Old 05-02-2022, 04:25 PM

Default '66 GP trans swap and neutral safety switch issue

I am swapping out the factor turbo hydra-matic (floor console) in my 1966 Grand Prix and replacing it with a factory Muncie 4 speed (floor console). Work is almost finished and I am trying to figure out how to reconfigure the neutral safety switch wiring. Where do I cut the purple wires in the existing auto trans wiring harness so that I can insert the jumper clip (I have the original jumper clip one from the 1966 GP donor car)?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide. If I don't figure this out now I will regret it one day.

Old 05-02-2022, 04:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

...or you could configure a switch on the clutch linkage so that the clutch would have to be depressed in order to start.

Old 05-02-2022, 07:00 PM

Bill:

That is Plan B!

Old 05-03-2022, 02:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question Why

Why do you want a neutral safety switch on a manual change car. They didn't have them when new. No need for one.

And if you set up a system whereby the engine will only start with the clutch pedal depressed, aren't you risking it to fail when you have the clutch pedal out.

Just wondering

Ian

Old 05-03-2022, 10:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to AROWHED

Just jumper at the 2 pin connector for the auto shifter. Personally I wouldn't defeat a safety item though. Also I wouldn't want it on the clutch, cranking with very little oil pressure on engine's thrust bearing while you're forcing the crank forward hard via the pressure plate spring.
Maybe wire it through an automotive relay actuated by the brake light switch, so it only allows cranking with foot on brake pedal. That wont stop you from cranking it in gear, but at least you got the brakes covered. The only other real option is to find a switch that works directly on the shifter, so it must be in Neutral.

Last edited by AROWHED; 05-03-2022 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-03-2022, 12:58 PM

Arrowhed - think I will give you approach a shot and try to jumper at the auto shifter 2 pin connector.

Old 05-03-2022, 10:54 PM
Senior Chief

Mark66,
Believe it or not in 1962 a 4 SPD Pontiac left the factory with a jumper lead to circumvent the neutral safety switch. Check out the link. That should ease your mind a little.

https://www.lectriclimited.com/neutr...-harness-99049