Old 06-25-2021, 08:56 PM
Senior Chief

Default Removing Exhaust Manifold

Is it best to remove standard exhaust manifold-to-head bolts when hot, cold, or it doesn't matter?

Old 06-26-2021, 12:29 AM

if the bolts have been in there for a long time (years) ....heat is your friend.
I just removed exhaust manifold bolts from a Olds 455 and we use a torch to heat the center bolt which is known to break off....it came out in one piece.
Penetrating oil is a waste of time on exhaust bolts unless they are relatively new.
If you are lucky the PO used anti-sieze on the exhaust bolts.

Old 06-26-2021, 11:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

my mechanic friend would get the engine fully hot before removing exhaust bolts.

Old 07-04-2021, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't know if theyre available to rent, but the mini induction tools seem to work great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N7D8q2YHec

Old 07-04-2021, 11:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

But what temperature?

Old 10-26-2021, 10:31 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Turn it in a tiny fraction before you turn it out. Counter intuitive but seems to work. Used to go to junkyards a lot back when they had old cars.

Old 10-26-2021, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW, in absence of heat, rap the end of a rusted bolt with a good sized hammer before you try to loosen it, if you have the clearance to do so. Multiple, hard hits will do wonders to loosen a stuck bolt. You can also use a blunt ended air chisel, if you have one available.

If it's stuck in a casting, or a nut, continually rapping the outside of the casting/nut with a hammer will reform, and clean the threads as you turn it out too.

Just a couple of tips I've learned over the years for dealing with rusty fasteners if you don't have heat available to loosen them.

If you ever have to remove a king pin from a solid I beam axle, hammering the hell out of the eyelet (BFH) will also loosen the rust holding it. I've tried using heat on this scenario, but it seems that heat will actually bind the king pin up. It's actually better to do those cold, and just beat on the outside to dislodge the rust, then the king pin just slides out.

Things I've learned from old timers when younger, now I'm the old timer that needs to pass on these tips to the younger wrenches.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated