EFI Tech All things EFI and making classics modern!

Old 01-24-2006, 02:16 PM

Question Another EFI question

Considering comverting my 70 455 HO GTO to EFI , this question is more of a
archetictual(sp) questtion than a technical one , does a EFI intake exsist that will allow me to retain the functional Ram air setup for my 70 Gto ?

Old 01-24-2006, 02:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am using the Edelbrock EFI manifold with an Accufab throttle body in a 79 TA with the shaker. The Accufab is only 2 inches tall.

Old 01-24-2006, 02:50 PM

ok that will work .. now one last question ( I might be guilty of wish full thinkig) what about a/c ? which edlebrock manifold they have 3 for ponchos

Old 01-24-2006, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am going with the Torker II EFI since I won't need all that air that the Victors provide. My car is going to be a street car, not a race car.

Old 01-24-2006, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am using the Super Victor on a 455 7K3 heads by SD Performance with a Comp Cams XE 274H. Have AC going with an after markert comperssor.

Last edited by Ollie; 01-24-2006 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Has Edelbrock actually released the kits for sale? Pontiac specific kits were vaporware for a long time. I just wondered if anyone had actually purchased and installed and ran one yet?
I dont like the idea of using Ebrock's proprietary fuel injectors instead of commonly available less expensive pieces but the rest of it seems sensible.

My Daddy bought me a car but all I got was this old Pontiac.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe the Super Victor changes the plane of the carb flange and moves the carb forward or backward from the stock location. The Victor EFI/Torker II is only 0.4" taller than stock and every Holley flange TB I've seen is between 2-3" tall where as the Q-jet is 3.25" tall. You can make up the difference with a spacer.

There are A/C bosses on the Victor EFI/Torker II, but they are moved outboard about 1.5" to clear the fuel rail. I don't know if this is a problem because I'm not running air and indeed, removed one of the bosses.

With the Victor EFI/Torker II manifold, you must use Edelbrock's pico injectors which are pricier than more conventional type injectors but they use the same wire plug as conventional injectors and are compatible with all common computers.

As of a few weeks ago, Edlebrock hasn't released their system. Having gone through this, I don't see much value in it. If like their other systems, you will need to have a custom chip burned and will not be able to use a wide band 02 or other common features.

I have a bunch of EFI info on my website below.

Old 01-25-2006, 02:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

According to the ebrock efi guru, while I was at SEMA...don't expect the kit before summer. I translate this to not in 2006, but that's my translation.

There are other alternatives. You could retain the factory intake if you wanted to, and the q-jet, and just not run fuel to the carb. You just need to hook up a TPS switch to it.

Also, nobody ever said you have to run a single plane intake with efi. It is easier, especially with the fuel rails, but then again this is a hobby and customization is half the fun.

Also, PPR sells the tomahawk, which is easy enough to convert to efi. I will be doing that shortly, but will probably grab ebrocks rails to save some time, and drill the intake myself, if I can borrow the mill from a buddy.

Lastly, the pico injectors are more expensive, and less types available. There are some really, really good prices out there on the standard (Bosch) style injectors...I just scored some used ones for $75 shipped, and the guy threw in 2 efi pumps. And that was for 42#. 36# are usually cheaper. Even new, the 42's can be had for about $250, but I will probably have mine gone through and flow matched.

Old 01-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just did the Tomahawk converstion, with fuel rails & hardware, only cost $450 at Marren ( http://www.injector.com/ ), and turnaround was like 2 weeks. I posted pics on another post, if your interested in how it turned out.

As for PICA injectors, there's only a few available sizes, which further limits applications. And yes, they are more expensive, though I believe the OEMs are moving to this type, not sure if that makes a diff though...

Maintain Ram Air setup, I say Tomahawk, and you can make up the diff with a spacer, as Hammered states.

There's a ton of throttle bodies out there now, and really have become affordable, just maintain compatability of sensors with the ECU type you select.