Old 05-14-2022, 09:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Roger ... what brand chrome spray paint did you use?
Here's what I used for both colors. I really like this cast iron paint and have used it on a bunch of things. It's really a tough paint for rattle can paint and I've used it on several original bolts after blasting them in my cabinet using no primer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220514_074753_resize.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	590829

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220514_074814_resize.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	590827

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
The Following User Says Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2022, 12:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ah, the top was still attached to the frame with the trim sticks - a much more bulky fit than the frame alone...

Old 05-14-2022, 07:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I see. Different ball game with the top still installed on the frame. Then you've got that rear bow to contend with too. Can't see doing that without at least 2 helpers.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
Old 05-14-2022, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wonder how GM did it - I would guess they had a master fixture to attach the top then some jizzy to install it.

Old 05-15-2022, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1 View Post
Spraying the back sides with black SPI epoxy primer was the first thing I did and I posted a photo of them in last week's update:
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...&postcount=692
The backs should be a Dove Grey color. I used a bomb can paint to do the backs. I could see if I still have a can to give you the code. Jeff

Old 05-15-2022, 07:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69gtocv View Post
The backs should be a Dove Grey color. I used a bomb can paint to do the backs. I could see if I still have a can to give you the code. Jeff
Thanks. I had previously read that the insides were supposed to be gray. I could probably have just used the gray epoxy primer that I sprayed the fronts with and they could have passed for what the gray they are supposed to be.
But I prefer the insides of wheels to be black and since this car is a mild restomod, I decided to use the black epoxy on them.

Old 06-04-2022, 10:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

After getting the convertible top motor/pump and cylinders out of my shed and doing a thorough inspection of them, I decided to opt for all-new and bought them from Convertible Service.
I also bought this item from they call their Fluid Master Bleed Tool and wow, it sure made the bleeding process super easy. Zero spillage and makes bench bleeding unnecessary.

After installation and bleeding with a couple of videos going up and down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsECpMboNa0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Ha5f0HWQU

Brought in my side glass and inspected them all much closer than I did before I packed them away. Many more scratches than I noticed before and some edge chipping on the driver door glass. Plus I didn't pay attention enough when I removed them to notice that my car didn't have the option for tinted glass. I sure like that for down here in Texas. So I ordered all new tinted side glass from Auto City Classic. While waiting for those I then cleaned and reinspected all the window regulators and ended up ordering new ones for both doors and one of the quarter windows. That all arrived and I'm in the process of installing.

So far, I have all the regulators, the driver door glass and both quarter windows in place. Also the driver side top weatherstrip and temporarily the windshield pillar seal. I've been lining that side up some but a long way to go still. I think this is going to take a lot of time and patience.

I bought a pair of rear speakers and have them installed. It turned out to be a bit more complicated to install them than I thought they would be. I ended up fabricating some plates in order to hold the top well liner tight around the holes (that will need to be cut) in the top well liner when it gets installed. I made them out of 18 gauge sheet metal.

I also realized it was going to be a bear to install nuts on the rear side to mount the speakers. So, I used JB Weld and glued them directly to the speakers. It's still not easy to hold the speaker from the back and get it to line up to be able to install the bolts but I found it near impossible to do without the nuts held in place.

I blasted the plates clean and painted them black and the speakers installed and wired up and tested.

I may install a speaker grill material on the backs of the plates later. I think I will also apply some thin foam sheeting over the other large holes on the panel where the speakers are mounted. I think that may help the sound some.

Old 06-23-2022, 10:58 AM

Hey Roger, I tried to go back through your thread but it is not all there. I am getting to the coil springs on my 69 and wondered what you ended up doing. Your engine weight went down about the same as mine. Does the car sit like you want? Anything different you would have done? Thx for your input.

Old 06-23-2022, 11:35 AM

Just saw the wheel paint process and WOW!!! Spectacular!
I would talk to Raytheon about an Active Protection System so nothing on Earth attempts to dirty your car once done 😁
You could likely design/build yourself but give yourself a day off!

68 Mustang FB-Green/Black (Bullitt)
Old 06-23-2022, 07:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1969 View Post
Hey Roger, I tried to go back through your thread but it is not all there. I am getting to the coil springs on my 69 and wondered what you ended up doing. Your engine weight went down about the same as mine. Does the car sit like you want? Anything different you would have done? Thx for your input.
My thread look like it's all there to me. Let me know exactly what you think is missing if you would.

I'm not going to decide on what to do about my front springs until the car is completely assembled and at it's final weight. Once I have it there, I'll then be able to judge if the car will have the stance I want. I'm also going to put a set of Airlift bags in the stock rear springs so I will be able to adjust the rear height some. The front springs are Moog 5386 which were on the car when I bought it and they didn't look very old at all.

If the car does ride higher in the front than I want with the 5386, it looks like one step down would be 5390 and the next step down would be 5374.
Here's a chart I made that may help you:

If you are going to make a choice on springs before I do, I'd sure be interested in hearing what choice make and how it turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tininjun68 View Post
Just saw the wheel paint process and WOW!!! Spectacular!
I would talk to Raytheon about an Active Protection System so nothing on Earth attempts to dirty your car once done 😁
You could likely design/build yourself but give yourself a day off!
Thanks! Glad you like my wheels. I am quite proud of them.

Old 06-23-2022, 08:16 PM

Roger it appears it may be my computer doing funny things. I am just disassembling my chassis now for sandblasting etc and didn’t want to put it all together if you had done something different. The weight reduction in our cars is very similar. You will definitely have your car all together before me but I will let you know anything I find. Thx

Old 06-24-2022, 07:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1969 View Post
Roger it appears it may be my computer doing funny things. I am just disassembling my chassis now for sandblasting etc and didn’t want to put it all together if you had done something different. The weight reduction in our cars is very similar. You will definitely have your car all together before me but I will let you know anything I find. Thx
Start a build thread. I'd love to follow!

Old 07-01-2022, 06:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Update

Been a while. I hadn't had as many hours available to work on the car lately and it also took me an inordinate amount of time to get the side windows (and top frame weatherstrip) adjusted to my satisfaction. I also spent some time on the quarter window weatherstrip seals that fasten at the top of the quarters. They weren't bent right and weren't fitting well in the curved area near the door.
I started another thread to ask about these issues and you can see the details and photos there of how I dealt with that:
Need help with installing the convertible top weatherstrip on my '69

I am now extremely pleased how all the side glass fits and I think it's going to seal as well as a convertible possibly can. I have read that replacement side glass can fit differently than original glass. I can't really say though. I didn't have any strange issues getting it all to line up perfectly. It just took me a long time and I had to make little adjustments in the top frame weatherstrip by drilling new screw mounting holes. But the adjustment amount needed wasn't a lot. I have zero complaints with this glass. Got it from Auto City Classic. Sure looks great being all new and I like having it be tinted instead of the original clear. I took new photos of it all today:

I will be removing the stainless windshield post moldings for ding removal and polishing. I will also replace the weatherstrip clips that rivet onto the stainless channels.

A few things done since moving on from the side windows. The 4 brackets that help hold the rocker moldings on were pretty rusty but the metal wasn't compromised. I blasted them, soaked them in vinegar overnight to get the rust out from down in the pits and blasted them again. Then sprayed them with 3 coats of black epoxy primer.
Also got the stainless headlight bulb retainers cleaned and polished.

I epoxy primered the 2 plastic parking light mounting bezels and block sanded them to smooth out. Got them painted today and also painted the 2 new front marker light surrounds.

Next thing is getting the plastic front grilles painted. Haven't decided the best way to go about that yet but have decided I'm going to paint the egg crate parts black like they do with the Judge.

Old 07-01-2022, 08:25 PM

Man, that glass looks GREAT!

Old 07-01-2022, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Everything looks superb, especially the wheels. Fantastic!

67 Bonneville 428 convertible one of one Verdoro green w/parchment, documented GM brass hat parade car with every option for 67, non running MAJOR future project.
Old 07-02-2022, 03:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Simiele View Post
Everything looks superb, especially the wheels. Fantastic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinindian68 View Post
Man, that glass looks GREAT!
Thanks for the compliments guys!

Old 07-10-2022, 05:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default UPDATES

Here's how I went about painting the grilles:
First thing I did was paint the grilles all over with black SPI epoxy. I then lightly scuffed it all except the egg crate centers. I then taped off the parts that remain black before spraying the Argent Silver base coat. Taping the center parts are difficult and time consuming.

This is the same Motobase base coat that I used for the wheels.

After some dry time, I removed the tape and sprayed the entire grilles with SPI Universal Clear.

My original headlight bezel chrome isn't perfect but isn't all that bad either. So I decided to clean them up, repaint the black and then get them installed before deciding if I needed to explore getting others.

First thing I did was tape the chrome edges off and blast the areas to be painted. black. There were a few pits in the bottom part of the inside areas that I filled with JB Weld and then sanded smooth.

Taping the bezel chrome is a real pain to do and again takes a lot of patience and time. I decided the only way to do it was to tape and paint the inside part, let that cure well and then tape off the inside part to paint the perimeters.

Again, used SPI black epoxy primer. I wanted these to remain a semi-gloss so did not spray any clear.

Since my original horns didn't work, I decided to go aftermarket and bought a pair of Hella universal trumpet horns. They are nice and small and were easy to mount and take up less room than originals. They are plastic but sound fine to me and are very loud.

After getting those installed, I was then ready to install the marker lights, parking lights, grilles, headlights, headlight bezels, valance moldings and the header filler panel under the hood. I had to do some adjusting on both the grillles and the headlight backing plates to get them all adjusted to my satisfaction. Several hours over the last 3 days getting it all installed.

I bought a new set of Wagner headlights from Rock Auto but one of them was broken when they arrived. A replacement is on the way, so for now I installed one of the old Sylvania ones that came on the car.

I'm extremely pleased with how well I was able to get the grilles and headlight bezels to line up and match where they meet. I also am pleased with how the paint came out on the grilles. Black centers look a lot better to me especially on a red car. I think the chrome edges on the headlight bezels will be fine. You have to get pretty close to see the imperfections

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2022, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks fantastic!!!!

Old 07-12-2022, 06:12 PM

Your car is looking great won’t be long and you’ll be tearing it up. I wanted to let you know I went with the non AC front coil springs from Ames and standard rear coils. I purchased the complete polyurethane graphite steering package from PST along with same for rear control arms except I’m installing rubber on the upper control arms at the rear differential. I’ll let you know how it all works out once it’s back on the road.

Old 07-12-2022, 10:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It's nice to see her face again after all this time. Soon the bugs will love that fresh paint :\