Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 03-30-2022, 01:06 PM

Default Thumping noise in right front

64 Bonneville Sport coupe, 389. Problem plaquing me for about a year.
Getting a thump in right front, when going over a bumps or right turn.
Replaced both upper and lower ball joints, replaced shocks, replaced all bushings, replaced wheel bearing. Last change with a friend noticed the noise is gone with passenger in the car. But with just the driver the noise appears. Body off restoration done 7 years ago. I am lost what is the cause or remedy
Tony
kruzn60@yahoo.com

Old 03-30-2022, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

body mount bushing ??

its usually a more fun drive when your with someone anyways

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scott Thelander For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2022, 02:37 PM

Default Thumping noise 64 Bonneville

Body bushings were put in new about 7-8 years ago when the body off resto occured

Old 03-30-2022, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Having worked at a Pontiac dealer on the grease rack in 1970, there are 2 possibilities that we would run across close to what you describe.

One is the pigtail on the springs would make a snapping noise on some cars as the spring turned while it was being compressed. This would happen no matter the steering position of the wheels, suspension compression is the source of it. The cure was to spray the ends of the pigtails with any lubricant as the cars wheels were hanging on the lift. We used ATF to lubricate them. but most any spray oil would work. It's usually the upper spring seat that makes the snapping noise. Of course the lubricant does eventually wash away if you drive in wet weather, so a reapplication is necessary if the noise returns.

The second one is the steering stops on the lower control arm. With the wheels turned against the stops (such as entering, or exiting a driveway) the loading and unloading would make a snapping noise as you traversed the approach to a driveway from the road. The cure was to swab some chassis grease on the stops. This noise would only be heard with the wheels cut all the way to the stops, if not cut completely, there is no snapping noise from the stops. Same goes for reapplication, when it gets dry, the noise will return.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 03-30-2022, 10:54 PM

Default 64 Bonneville

Thank you for the information, I will lift front up Friday, pull the shocks and make sure I get a lot of lube on both ends.
I had thoughts about body bolts abut see they used cage nuts, wonder if those can get out of alignment where bolts are not seated, that was my next thought.
Tony