Old 05-01-2022, 11:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
I think anal may be a little harsh! The bumper fit looks fantastic and your own eye delivers outstanding results. Your work continues to be amazingly impressive.
Thanks for the compliment!
He's right though. I am a bit anal when it comes to any work I do involving my own hands. But I take it as a compliment.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
Old 05-01-2022, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The factors that become more important than the actual assembly manual is that we have to face certain realities such as bumpers that are not straight and true to their blueprints, rear body cushions that have either collapsed somewhat or have been replaced with cushions that may be different thickness or hardness than factory specified and most important is bodies and frames that might have been bent or twisted after 53 years of life.

My key goal when mounting a bumper is to get a sense of evenness around the taillight bezels and upper rear of the quarters. From side view I strive to get the bumper to have an even gap along the vertical pocket formed into the back of the quarter.

I have six cars that use that bumper and my success level varied greatly from car to car…

My brown GTO ragtop (pictured above) has the best end result because the car was never bumped and the bumper is the untouched straight original.

My 4dr LeMans is also quite nice for the same reasons

My green GTO hardtop is also quite good but the bumper is a rechrome and a good one but it has some slight warp that shows a bit under the bezels. Similarly my LeMans ragtop has a dead straight body that was never hit or worked back there but the bumper is a rechrome and the bottom edge has a bow in it, probably someone backed over something and when trying to go forward pulled out the bottom a bit. Whomever chromed it missed it.

My Judge has very nice body panel fitment even though the right tail bezel area had been slightly pushed in. (Like backing into a sharp vertical column slightly outboard of the passenger side frame bracket. During painting we were able to get the tail panel pulled back just right but the original rear bumper was rechromed but they didn’t get the upper right end of the bumper remotely close to straight. I’m on the hunt for a better bumper as this one would be really tricky to get true.

My worst rear end alignment is the one on my brown GTO hardtop. Car had a moderate hit under previous ownership right at the right rear corner. The subsequent restauration did not correct it properly.

The hit was not enough to put any wow into the trunk pan or frame but the tail panel has some distortion that has the right bezel being in a bit on the bottom and the area of the quarter behind and below the Side marker light was actually pushed in enough that the bumper (which must have been replaced outright as it is a rechrome but with no sign of hammering before chroming) is too proud of the quarter panel on the side view. Car has nice paint but once you see what’s wrong you can’t unsee it! The quarter and tail panel will need to be stripped and straightened one of these days.. since the Expresso Brown on the car isn’t quite right (too brassy) I’m afraid that a full repaint is in its future.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 05-01-2022, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
It looked fine to me…but Roger was called out ,in a previous post… that’s where the anal ,came in.
I haven't touched my project in 3 years so I should just STFU!

And both you and Roger post motivating images that clearly set a high bar.

As to the "factory" vs "what looks good", I personally fall on the "what looks good" side of the debate but appreciate the "factory correct" perspective too. I do agree with you that what Roger had done looked great and he should feel good about it. He spends way more time on the details than most and I'm truly impressed by the result.

Old 05-01-2022, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
It looked fine to me…but Roger was called out ,in a previous post… that’s where the anal ,came in.
Jesus….the written word can be taken many ways. Rogers bumper fitment looked good to me. Then another poster said it was improper…and thats when it got a little crazy…to me. Splitting hairs …. Lol

Old 05-05-2022, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wasn't trying to criticize Roger's car. I know how picky he is about
panel fit by what he did on the front bumper.....I was just trying to help because
I know how they were built from the factory.....I've owned one for 50 years. The reason why the center bar is so close to the decklid is because it has been hit
and tweaked at some point...this is why the gap between the bumper and the bottom of the tail light bezels gets smaller as the gap approaches the center bar.
When the car was new, the center bar to deck lid gap would have been about to
spec where he has the bumper now, as the outer corners of the bumper to the quarter panel gap appear to be pretty close to spec, perhaps just a hair high.
At this point, if it was my car I would remove the bumper and get it straightened
in the center bar area( it needs to come out and down). Yes, I am picky, but so is Roger........just trying to help......his car is gorgeous...I'm not trying to criticize it.
When my car was 4 years old a guy rear ended my bumper and tweaked it and
later when I did a show restoration on it I spent 2000 dollars to get the rear bumper right because I couldn't find a better core to use. It's a shame that nobody makes a correct fitting reproduction rear bumper for these cars.

Old 05-05-2022, 08:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Wheels

The next day after spraying the outer sides of the wheels with epoxy primer, I applied a bit of finishing filler to spokes on the 3 factory 15X7 wheels. The 2 aftermarket 15X8 wheel spokes didn't need to have this done.

After block sanding I sprayed a couple of more coats of epoxy primer on them and finish sanded the spokes with 400 followed by gray Scotchbrite. Next I sprayed the wheels with Argent Silver base coat followed by 2 coats of SPI Universal clear. The base coat paint I'm using is Automotive Art Motobase.

Next I put the wheels in my blasting cabinet one by one and very lightly blasted them just to etch them enough to dull the clear. I did this because it was a lot easier than scuffing them with gray Scotchbrite. Here's the first one ready for taping:

It took me about an hour and half to tape each wheel.

Early this morning I sprayed the wheel centers with Charcoal Gray Metallic basecoat.

After letting them dry for about an hour I removed the masking tape and sprayed the wheels with 2 more coats of SPI Universal Clear. I've got a lot of hours in these wheels but I think they came out great.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
The Following User Says Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2022, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You ain't the only one that thinks that!

They were never that nice NEW.

Charles

Old 05-05-2022, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you had to guess…how many hours …not including bead blasting. I did my set ..but it was a while back. …and it sucked …lol

Old 05-06-2022, 01:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Freakin beautiful!

Be honest, have you ever been treated for OCD?

Old 05-06-2022, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Freakin beautiful!

He’s not finished with them yet….still has to sand with 800 then 1000 then 1500 then 2000 then 3000 then 5000 then 8000 …then Hand Rub with compound then Hand rub with Polish……..

Old 05-06-2022, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess there's no chance you're putting trim rings on those.

Old 05-06-2022, 09:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat 67 View Post
You ain't the only one that thinks that!
They were never that nice NEW.
Charles
Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Freakin beautiful!
Thanks!! I'll admit to being anal but I haven't made the leap all the way to OCD. I'm working on it though!

Quote:
If you had to guess…how many hours …not including bead blasting. I did my set ..but it was a while back. …and it sucked …lol
Anyone who's done these understands how much work it is. I really wasn't sure the best way to attack it either and questioned myself a few times on the way I finally chose. Putting them in the blasting cabinet after spraying them with clear I'm sure seemed a bit odd. But it worked well and I'm very pleased.

Quote:
He’s not finished with them yet….still has to sand with 800 then 1000 then 1500 then 2000 then 3000 then 5000 then 8000 …then Hand Rub with compound then Hand rub with Polish……..
You cracked me up with that one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtospieg View Post
I guess there's no chance you're putting trim rings on those.
I know, they will get marks in them but I guess I'll have to live with that. They just look better with them IMO. Sorry Judge owners.
I am however thinking about painting the egg crate parts of the front grille black. That's something I really like about the Judge. No wing for me on this car though.
Got a suggestion about where to buy new trim rings? Are rings the same for the 15X8 wheels on the back as they are for the 15X7 on the front?

Old 05-06-2022, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Those exceed the definition of shiny objects...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shiny-objects.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	590307  

Old 05-06-2022, 01:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Assuming you hadn't done this before as a business...I think you missed your calling.

Heck of a one-man effort!

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 05-06-2022, 03:41 PM
Senior Chief

Exclamation

I know nothing about the correct dimensions of bumper to lights or trunk lid, but I am still impressed with your work, Roger!

If you get tired of restorations and decide to put your skills up for bids ... I'M BIDDING!

Great work, Roger.

Ogre

Old 05-07-2022, 12:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
Those exceed the definition of shiny objects...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post
Assuming you hadn't done this before as a business...I think you missed your calling.
Heck of a one-man effort!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
I know nothing about the correct dimensions of bumper to lights or trunk lid, but I am still impressed with your work, Roger!
If you get tired of restorations and decide to put your skills up for bids ... I'M BIDDING!
Great work, Roger.
Ogre
Wow! I didn't expect my job on the wheels would be such a hit. Thanks for all the compliments guys!

Old 05-07-2022, 07:56 PM
Senior Chief

What do the backs look like?

Old 05-07-2022, 08:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Spraying the back sides with black SPI epoxy primer was the first thing I did and I posted a photo of them in last week's update:
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...&postcount=692

Old 05-13-2022, 07:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
I am waiting to see how you slip the top mechanism into the body tub.
Mine was a bugger to get in - the trim stick hung up ferociously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
Please post multiple shots when you do - I probably did this task wrong.
My wife helped me put the top frame in today. It went right in just as I first thought it would.
We laid it on the floor on the side of the car and she held one end of the top while standing inside the frame. Then she stepped up into the car while I was holding the other side from outside the frame.
I had the lowest bolt stuck into the body on both sides and since the bottom of the top side brackets were slotted, it allowed the top to go right into place.

There wasn't much to it so there wasn't anything I could take multiple photos of like you asked me to do.

Update:
Not much else done since I finished the wheels. I do have the grilles ready for painting. I did a bit of sanding to remove the small places that were left after using the oven cleaner. I then put them in my blasting cabinet and blasted lightly to get them clean. There were a few very small cracks in the plastic and I ground them out a little and used JB Weld to fill followed by sanding flat the next day.

I blasted the front park/signal light housing and stripped the paint housing mounting frames. Lightly blasted those too and repaired a couple cracks as well.
I believe these are made of some kind of fiberglass. Painted them using rattle can chrome for the insides and cast coat for the outsides.
Also blasted and painted the retainers. The frames will get painted red later.

Last edited by roger1; 05-13-2022 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-14-2022, 03:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Roger ... what brand chrome spray paint did you use?