code that will work, but that wheel is rare and I've not gotten my hands on those.

Why do the JA and JC fit? The difference in the JA and JC wheels, that I have measured compared to lots of other 14" Rally II wheels is the center section. (NOT the backspacing or wheel hoop).

JA and JC center sections have deeper lug pockets compared to all other Rally II's. This "pushes" out the surface of the center section (the area with the cooling slots) away from the mounting surface; more room for the fat fixed 4 piston caliper.