THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-20-2024, 07:15 PM
Senior Chief

Default DIY pipe coping/angle/tracing tool

Not sure where to post this. I recently came up with a very inexpensive way to “DIY” a complete set of these tools for next to nothing (as I wasn’t about to fork over $400+ for all the sizes I’d need).

The 2 companies that produce these do a fantastic job and if you only need one size maybe they’re a great option. There are other options like the one in the pic below if you just want tracing tools that include standard angle templates (pic below). They also aren’t exactly cheap. Alternatively, you can download and print those templates in any size you need, but I always struggle with scale.

This DIY version is more closely related to the Pipemaster/Centurial tools.

(Directions to follow in the post below)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1175.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	629047   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1177.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	629048   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1176.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	629049  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Entropy11 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2024, 07:52 PM
Senior Chief

First you need a sheet of 2mm Coroplast (Corrugated Plastic Sheet).

You also need 1/16” TIG filler rod (any type you have laying around). You can also buy 1/16 steel rod if you don’t have TIG filler but it’s probably more expensive. I have tons of excess 309L stainless so I used that.

For tape I use Polyken 827 because it’ll stick and flex forever and never let go. You’ll wonder how you lived without the stuff once you use it anyways.

- Cut a 2” or so strip of the plastic sheet (pay attention to direction of corrugation direction)

- Use a straight edge and “break” the top of the plastic sheet between each corrugation. You just want to crease it and not go all the way through. The plastic will begin to curl.

- Wrap the strip you have around the pipe you need to cope the edge of. Be sure to wrap it around the pipe with the creases inward. If you don’t do this it’ll struggle to conform to the pipe. Wrapping it this way also cinches the corrugations to hold the rod better.

- Cut your 1/16” rod into equal lengths of your choice (grinding the edges flat will save your fingertips later on). You can skip and do every other hole if you don’t use them all the time but using every hole makes a tighter fit 🤔

- That’s it. Assemble and you’re done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1178.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	629052   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1195.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	629054   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1186.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	629055   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1187.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	629056   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1190.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	629057  

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Entropy11 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2024, 08:01 PM
Senior Chief

You do get a more professional quality tool if you use a piece of rod in every corrugation. It also helps make them a little more snug. If you don’t use them that frequently you can just swap the rods into whatever side guide you need. The nice part with these is that you can easily and quickly make whatever size you need and not have to worry about ordering a set in “tube” and another set in “pipe” (NPS). You can also use them on square tube which is handy if you use square tube cross bracing on pipe.

* if you have issues with the rod falling out freely, chances are you didn’t crease the void spaces between the corrugations enough or you have the sheet flipped to the wrong side.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1194.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	629058  

Old 02-20-2024, 08:03 PM
Senior Chief

Almost forgot. This is the sheet stock I use. Hope this helps someone!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1192.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	629059  

Last edited by Entropy11; 02-20-2024 at 08:05 PM. Reason: I’m stupid and can’t spell
The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy11 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2024, 01:24 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

That's clever! Thanks for sharing.

Old 02-21-2024, 09:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For repetitive use with the same size tube and angle I 3d print a coping tracer. It does take a few minutes to do the CAD and about an hour to print. The design has an embossed size and angle on it.
It looks like a short piece of tube with the angle/cope already on it, and you just trace it on to the connecting tube.
After a while I ended up with a few of them covering the most common angles and sizes I use (mostly 1" 1.5" 2")

Your dog looks way more helpful than mine.