Old 05-19-2022, 11:42 PM

Default Smith Racecraft Rack and Pinion

I put the SRC rack and pinoin kit in my 67 firebird, pretty easy install, everything went together as detailed in the instructions. The steering is kind-of sticky now and takes alot of input to turn the wheel.

Anybody install the same kit and run into a similar problem?

Old 05-19-2022, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How’s the turning radius? Usually when you get rid of all the bump steer the turning radius really suffers

I’m
Not familiar w that kit specifically just other custom
Ones some friends have done

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 05-20-2022, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

When you say it takes a lot of input to turn the wheel, do you mean that the steering effort is high or that you need to turn the wheel in one direction a lot before the car moves to that direction?

I'm not familiar with this kit, but if the feel is bad and driver effort is high, I would suspect either the system is not bled properly, the PS pump has an issue, or both.

Racks typically require less pressure than a typical box to operate. You typically need to reduce the pressure as a result. That said during the bleeding process, if you bled the system with the engine at idle, you can upset the pressure valve in the pump and actually cause a loss of pressure. If that's the case, what needs to happen is you take the check valve apart and reset the shuttle position. Then, refill the system and bleed it again. Turn the wheel back and forth a couple times with the engine off which will get a good bit of the air out. Then, do the same thing with the engine cranking on the starter, not idling. Continue to turn the wheel back and forth until you stop seeing bubbles in the fluid.

Old 05-22-2022, 12:53 AM

So, I figured it out last night. The first section on steering arm shaft (after the column) was bound up on the bracket that attaches to the frame. I opened the bolt hole up a little and everything fell right into place.

Teh turning radius is horrible. Where I could make a 3-point turn on a 2-lane road has now turned into a 5-point turn. But its a drag car, the steering feels more responsive and it took a bunch of weight off the nose of the car!