Old 03-29-2022, 10:25 PM
Senior Chief

Default OLD batch fire EFI ---> new self learning brain box

My 81 TA is efi'ed about 14 yrs ago...I made everything! Holley Commander 950 Universal multi-port system. I can no longer communicate with the OLD windows XP system. I did have it running and was tuning it before the 400 DIED. as anyone swapped out from an OLD injection to a new self learning ECU? I realize the harness change but MOST of the sensors are going to be the same as they are GM basic stuff.

Any system pros?
Cons?

I am looking at the fast EZ retro-fit (fuel and spark)...right now I will drive on the Holley 850 double pumper.....till I get more money to swap.

Old 03-29-2022, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IMHO, your situation personifies the benefits to something like this.
https://www.diyautotune.com/product/ampd-microsquirt/
You can control your old commander set up for fuel, and use wasted CNP(or lockout your distributor and control it) for fully tuneable spark tables. Has enough input for a flex sensor if you're so inclined. The Tunerstudio tuning software is very good, and can provide rev limiter capabilities. Amongst other stuff. It's priced very reasonably for the included features IMO. And then there's the data logging. Very powerful tool there.
ETA: It will self tune, but is fully programmable as well. Pick your poison there.
This would be batch or bank fired for a V8. If you wanna go sequential, they have an option for that, but at about twice the cost. (MS3X)

Last edited by Scott65; 03-29-2022 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 03-30-2022, 10:14 AM
Senior Chief

wow megasquirt has come a long way! I considered BUILDING one back in 06- 07 when I was starting the fuel injection PROJECT!!! but the idea of open source programming along with using a breadboard for assembly was not looking like the best use of my time. I ALMOST went with a FORD EECv computer but again ALOT of cheating to make it drive a HOT 400 cid instead of a lil 302...

Old 03-30-2022, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That unit is probably the most durably built and best sealed of all they offer, including the much more expensive versions. It's a value for those whose needs fit within it's capabilities. It will actually run sequential spark on a 4 or 6 cylinder.

Last edited by Scott65; 03-30-2022 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Correction
The Following User Says Thank You to Scott65 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2022, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Fbird View Post
wow megasquirt has come a long way! I considered BUILDING one back in 06- 07 when I was starting the fuel injection PROJECT!!! but the idea of open source programming along with using a breadboard for assembly was not looking like the best use of my time. I ALMOST went with a FORD EECv computer but again ALOT of cheating to make it drive a HOT 400 cid instead of a lil 302...
MS has come a long way in the last 20 years! It's been quite the ride. I love seeing people out here discussing our stuff and doing killer things with it!

How's your project coming along these days?

The DIY EFI Tuners Guide – How to Install, Configure, and Tune EFI!

Killer Products We've Brought to Life:
MS3Pro, MSPNP and MS3Pro PNP
More info on MSPNP Models
MicroSquirt AMP'd!