THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-11-2022, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default What happened to the old car market???

We are busier than we have been in decades!!!!!

This is absolutely NOT a complaint, but haven't been fishing in a couple of years. Could clone myself 4 or 5 times and still be busy.

I cannot put a trend on what is selling, as we make carb kits for 1897 through 1974; but getting orders from about 1903 through 1974.

Pontiac sales are in the top 5, but Caterpiller is still number 1.

Other good sellers are Cadillac, Chevrolet, Buick, Nash, and I.H.C. Very little activity, at least for us, with MoPar or Ford.

Top selling carburetor brands are: Ensign, Marvel, Stromberg, Carter, Rochester, and Zenith.

For anyone that is GOOD with rebuilding carbs that would like to increase their income, there is a tremendous market right now for GOOD carburetor rebuilders. We turn down an average of 25 jobs per WEEK!

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.

Last edited by carbking; 05-11-2022 at 11:07 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2022, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking for afb carbs even good cores for the new bathtub intake. I have stock mid 60s afbs from Pontiac 4 bbl. I'm looking for more cfm. Thanks Bob.

Old 05-11-2022, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bob - PM sent.

Jon

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 05-12-2022, 07:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Im glad to hear your business is booming. I read about the ls swaps and EFI on forums and thought the carb was going the way of Dino. I run a carb in my T/A and will be doing so with my current project as well. I grew up driving carbureted cars and know their 'ticks' so I have no problem. I assume mine is properly tuned as I can hit a pump on the gas and it will start up with no problem, anytime of the year. I talk to a lot of guys at shows and have even read about swapping to FI and hear about the multitude of problems they have/had. Once dialed in they seem satisfied but the best comment most of them say is 'It starts on the first crank every time'. Mine does as well and at a much smaller cost.

Old 05-12-2022, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I seriously doubt if many Packard, Pierce, and Duesenberg owners will be doing LS swaps Don't know how they would work in a Caterpillar!

If I lived in Colorado, and had to drive to work daily, and went from 1500 feet to 12,000 feet twice a day; I would think about the possibility of considering efi.

Jon.

Old 05-12-2022, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When things get expensive and money tightens up ... maybe people start thinking about getting that old piece of equipment or car sorted out instead of buying a new toy.

Old 05-12-2022, 05:12 PM

Lots of videos on YouTube pulling ratted out vehicles sitting for decades and getting them to run/drive again. There's a huge viewer market watching those and it's sparking interests, even through generations of family members.

I know I'll catch flack for this statement here, but there's finally some big interest in older cars that goes beyond the muscle car era and deservedly so.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 59safaricat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2022, 05:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If we end up with E15 at the pumps, will it work in our cars. I've heard no and yes. Does anyone really know?

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 05-13-2022, 12:25 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Sure, E15 would "work"... almost as well as E10 "works"...

I think we can quit worrying about E15 talking over. People are finally realizing how inefficient gasahol really is- the huge amount of fuel burned to grow/harvest corn, etc.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jack Gifford For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2022, 08:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
I seriously doubt if many Packard, Pierce, and Duesenberg owners will be doing LS swaps Don't know how they would work in a Caterpillar!

If I lived in Colorado, and had to drive to work daily, and went from 1500 feet to 12,000 feet twice a day; I would think about the possibility of considering efi.

Jon.
I would think most Cat's are diesel injection.

Old 05-13-2022, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Early Caterpillars used gasoline engines.

Later Caterpillars with diesel main engines have starting a.k.a. "pony" engines which are gasoline. The early gasoline engines used Ensign carburetors, as did a few of the early diesel pony engines. Sometime in the 1930's, Ensign was purchased by I.H.C. and Caterpillar started using Zenith carbs for the pony engines.

As far as our orders are concerning, I am very encouraged in that, while there are still a number of folks that want carburetors; the rebuilding kit business is at an all-time high. There was a period a few years ago when hobby newbys didn't want to fix anything; just replace it (too many television shows).

But there are a lot of enthusiasts that would like someone else to rebuild their carburetor. However, many of these go ahead and order a kit when informed we no longer do rebuilding.

Very encouraging that so many are now willing to repair, or learn to repair, their vehicles.

Jon

The Following User Says Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2022, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Glad to hear folks doing something constructive with older vehicles, besides scrapping them!!

I watch Restored, and Vice Grip Garage, mostly. There’s many others, most don’t know how to produce a proper video. Tried to watch two young guys get a straight 8 Pontiac running. They talked endlessly, and acted so goofy, I had to shut it off....

A friend had a D7 Cat dozer for a while. It had a pony motor on it, it was in terrible condition, he got an eletric starter to work.

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 05-13-2022, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Early Caterpillars used gasoline engines.

Later Caterpillars with diesel main engines have starting a.k.a. "pony" engines which are gasoline. The early gasoline engines used Ensign carburetors, as did a few of the early diesel pony engines. Sometime in the 1930's, Ensign was purchased by I.H.C. and Caterpillar started using Zenith carbs for the pony engines.
There's a fellow in north central Minnesota who has a YouTube channel, where he restores old Caterpillar tractors. His videos are pretty good - there's no fooling around or trying to act funny, he just goes through them in intricate detail This spring he rebuilt three pony motors that are used on D2 Cats; the step-by-step process was real interesting. They were pretty trashed to start with, so he had to do some creative machining and mechanical repair to get them back to operating condition (he rebuilt the carbs, too. ) https://www.youtube.com/c/squatch253/playlists

Old 05-14-2022, 07:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm completely BURIED in parts sales here. Retired from everything else and still running 2-3 days behind most weeks filling orders.

I turned down half a dozen requests yesterday for carb rebuilding. Probably averaging 20-30 a week. It's a great time and opportunity for the right person IF you want to get into that business for sure...........

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2022, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Built two TH400, sort of a "last call", just before moving to AL (again). Still got somefight in me, but practicing retirement.

A complete Q-JET rebuild is tougher on me than a TH400, probably because of the external details, wear zones, parts conditions, and standing there at the bench has always been hard on me. Maybe a sit-down bench would help. Since my Q-JET performance result has been a matter of close but not excellent (for high-compr Q-JET on low Compr 455), the TH400 brings more confidence to my eagerness to take on.

Cliff, perhaps you can write up a specific instruction on the mods needed for early hi-compression Q-JETs to perform on 9.0:1 engines. I'd pay for thaat.

With all the talk about "nobody wants to do...", there still seems to be just enough hard-working folks in my circle, albeit 1-deep. Professionally, very high turn-over on a rather excellent project/program except for the company i'm helping (an old gig with rather dedicated staff). The CEO commented the worker shortage and turnove is everywhere. I commented but no here. He said but we can't find anybody new, we need more people.

Last edited by Half-Inch Stud; 05-14-2022 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-14-2022, 07:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If one were to do the carburetor rebuilding requests that Cliff and I together no longer do; should be enough to keep a "mom & pop" business doing great!

Jon.

Old 05-15-2022, 10:00 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
We are busier than we have been in decades!!!!!

This is absolutely NOT a complaint, but haven't been fishing in a couple of years. Could clone myself 4 or 5 times and still be busy.

I cannot put a trend on what is selling, as we make carb kits for 1897 through 1974; but getting orders from about 1903 through 1974.

Pontiac sales are in the top 5, but Caterpiller is still number 1.

Other good sellers are Cadillac, Chevrolet, Buick, Nash, and I.H.C. Very little activity, at least for us, with MoPar or Ford.

Top selling carburetor brands are: Ensign, Marvel, Stromberg, Carter, Rochester, and Zenith.

For anyone that is GOOD with rebuilding carbs that would like to increase their income, there is a tremendous market right now for GOOD carburetor rebuilders. We turn down an average of 25 jobs per WEEK!

Jon

I'll bet your area has some great Large mouth Bass fishing holes Jon!

Quality parts/service providers in our hobby will always be busy (like yourself), but I know what you mean about things going wild recently. My business usually runs along at about 300%, but this year is running more like 500%. Meaning I am turning down 5 customers for every one that I agree to transport for. I have been trying to wind down over the last couple of years to do more fishing, golfing, car building, etc but it is tough to say no most of the time!

By the way, I was very impressed with the quality of parts in the kits you sent me for the dual carbs on my Nash! Now I just need some of that precious time in the shop to do them!

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

Bills' Auto Works Est 1983 & still going strong!

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Ambassador Custom Lemans
1957 Chieftan 2dr HT
1964 Grand Prix
1966 Catalina Conv. 421
1966 Ambassador DPL 2dr HT
1966 Ambassador Cust. 2 DR HT
1967 Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS Coupe
2007 Cad XLR-V Supercharged Roadster
Old 05-16-2022, 03:14 PM

If someone needs to have a q-jet completely restored, can anyone suggest a good place?
I have correct -255 carb (for my 68 H/O - sorry) but it needs much work.

I'd like to thank carbking for talking me out of buying one of his old carbs - to try and work with what I have. I've been looking for a correct stick-shift q-jet for my 69 GP HO 4spd.
My existing carb (a mid-70s replacement) was not working well, but after talking with carbking and adjusting the secondary flaps to be tighter, I improved my ET by .8 sec and my MPH by 5!
Also thanks to Cliff - great kit for the carb I have.