Old 03-22-2022, 12:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Quarter windows on a post car.

Car: 67 tempest custom (post car)

Issue: After YEARS of dragging feet on a restoration, we're starting to make some more progress. Decided to install the side glass and discovered that the pics we took and the books we have don't give us all the info.

I am trying to source all the weatherstrip/seals to correctly put this all back together as well as maybe a few pics of the process. I've searched here and all over the web and there's similar cars shown but not specifically this one...

And the catalogs I look at are confusing. Not sure all the bits I need for the seals. I have the old ones but they are rotten--(I saved them for reference).

Does anyone have pics of install for the quarter glass especially? And maybe a guide for all the seals I need?

Old 03-22-2022, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Believe it or not, I got mine at a auto glass shop.
However, Mine were not a post car.

They had to order them too.
They also put everything together for me.
Good luck.

Old 03-22-2022, 02:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That was convenient.

I don't think I'll have that luxury. This POST car issue is a PITA. No one cares about the lowly Tempest.

I've gone through a bunch of catalogs and online resources and I'm just not seeing what I need.

Old 03-22-2022, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The post weather strips aren't available, call Restoration Specialties. They have a guy that rebuilds your old ones. I think his name is Jeff.

Old 03-22-2022, 02:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the tip! I'll give them a call.

Old 03-22-2022, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They make everything needed for a post GTO, but I'm not sure how the parts vary for a Tempest Custom. Does the Tempest Custom have chrome edges on the upper window channels like the GTOs do? If so, you need Ames P/N J143D.

J143D:

You'll also need J143M for the back side of the B-pillar:

However, rather than buying the J143M parts, I refurbished my originals by removing the worn out fuzzy strips and replacing them with adhesive backed storm door & window weather seal that you can buy at any hardware store.

You'll also need the window felts for a post Tempest. Those are P/N F227CC:

That should be all you need for the quarter windows.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 03-22-2022, 07:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Awesome info! Thanks. I did not think there were any POST gto's. All the bits should fit the same so at least there's some hope after all.

I'm not sure about the chrome upper- This car was not 100% complete and it's been a "project" in pieces for MANY years. Only chrome on the glass right now is at the "front" edge of the quarter glass.

I've sourced new door fuzzies, and wind lace already.

I need all the rubber bits as mine are worn/rotten. I am interested in your use of hardware pieces. Do you recall the part/model numbers so I can try and find it?

Also, I see the first pic is for the seal for the quarter. But this kit without the J134M renders that window inoperable so I need that strip or the hardware strip

So I am clear, let me break down what I need: (I want to make sure I'm ordering all the right bits)

1. the long rubber strip the front of the door window rides on. (it's in the channel provided by the vent window assembly)
2. the rubber seal at the top of the door the windows seal against when rolled up. F238F (???) $29
3. the front and back channels of the B pillar F238F (??) & J134M $79
4. The seal around the top and back of the quarter window. J143D $149
5 Door weather strip (F235A) $59

OR a weather seal complete kit V732 (??) $245

And maybe some instruction/pics of how to reinstall). I am having a hard time finding much and my pictures aren't as good as I hoped and well, my memory is shot as to how this all went together.

Thanks again for the tips!! It is very much appreciated. Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to buy thing 2 and 3 times in order to figure it all out.

Last edited by boostmaster; 03-22-2022 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-22-2022, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostmaster View Post
Awesome info! Thanks. I did not think there were any POST gto's.
Yes, approximately 10% of GTOs in 1966 were post cars, and fewer in 1967 if I recall. Not many of 'em left!

Quote:
I need all the rubber bits as mine are worn/rotten. I am interested in your use of hardware pieces. Do you recall the part/model numbers so I can try and find it?
Regarding the hardware, I don't have any part numbers. I just have my original hardware in labeled bags. That said, the J143D kit comes with new hardware, so you should be all set there. Either way, the hardware used is nothing special, so you should be able to find something that works at most hardware stores.

Quote:
Also, I see the first pic is for what appears to be the complete seal for the quarter. Or am I mistaken? As the next pic shows that part as the back of the B pillar.
You are correct, mostly. The J143D kit technically comes with everything you need to seal the rear quarter windows, including along the rear of the b-pillar, except the lower felt/fuzzy (which you have already). HOWEVER, the shorter pieces you see in the 1st photo above are the window channels/seals for the rear of the b-pillar. While they will technically allow the quarter window to seal, they differ in their design from stock, and render the quarter window permanently stationary. If you want to retain the use of your quarter windows, you need to use the larger upper channels/seals in the J143D kit and also buy the J143M parts shown in the 2nd photo (or restore your existing parts as I have done). If you buy J143M, you will not need to use the shorter pieces included in the M143D kit. That's all you need to seal your rear quarter windows.

To seal the door glass, you will need the following items:

- F238G, VENT WINDOW SASH CHANNEL (2 NEEDED PER CAR). This is what seals the door window along the rear side of the vent window frame.
- F238F, DOOR SASH CHANNEL (2 NEEDED PER CAR). This is what seals the door window along the top and rear of the window frame.
- F239MS, VENT WINDOW WEATHERSTRIP KIT. This is the rubber seal for the vent window itself. Note: They are on indefinite back order for these.

You can enter these part numbers into the Ames website and see photos & descriptions of the parts: LINK

Last edited by ZeGermanHam; 03-22-2022 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-23-2022, 08:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks again for the clarification. I really appreciate it. This stuff gets confusing.

Am I correct, then, in assuming that (Door weather strip (F235A) $59) is correct for going around the body of the door as it seals to the body of the car? Mine were missing when I got the car so I want to make sure I do this all correctly.

On the "hardware" I asked about, I should have been more clear. You stated you picked up some weather channel from the hardware store. I was curious if you recalled the type/brand/model of the channel that you found so that I would be able to focus my effort on finding something similar. While it is unlikely I would ever roll down the quarter windows, I would like for them to be functional if I can help it.

Old 03-23-2022, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, F235A is what seals the perimeter of the door to the body of the car when the door is closed. Doesn't actually have anything to do with the glass.

As far as the storm door and window weather seal, here is what I bought. I think I bought it at the Home Depot if I recall.

Here are my original quarter window channels that affix to the rear side of the B-pillar. You can see the old fuzzy material that is worn out and compressed from decades of use.

And here is what they look like after I removed the old fuzzy material and bead blasted them.

Appropriately sized storm door and window weather seal will fit right where the old fuzzy material did, and it's designed to serve the same function (to keep out moisture and wind, and allow low-friction movement). I recommend installing them with some quality adhesive rather than relying solely on the adhesive backing they have on their own.

Last edited by ZeGermanHam; 03-23-2022 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-23-2022, 12:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Perfect. Thanks.

I'm working up an order right now.

Quick question- how do you find the fit/finish of the products from Ames? (I've heard that they are one of the premier suppliers)

Also, how do you rate their pricing and customer service/returns.warranty as it relates to other providers?

I've had multiple catalogs from various suppliers and not only is the selection all over the place but also the prices and the customer service is varied as well. Since I've never ordered from Ames, I am curious.

Thanks again for taking the time to walk me through this!

Old 03-23-2022, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ames is unquestionably the best when it comes to parts for Pontiacs. Note that they are just a retailer, meaning they sell parts made by other companies. That said, not all replacement parts are created equal, and Ames typically carries the highest quality parts available on the market. And if there are known fitment/quality issues with a particular part, Ames typically mentions it in their catalog so there are no surprises. An example would be headlight bezels for '66-67. The aftermarket bezels don't fit well, but there are no reproduction bezels that do, so Ames still carries them but they tell you to expect them to fit not as good as a factory original. It's nice to have that info up front so you can make an informed decision.

As far as pricing goes, they are pretty much in-line with the industry standard. There are examples every so often where you might find a part cheaper elsewhere, but you also need to make sure you're getting the same part from the same manufacturer for it to be a fair comparison. One place where Ames stands head & shoulders above most other vendors is their customer service. They are Pontiac experts to the core, so they can always find answers to questions if needed. And in my experience they will help you out if there is an issue with something you ordered.

One place where they do not shine is with shipping, IMO. They tend to be on the high side for shipping in my experience. The minimum you will pay for shipping from them is $10, even if you just ordered a paper thermostat housing gasket that could be placed in a regular paper envelope and sent for the cost of a postage stamp. They will instead put it in a small box and charge you $10 for the ride. So ultimately, it's in your best interest to batch your orders to be as big as possible so you don't get nickle and dimed for more numerous small orders. They also offer a 3% discount on orders $500+ and 8% for orders $1000+. I batched my orders to take advantage of those (admittedly small) discounts as much as possible.

Last edited by ZeGermanHam; 03-23-2022 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-23-2022, 01:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is along the lines of what I was thinking. I've gone ahead and placed my order. ONLY had like $300 so no discounts.

I just need to try and keep some momentum so I can make a dent here and there in the project. I'll get some pics and info posted when this all arrives so that it might help someone else with purchase decisions.

Thanks again for the help.

Would you happen to have some guidance on that quarter window install? The other stuff I see is for Chevelle's and other cars but this one is a little different.

Old 03-23-2022, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unfortunately I haven't tackled reinstalling the glass just yet in my car. I just got it back from the painter a few weeks ago, and I'm focusing on wiring and reinstalling the drivetrain to make it a runner first, so it's going to be a little bit before I get to the glass. Remembering what it was like to remove it, I don't think it should be too difficult to reinstall, though. Famous last words...

Old 03-23-2022, 01:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Indeed. We blew this car apart MANY years ago (like 2011/2012?) I took pics but I still can't make it out.

With this car engine and trans are in. Did a home paint job last summer. Plan is to do sound deadener, headliner, and then all the glass so I can seal the car up. Then some carpet, and then the wiring ... (once wires are out of the way, we'll do the upholstery which will get a bunch of boxes and parts out of the way.

There's still a bunch of stuff we want to do like vintage air, but we need to try and make some progress. Tired of moving and having to push this car every time we move.

Too many projects and never enough time.

Old 03-23-2022, 04:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

These parts must be fairly new, when I did my 65 GTO post none of this was available.

Old 05-14-2022, 09:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I ordered the weather strips and ok. The rubber pieces are really thick. maybe a little thicker than stock so they're tougher to press into the channels.

Additionally, the big piece for the rear quarter is a little flimsy as compared to the original. The original is solid and has a threaded mount AND the weather strip has little nubs that snap into the channel. The new piece is flimsy, requires nut and bolt application AND the weather strip has nothing to orient it or even hold it into the channel. For $150 I expected a little better.

Anyway, started working on all the glass and it's a royal PITA. I have the restoration book and it's not helpful so I've been checking out youtube videos.

As is the norm in this project I have found that I am missing a part. It's always something!

Apparently, I have misplaced the drivers side b-pillar rear glass channel. I'm sure I'll find it as soon as I purchase a new one... Anyway, if anyone has one of these that they would like to sell, please let me know. I've looked around and cannot seem to find one. Would prefer a used OEM piece as opposed to a new aftermarket one. (for reference it looks like the part ZeGermanHam posted in the post with the pic of the home depot weather seal.)

Old 05-15-2022, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm sure I will be experiencing similar hardships with my car in the next month or so.

Hang in there!

You may want to try posting a "wanted" ad for the part you need on one of the Pontiac parts Facebook groups. They tend to be rather fruitful in my experience, so you may have some luck there.

Last edited by ZeGermanHam; 05-15-2022 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm really trying to hang in there. This project is a fight at every step of the way. We managed to get the passenger side door glass and quarter glass installed. (we were going to make it so that the rear window rolled down but got fed up and just put in the new seal which prevents it from moving.

If we remove the handle, any ideas on how to put a "cap" on the end where the handle goes?

Also, when we stared the other side (aside from not being able to find the back of the B-pillar piece), the door glass decided to break loose from it's track. The old rubber had been holding but decided to let go. SO, now I need to source the correct rubber so that I can pinch the window back into its track.

The fun never ends.

Old 05-18-2022, 04:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hunting for the rubber that holds the door glass in place. I've looked through multiple catalogs. What is this supposed to be called? I've checked the local hardware stores to fins something that might work. Can't seem to source what I need. Any ideas? Some pics for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	070.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	591103   Click image for larger version

Name:	071.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	591105   Click image for larger version

Name:	072.jpg
Views:	51