THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-02-2022, 08:32 PM
Boost Engineer

Looks like the Ford House and Edison lab survived just fine but some tree damage to the property.

https://www.news-press.com/story/wea...an/8154150001/

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This was my wife and I's 30th year we have been Vacationing on Sanibel. We rent a large condo in the Sundial resort through a private owner for 2 weeks every year. It is right on the Gulf front, steps from the beach. We got on the island early Saturday morning. The talk on the island on Saturday and Sunday was we were not going to get hit hard. We decided to stay. Monday evening the storm turned a little more east and we were watching closely. Tuesday morning, I decided to get out. We headed for my brothers in Cape Coral Tues. evening, to help with his shutters and spend the night. we had nowhere to go so we rode it out at his house. It was scarry especially because you could not see outside, and we lost electricity and water.
My brother's house had little damage compared to all the homes in his neighborhood. we had no choice but to drive to Fort Lauderdale airport to fly home to Pa. We got home 3:00 Sunday Morning.
You all saw the devastation on the news, but to be there and see it in person is just heartbreaking. Cape Coral and Fort Meyer residents are still in a bad way, and so many other areas.
Dave

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhcarguy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The president of the Sunshine State GTOAA chapter lost his business. Hopefully they'll rebuild.
My uncle lives in Rotunda West which took a direct hit. He's ok but the area is wiped out. Ft.Myers Beach was destroyed. Sanibal Island was destroyed. Marco Island made out ok. Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte and Cape Coral all were hit extremely hard.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr_GTO For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 06:15 PM
Senior Chief

Just got internet back. Got power back Sunday. Eye of storm came over our place on WED @ 5. West winds after eye passage worst I've ever seen. Worse even that the East winds before the center. Thank God the house was well built. Some mfd. home parks around here, looks like an atom bomb went off.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jonsie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 07:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Great you made it out OK!
Do you know if Dave H is OK? (haven't heard anything about him)

Hoping for the best for all the others in the area.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 10-05-2022, 11:42 AM

We are on the Bradenton/Sarasota border. No structural damage but a LOT of trees down. A friend sent up a drone to survey the area. You could see hurricane damage going out for miles, but right in the middle is a 2 block wide path of destruction far greater than anything else. It passed through my property (lucky me) and down towards Sarasota. He feels this was unquestionably a tornado. My neighbors on either side - minimal damage. Neighbors to the north and south - devastated.
We lost power for 4 days, but I installed a generator 5 years ago that kicked in without missing a beat. Internet and phone OK. I just finished installing solar panels last month and all 50 panels remained untouched. I was ready for flooding, but our rain was minimal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6729.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	599985   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4210.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	599986   Click image for larger version

Name:	68617640036__AD31B3D9-D36F-4E3F-AC06-2D259E8A8111.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	599987  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimbobeast For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 11:47 AM

It took a few days and a lot of chain saw work, but things are pretty much back to normal. Anyone need any free fire wood?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6763.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	599988   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6777.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	599989   Click image for larger version

Name:	68635234916__D03C41AD-E087-426E-B471-17853001C1AB.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	599990  

The Following User Says Thank You to Jimbobeast For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 11:54 AM

After losing many, many Pontiac parts when we had flooding in 2014 from (?) Harvey, I made sure everything on lower shelves was in plastic waterproof containers and nothing remained at ground level. The car with the lowest ground clearance got the lift, my two GTO's had enough height to remain out of danger.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6710.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	599991  

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimbobeast For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We finally heard from our friends in Punta Gorda. . They are fine, as is their condo. They did have a little water migrate in from their porch, which is fifteen feet above street level. They both say they should have evacuated. Needless to say they have ridden out their last hurricane.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2022, 06:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Reporting from Port Charlotte, extremely lucky to have no damage to the house. Many homes with roof damage and water intrusion.

8th day with no power, water is supplied by well so no water either.

Son's car had a tree branch fall into the windshield rendering it useless to drive. I lent him my everyday car for work, so using the Lemans to get around. Gasoline is still in short supply so try not to get out unless needed.

No internet and cell signal stinks, thanks Verizon, I will be switching to another carrier soon. People with other carriers can access anything they want, me, lucky to get a text message much less a phone call. Actually suprised if this goes through.

National guard is setup at the local sports park handing out ice, water, sandwiches and MRE boxes. Kudos to them.

Keep you all updated but right now living like a caveman.

Keep safe!