Old 03-27-2022, 08:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default seam sealer

getting closer to paint on the underbody. i dont think floor pan braces were seam sealed. it seems (pun intended) it would be a good idea. what do you all think?

Old 03-27-2022, 10:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the same thought when I was at that stage with my '66. Although you are correct in that seam sealing the floor braces will help keep moisture out, I ultimately decided not to seam seal them. I used the following justifications:

- The vehicle is now a fair weather car and will not often see rain.
- The original braces in my car made it 53 years in the midwest without seam sealer and didn't need to be replaced despite other areas of the floor being rotted out.
- I sprayed the floor pan with 2 coats of epoxy primer followed by a rubberized undercoating, so the braces are sealed up pretty good even without seam sealer.
- Seam sealing the floor braces just wouldn't look right to my eye.

I did however seam seal the TRUNK floor braces, because even if incorrect, the extra layer of protection can't hurt and the added sealer can't be seen once the gas tank is installed.

So that's my $.02. I certainly wouldn't criticize anyone who seals the floor braces, though.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild